-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

ARTICLE 7
The Sergeant's Corner - Cold War Training and Leading Remembered
Ed.: A good perspective about team training and salvaging problem troops.

By Marc J. Custer

Although I have been out of the Military for nearly 15 years, I follow it as
best I can. Your recent article was right on the money. All the fancy and
high tech weapons and equipment aren't worth anything unless we have soldiers
of even higher caliber.

I used to get sick of all the over again and over again training we used to
do as enlisted. But I would swear by it once I became an NCO, because simple
things like changing a 50 cal. barrel was second nature, or coming out of the
back of an A.P.C. was like a football team coming up to the line of scrimmage
knowing how to execute the play automatically.

It seemed hard to come up with new ways to do the same old things at NCO time
training in garrison. There were some groups of NCOs that I worked with that
the teamwork between us actually made such training periods fun for the
troops. I learned things from everyone as we all did. It was the collective
experiences that we shared, as each of us had their own area that we excelled
in, and passed it on to our soldiers.

Even off duty, like on a Saturday morning a platoon would get together and go
off into the woods and train on how to engage snipers (or terrorists) with
SSG McNiel and our Platoon Leader acting as the snipers (McNiel was good!).
There was so many ways to be creative back in the 1980s. The equipment was
still old but the troops trained well.

I feel that the Cold War was a motivation that inspired some of us. Since
it's end I feel there is something lacking to inspire the Military. The
missions are unclear, or less of a threat. The unsaid stress of the Cold War
in a soldiers mind was what drove many to excel. For others it weeded them
out, as they turned to alcohol or drugs. Unlike many, I choose rehab instead
of punishment for them. I understood the stress, and the mechanisms for
dealing with them. Keep them busy, keep them focused, and encourage them to
do better (not scold them for failure, none of us are perfect).

ARTICLE 8
And the Public Wonders why Recruiting is so Difficult?
Ed: Know the underlying causes for the problem, before you implement the
fixes.

Col Roderick Smith, USMCR (Ret.)

Enthusiasm for the military life is a calling, not a job. As with any true
calling, it is based on the willingness to subordinate individual thoughts
and concerns, including the concern to protect one's own life, for the good
of the group and the mission. It is teamwork at its heart and teamwork in its
most complex form.

Such enthusiasm is gained by experience, self-discipline and camaraderie.
Recruits rarely have it, although must hold the potential for it. Military
recruits join their service for three primary reasons: (1) Membership-the
opportunity to belong to a prideful organization and to show off that
membership, (2) Challenge-the ability to undergo, endure and conquer physical
and mental circumstances well beyond ordinary, daily life, and (3)
Adventure-consistent with numbers 1 and 2 above, the opportunity to
participate directly or vicariously in exciting, demanding and potentially
dangerous activities. Service in the more "safe" military occupations-cooks,
accountants, administrators - must be viewed as valuable parts of the overall
combat team, or they become mere civilian employment.

A military calling finds its core in the warrior's spirit...the burning
desire to close with and kill your enemy, and to defeat his cause...all while
operating under a cloak of honor and national values. Any soldier, sailor,
airman or Marine excelling in his occupation, but eschewing this warrior
spirit, is merely a good, civilian employee in uniform. Camaraderie, the
ability to share this warrior's spirit with others undergoing substantially
identical experiences and challenges, is the glue holding the system
together.

Military pay must be present and sufficient to support the consistency of the
system, and to provide for an appropriate level of lifestyle for rank
attained. So long as fundamental fairness and ability to support oneself are
adequately maintained, attraction of pay is not a prime motivator to a
calling.

How to defeat a military system:

Encourage individuality in uniforms, haircuts, attitudes, decorum and speech
patterns.

Eliminate participation in physical fitness and traditional "macho" military
activities.

Affirm the notion that all military duties are merely civilian jobs in
uniform...with benefits, worker's compensation and salaries commensurate with
other civilians.

Assure the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines that national values, pride
and honor are passe, and that warfare technology is omnipotent and
controlling.

Destroy the integrity of the team through lack of discipline and with public
displays of favoritism in special rules/duties assigned, responsibility and
culpability, special pay allowances and awards.

Cheapen and debase awards for valor and personal excellence through mass
grants and hollow justifications.

And the American public wonders why recruiting is so difficult.

ARTICLE 9
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The LAV - Inadequate to Handle Ambush Threats
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ed.: In a letter to his Congressman, this veteran and engineer points out
significant weaknesses of the interim brigade combat platform.

By Bruce G Heron

Dear Congressman----

I have been an engineer for 32 years. I also am a West Point graduate and was
a Major in the regular army specializing in teaching the use and employment
of armored vehicles. I have never written to an elected official before, but
this issue is so important to the country that I feel I must write to you now.

Recently the US Army made a much-publicized award to buy wheeled armored
vehicles for its Interim Armored Vehicle program from GM of Canada and
General Dynamics for nearly $4 billion. My company lost the competition even
though our bid was half as much, met the Army's requirements, used proven
technology, and would be delivered at least a year sooner.

As a taxpayer, I am disturbed when my government appears to be wasting tax
dollars. United Defense has instituted a protest to the GAO. More
importantly, I am convinced that these wheeled vehicles are not adequate for
their intended role. They will be death traps to the US soldiers in combat.

I acknowledge that wheeled combat vehicles are ideally suited for
peacekeeping roles such as patrolling, operating checkpoints, escorting
convoys, guarding prisoners, and transporting VIP's, but the Army's military
police are already getting the wheeled Armored Security Vehicle for these
tasks.

The Interim Armored Brigades with the new vehicles are to be the reaction
force that will be used when the peacekeeping forces or US logistic
facilities are attacked. A relief force has to expect that it will be
ambushed, yet wheeled combat vehicles are very vulnerable when ambushed. The
Russian forces recently experienced this in Chechnya.

The last time the US Army used any wheeled combat vehicles was in World War
II, so many Army officers may not be aware of this weakness. In 1966 and 1967
I was the Senior US Advisor to the Vietnamese Armor School, training their
troops to use their hundreds of armored cars and half tracks as well as their
tracked M41A3 tanks and M113 Armored Personnel carriers of their Armored
Force. All our experience showed that using wheeled vehicles in a reaction
force was inviting disaster.

The attack on the outpost was often just a ruse to draw the reaction force
into the ambush. An effective ambush is situated in a location where the
relief column, especially if wheeled, cannot get off the road. As the US Army
recently experienced in Panama and in Somalia, the road at the forward end of
the killing zone is usually blocked by abandoned cars, pick-up trucks, or
other barricades.

Tracked vehicles are often able to avoid being trapped in an ambush by simply
driving over the top of the cars or by pushing the obstruction out of the way
without stopping. The wheeled LAV is unable do either. If tracked vehicles
are unable to breech the obstruction, all the vehicles in the column
immediately execute a 180 degree pivot turn and drive out the rear of the
killing zone. The LAV, like most wheeled vehicles, cannot pivot about its
center. The driver cannot see well to the rear so he cannot back-up without
crashing unto the LAV's behind him or running over friendly troops. Turning
around a column of LAV's is somewhat like turning around a column of 15
school buses on a single lane road. Imagine doing this under fire in the
killing zone of an ambush.

I hope you carefully review the wisdom and fairness of the present award
decision. I also hope you ask the Army how the LAV will handle ambushes.

ARTICLE 10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Military Spouse Perspective: The Fear Factor
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ed.: Cindy is a military enlisted spouse and has written for SFTT before. In
this piece she addresses the fear factor as a major leadership problem that
undermines the enlisted officer relationship, thus contributing to the
attrition of good soldiers.

By Cindy Neil

While there are many virtues to the all volunteer military, I think it is
time for those of us who are involved with the military to pay closer
attention to some of its downsides. I would like to point one out for your
consideration: The fear factor.

There was a time when the motto of the officer corps as produced by West
Point was "Duty, Honor, Country". It appears that this motto has been
replaced by many with, "Power, Perks, and Prestige." The object is not to
lead warriors into battle but to accumulate the privileges of rank, as
exemplified by chauffeurs, private jets, and decent housing. And once you
have attained these benefits you do anything to protect them.

This has been made easier with the advent of the all-volunteer force. When
soldiers were drafted, it was far easier to call officers to account for
misdeeds because most of the ordinary soldiers had no intention of staying in
the forces, they would do their obligation and get on with their lives. And
if soldiers were mistreated by officers, they could, and very often would
raise hell about it.

But with the advent of the military as a career in the lower ranks, it has
become steadily easier for officers to manipulate standards, ignore
regulations, and just plain break laws, because if you have over 6 years
invested in the military it just isn't prudent to "make waves". Even if you
KNOW that these things have occurred. You have too much to lose, like your
career. Like your job prospects for the future, like your honorable name.

Officers hold all of these things in the palm of their hand, once you have
signed on the dotted line these days. How many of you know of officers who
have played fast and loose with Army regulations but you didn't feel it was
worth risking your CAREER over?

Pundits keep asking, "Why does everyone keep leaving?"

Lack of trust in senior leadership keeps coming up as an answer. Behind lack
of trust is fear.

There is fear that these officers won't back you up when you need it the
most. There is fear that if you don't let this breach of regulation slide, it
will affect your NCOER, which will affect your career.

There is fear that you will be held responsible for some officer's screw up
because "officers don't make mistakes". The fear that if you report some
major error an officer has made, he will make your life hell because you
"can't afford" to get out.

I have lived through this fear. I have known others who live with this fear
on a daily basis, because in the all-volunteer army at least, senior officers
hold all the power cards.

I have seen people sent for mental health exams because they refuse to play
ball. I have lived with mail, stolen and opened, because officers were
looking for anything to bully a man of integrity. I have lived with officers
lying to Congressional Investigators. I have watched officers hand out phony
Article 15s to try to ruin soldiers' careers.

And most important of all, I have seen the officers who committed these
actions suffer no negative consequences from doing so over and over again.
Because officers protect their own from the top down. Because the authorities
whose job it is to investigate this kind of criminal behavior (CID and the
local IG), actually work hand in hand with it to cover up these actions.

If this sort of abuse of trust has happened on one post to multiple soldiers'
logic dictates it happens on other posts to other soldiers. I only know what
I have lived through and observed.

My husband and I fought for the truth and as his colleagues observed the day
we left for the last time, we won simply because he didn't lose. Is that
acceptable? No, but it is the reality I have experienced. And nothing I have
seen yet indicates this will change anytime soon.

There cannot be trust without honor. Who can honest soldiers trust in today's
all volunteer army? No one.

ARTICLE 11
Political Opinion: GW Bush -- Special Trust and Confidence...
Ed.: This letter is a response to Scott Key's recent article in which he
warns that even with a new administration, we might not be our of the woods
yet. Our Marine writer stresses the element of hope and the track records of
the incoming political leaders.

By Augustus McRae, Capt, USMC

While it is true that any politician bears a good degree of scrutiny, (e.g.
whatever happened to the "Contract with America"?), I would also venture a
guess that the propensity of the perfumed princes for acting out of their own
self-interests will, for a change, work in our favor.

The current slate of prospective cabinet members are those same people who
have been decrying the outgoing administration's tendency to place us in
compromising theaters with no end-state. The Powell doctrine? Powell is the
new SecState, and woe be it to the near-sighted politician that stands in his
way to confirmation. VP Cheney has been on the point throughout the election
and the transition period getting information on the exact state of
readiness/unreadiness of today's military.

The heir apparent to the National Security Advisor post, Condoleeza Rice, has
also been saying good things regarding the use of armed forces, recognizing
that the current force has been over-committed for close to a decade. The
incoming SecDef , Mr. Donald H. Rumsfeld, has worn the uniform before, and
made a name in the Ford administration for opposing the Bismarkian tripe that
emanated from Secretary Kissinger.

The fact of the matter is this: the people that we are about to install are
going to want answers from the Generals that make sense. The incoming
administration will demand out of these sycophantic individuals that they do
what they claim, and I firmly believe that they will not accept the circular
rhetoric that has been coming out of the five-sided singularity of waste like
the smell of un-vented port-a-crappers since 20 January 1993.

Those of us in uniform have been crying out for good leadership since GW's
old man started playing golf for a living. Now I think we have it. Those that
have been advancing agendas that seek to modify the overall mission of a
standing army, i.e. shooting people in the grill, will not have a receptive
audience.

What's more, these meddlers know it, and they will come to realize that
trying to create a force of non-drinking, non-swearing eunuchs in the current
political atmosphere will not serve their careers. Therefore, they will
demand that their subordinates train as God intended: Hard. They won't bother
to ask questions about the methods, since it has generally been so long since
they have actually seen actual training. We will build it, and they will
come.

Trust is the most vital component of a relationship, whether it be leaving
your wife to go on deployment, or trusting that the skipper knows what he's
doing when faced with a hard decision. Trust between the leaders and the led
is a hallmark of every elite fighting force that the world has ever seen. We
can go there again. We can experience the satisfaction that comes with
forging a hard unit out of disparate individuals. However, the first step
will always be a willingness to be led. Without that initial willingness on
our part, I think this whole thing will come down around our ears. I think it
necessary that we as fighting men give the incoming administration the
benefit of the doubt for now.

There is here, as there always is with a new commander, the possibility that
this hope will be misplaced and things will not turn out as we would wish. We
must allow for that, knowing that we are the professionals who will stand the
post long after the current quadrennial chain of command has been relegated
to Sunday morning talk-shows. However, I urge that every one of you to look
to the hope that you have held since the current administration sat down and
began to meddle out of their ken, and begin to believe that change is not
only possible, but probable, and that we have a unique opportunity here to
mold things according to our liking.

Our opportunity is here, if we stand on the sidelines bitching that we aren't
receiving everything we want in the exact manner in which we want it, then it
will pass us by. We will then be left with nothing to point to, no scapegoats
to slay. We will wonder why nobody listened to us, when the fact of the
matter is that we had but to speak. Do me a favor; go ask a Corporal what he
would change. After he asks for free beer and easy women, listen to what he
says and remember it. I'll bet you a six that he's saying the same sorts of
things that are being talked about in Austin.

ARTICLE 12
Troop Health: British Navy to Withdraw Uranium Shells
Ed.: A British report that didn't make many US papers. Why are the Brits
taking uranium core ammo off their ships. There have also been questions
about DP ammo also containing traces of plutonium which could be the main
reason the ammo is turning out to be a health hazard. More reason to stay
alert and press for answers. Article found in Times Newspapers Ltd., 01-13-01.

BY MICHAEL EVANS, DEFENCE EDITOR

THE Royal Navy is being forced to withdraw depleted uranium ammunition
because the Americans who supply it have banned it from their own warships
over safety concerns.

The Navy is believed to have known for ten years that the ammunition, which
is used for its Phalanx anti-missile system, poses specific risks. The Navy
will completely phase out DU from all Phalanx ammunition only by 2003, years
after the Americans replaced DU with tungsten.

A document drawn up for ships deployed to the Gulf during the 1991 conflict
is understood to have warned firefighters tackling a DU store that exploded
to wear full nuclear, chemical and biological protective clothing.

A former Navy support service employee confirmed yesterday that warning had
been given about DU dangers during the Gulf conflict.

Fourteen Navy warships still have depleted uranium projectiles on board,
although the US Navy started phasing out stocks more than ten years ago for
tungsten, which is not radioactive and far less toxic.

The American manufacturer of DU naval ammunition has stopped the production
line. An American Naval Sea Systems Command history written in 1989 says:
"The tungsten penetrator provides improved round effectiveness while
eliminating safety and environmental problems associated with DU."

The decision by the Americans to switch from DU to tungsten, partly for
safety reasons and partly because the non-radioactive material is more than
sufficient to knock out an incoming missile, has given the Royal Navy no
alternative but to follow suit. However, tungsten ammunition will be
significantly more expensive.

The switch has begun but the ships which still have DU rounds are HMS Ark
Royal, the aircraft carrier, although she is currently in refit and may be
adapted for tungsten-only ammunition, the 11 Type 42 destroyers, HMS Ocean,
the new helicopter carrier, and HMS Fearless, the amphibious assault ship.

Two Royal Fleet Auxiliary replenishment ships, Fort Grange and Fort Austin,
have the Phalanx system, but they have only tungsten ammunition. The other
ships have a mixture of DU and tungsten.The Phalanx Gatling gun which fires
bursts of 20mm ammunition at 3,000 rounds-per-minute, is a "close-in" weapon
which is a warship's last line of defence against enemy missiles.

The weapon was introduced into the Royal Navy after the 1982 Falklands War in
which no British ships had a point-defence system.

The role of DU weapons in general is now being examined because of the alarm
expressed by Gulf and Balkans veterans over feared health risks arising from
the radioactive dust given off after detonation. The Navy said the radiation
hazards from DU ammunition in ships were minimal but agreed that tungsten was
"less hazardous".

Like all such materials brought on board ships, they had "hazard sheets"
attached which laid down what action to take in the event of an accident or
fire.

However, a Navy spokesman said that if there was a major fire in the DU
ammunition magazine, it would first be automatically flooded which meant any
radioactive dust would be absorbed into the water. "Firefighters would have
to be fully protected as they would for any fire of that nature but that
doesn't mean they would need NBC kit."

ARTICLE 13
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GI HUMOR - Different Standards Of Hygiene
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ed.: After last week's fratricide by Army on Navy, navy strikes back
ruthlessly...AF is still circling the target area, while the Marines are
hunkering down.

A Midshipman and a Cadet are both using the men's room. When they their
business, the Midshipman heads for the door, while the Cadet for the sink.
The Woop calls to the Mid, "At West Point, they teach us to wash our hands
after using the bathroom" The Mid replies, "At Annapolis, they teach us not
to pee on our hands."

ARTICLE 14 - MEDAL OF HONOR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ed.: WWII, February 1945 - Pacific. Marine ground action on Iwo Jima. Robert
Dunlap was the second cousin of Medal of Honor recipient Admiral James
Stockdale. He passed away in Illinois.

If you know of any MOH recipient who is hospitalized or has passed recently,
please write James H. Also, if you would like more info on MOH recipients and
their stories, please email James H at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
DUNLAP, ROBERT HUGO

Rank and organization: Captain, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Company C, 1st
Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division. Place and date: On Iwo Jima,
Volcano Islands, 20 and 21 February 1945. Entered service at: Illinois. Born:
19 October 1920, Abingdon, Ill.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life
above and beyond the call of duty as commanding officer of Company C, 1st
Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy
Japanese forces during the seizure of Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands, on 20
and 21 February, 1945.

Defying uninterrupted blasts of Japanese artillery, mortar, rifle and
machinegun fire, Capt. Dunlap led his troops in a determined advance from low
ground uphill toward the steep cliffs from which the enemy poured a
devastating rain of shrapnel and bullets, steadily inching forward until the
tremendous volume of enemy fire from the caves located high to his front
temporarily halted his progress.

Determined not to yield, he crawled alone approximately 200 yards forward of
his front lines, took observation at the base of the cliff 50 yards from
Japanese lines, located the enemy gun positions and returned to his own lines
where he relayed the vital information to supporting artillery and naval
gunfire units.

Persistently disregarding his own personal safety, he then placed himself in
an exposed vantage point to direct more accurately the supporting fire and,
working without respite for 2 days and 2 nights under constant enemy fire,
skillfully directed a smashing bombardment against the almost impregnable
Japanese positions despite numerous obstacles and heavy marine casualties.

A brilliant leader, Capt. Dunlap inspired his men to heroic efforts during
this critical phase of the battle and by his cool decision, indomitable
fighting spirit, and daring tactics in the face of fanatic opposition greatly
accelerated the final decisive defeat of Japanese countermeasures in his
sector and materially furthered the continued advance of his company. His
great personal valor and gallant spirit of self-sacrifice throughout the
bitter hostilities reflect the highest credit upon Capt. Dunlap and the U.S.
Naval Service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDITOR'S NOTE:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For Article Submissions:

1. Try to keep articles to 700 words or less. SUBMIT IN WORD FORMAT, if
possible!

2. Submit your piece to one of our subject matter experts who can assist you
in pre-editing prior to final publication decision, unless you feel strongly
that your issue is so hot that Zimm needs to see it personally and
immediately. SFTT is not trying to duplicate a rigid chain of command with
titles and perks.

R.W. Zimmermann
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
GLOSSARY OF MILITARY ACRONYMS:
We've had numerous requests from troops in different branches of the military
to establish this link so that we will all know how "all you others" talk
that talk. Please see below:
http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/doddict/acronym_index.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
***** HACK BOOK SALES *****
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hack's books About Face*, Hazardous Duty*, The Price of Honor* and The
Vietnam Primer can be found at www.hackworth.com. They make a great addition
to any library. Hack is offering them at a special SFTT price.
Defending America Newsletter Administrative Volunteers:
R.W. Zimmermann, Chief Editor/President of SFTT and Tank Commander
David H. Hackworth, Spirit Guide, and undisputed Y2K Expert
Bill Rogers, Assistant Editor and SFTT Vice President
Barry "Woody" Groton, Chief TECH DROID and Medicine Man
John Cloven, Master Web Manager
Ed "Edgar" Schneider, Copy Editor, Man of Letters and gentleman:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
James H., MOH Editor and NCOIC
Jim Leach, News Research Snoop, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pat Hays, Zimm's Right-Hand Grammar Guru
Defending America

VOLUNTEER EDITORS/SPECIALISTS

NOTE: The following list only includes the two primary assistant editors for
each service or special area. Please refer to our WEBSITE -- www.sftt.org,
for the complete listing.
ALL Letters and Articles for considered publication should be submitted to
one of our brave, resolute and caring volunteers.
U.S. Army:

Tig Dupre, Civil-Military relations, weapons expert and Senior Editor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

CPT Scott Key, Armor, Generalist, Assistant to Chief Editor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Robert L. Duecaster, Legal
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

U.S. Navy:
Mark Crissman, Naval Aviation, Generalist and Senior Editor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Pat Nisley, Navy Generalist and XO
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

John J. Vanore, Surface Warfare, Reserve and Intelligence issues
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

U.S. Air Force:
Paul Connors, Senior Editor -- AF Historian, grunt, procurement expert,
grammarian, spell-checker and other odds and ends non-expert.

AirCrew issues
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sean Fermat, Fighters, WSO, Weapons, C&C, Generalist
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

U.S. Marines:

Maj. Gordon Todd, USMCR, Communications & Tech., Small Arms Training, Senior
Editor.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Capt A. McRae, Marine generalist
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
US Coast Guard
Tom Grabowski
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Department of Defense
Mike St.Clair Acquisition and Quality Assurance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]