An excerpt from:
The Devil's Chemists - 24 CONSPIRATORS OF THE INTERNATIONAL FARBEN CARTEL WHO
MANUFACTURE WARS
Josiah E. DuBois, Jr. & Edward Johnson (collaborator)
©THE BEACON PRESS 1952
BOSTON
First Edition - 374pps - Only edition
-----

Contents

        PREFACE.                ix
                        PART ONE
        TOTALITARIAN INDUSTRY -THREAT TO WORLD PEACE?
    1. Easter Hats and Wild Horses      3
    2. Anything Intact Was Beautiful .      8
    3. Before Armies March      14
    4. "If We Lose the Next War —       23
                        PART TWO
                    THE INVESTIGATION
    5. Furth Airport                    31
    6. Digging -January 1947        37
    7. The Address That Wasn't There        44
    8. American Addresses       48
                        PART THREE
                A NORmAL BUSINESS?
    9. "They Will Not Dare Go on With This"     71
10. "Simply a Big Business Concern"     76
                        PART FOUR
            CONQUEST BY INDUSTRIAL ROBBERY
11. How Can You Call It Murder? .       97
12. A Sojourner of Four Countries .     107
13. Without Armies Marching     115
                        PART FIVE
                MASTERS AND SLAVES
14. A Nobel Prizewinner     122
15. "The Fellows Have Let the Rats Loose"       132
16. Gasoline and Rubber Mix     158
17. Some Purely Personal Notes      163
18. The Plain Chemist       169
19. "I'd Be Sure This Is True If I Were You" .      182
20. Everybody Knows, Nobody Knows       193
21. Silver Thickets         207
22. Monowitz                    219
23. A Loud Voice                    227

    PART SIX
    THE MASTERS MARCH

24. International Co-operation  234
25. Like a Stroke of Lightning  252
26. The Short Thrust        258
        PART SEVEN
    THE MASTERS CONQUER
27. An "Invasion in Peacetime"  275
28. "The European States Should Get Together"   282
29. "For in the Woods There Are the Robbers"    287
30. The Final Battle in Sight . 298

PART EIGHT
DAY OF WAR

31. September 1, 1939   307

    PART NINE
    RESPONSIBILITY OF THE MASTERS

32. Generals in Gray Suits  321
        PART TEN
    DAY OF JUDGMENT
33. How Sorry We Are .      338
34. An Extraordinary Standard   348
35. The "Bulwark" Foreign Policy .  357

APPENDIX

Organization Chart of I.G. Farbenindustrie A.G. 364
List of I.G. Farben Defendants  365

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS.    368

INDEX   370

The illustrations are grouped together following page 78
=====
Preface

To UNDERSTAND THE FULL SIGNIFICANCE of this story, bear in mind that today
the main characters — defendants in the most farreaching criminal trial in
history -are all alive and free to work against the way of life you and I
cherish.

Today a great struggle is being waged for the political allegiance of men.
The United States of America has been steadily -losing in that struggle since
the end of World War II. In seven years the free world has lost to Communism
half of Europe and large areas of Asia. This amounts to the loss of over
eight hundred million people who once regarded themselves as our friends and
allies.

The foreign policy of the United States demonstrates that most of our leaders
understand little of what has happened in Europe and Asia during the last
generation. We have challenged disillusioned hearts with only a hodgepodge of
defensive tactics. It is my belief that we lost the support of most of these
people because we appealed to them almost entirely through our own fears,
with little regard for their real hopes, dreams, and needs. To replace
Communist bread, often we have spread our own table reluctantly and too late.
Often we have countered the vicious Communist evangelism only by negative
argument. Most important, we have poured salt on the ugly wounds which
certain hated industrialists have cut into four continents.

For ten years the average European and Asian has understood my story better
than our leaders yet understand it. I believe also that the average American,
should he read this book, will have a better understanding than his
government of how Europeans and Asians feel about the facts. To those who
sickened in the 1930's at the news that American scrap iron was being sold to
Japan; to those who later observed with disgust the failure of the League of
Nations to put teeth into its economic "sanctions" against Italy when she
invaded Abyssinia; to those who recently cried shame On the shipment of
British war-potential goods through Hong Kong to the Chinese Red Army; to
those who are flatly opposed to doing strategic business with any
totalitarian institution, whether by direct sales or outright political
subsidy -to all those, this book is recommended.

The full story of all the industrial groups that have deliberately bred war,
or have deliberately shut their eyes to the breeding of war, could not be
contained in ten books. I have limited my story to the single group of men
whose vast influence epitomizes all the others — a group that is still many
years ahead of all others in the techniques of waging, in "peacetime," a
future war.

Unbelievable as it seems, the defendants in that trial are back in power in
Germany today. Their Oriental collaborators are back in power in Asia. We
have been so afraid of Communism that we have been willing to resort to
almost any expedient in our hysterical effort to stem the tide. Fearful
reaction has lost us all those who looked to democracy for an inspired and
positive program. The wisdom of helping such men form a vital bulwark of
defense against Communism will be seriously questioned, I am sure, by almost
every reader. To rely upon the generals-in- graysuits who shared the
responsibility for World War II, to ally ourselves with groups which have
been allied with Russia more than once before, suggests the probability that
if World War III breaks out, they will be fighting for Soviet Russia, not for
the West. And in treating such groups as friends, we are losing true friends
all over the world.

The crucial question to ask after reading this book is: What will happen if
these men and the forces they represent align themselves with Communist
aggression rather than with the freedom-loving peoples of the world?

In condensing 150 large volumes of testimony within one average-size book, a
great deal of material has necessarily been eliminated. Nevertheless, I
believe that every significant aspect of this historic criminal trial has
been brought to the attention of the reader. If material has been taken out
of context, it has been done in such a way as not to distort its basic
meaning.

As a guide to the reader, we have included in the appendix an organization
chart of the industrial concern known as I. G. Farben and a list of the
twenty-four defendants in the trial, together with the positions they held.

J. E. D.
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.