-Caveat Lector-

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Fast Track Again
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:06:07 -0600 (CST)
From: Michael Eisenscher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

           Fwd: NEW What the Democrats are Doing
     Date:
           Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:24:09 -0800
    From:
           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       To:
           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fast Track is going to be one of the most important first struggles against
the Bush administration as it was against the Clinton administration.  Their
positions are the same.  "Give me fast track and I will push through the new
Free Trade Area of the Americas."  In the documents on this new free trade
initiative that have just been released, all of the most horrendous free
trade efforts are coming around again.  The things that we had defeated,
with
the huge help of the Europeans who first exposed it, we defeated the
Multilateral Agreement on Investment.  In the new FTAA, it is fully
developed.  It would allow corporations to sue nations -- all nations-- that
stand in the way of corporate profits.  This means that any country that
continues to want to control its own health care institutions, schools,
postal services, water, electricity, environmental protection, nursing care,
elder care, social security, etc. will be subject to suit supported by the
dispute mechanism of the World Trade Organization unless they allow the
corporations to take over and make profits on these public services.

It is important for us to throw a lot of energy into stopping Fast Track.
These horrendous free trade changes are not inevitable.  The Europeans have,
so far, been able to resist.  The Asians are resisting.  The attempt now to
corral Latin America, the Caribbean, U.S. and Canada into the FTAA as
quickly
as possible is an attempt to save this effort on the part of the
corporations
and the free trade consortium.  We can stop them.

For those who would like to see an analysis of the FTAA, let me know and I
will try to e-mail the whole thing to you.  I am forwarding an article about
the so-called New Democrats who are eager to support Bush in rushing to get
fast track so that we can unify our position and our work. Adelante.

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To SUBSCRIBE, send a blank message (nothing needed in the subject or the
body) to:
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a blank message to:
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

___________________________________
FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which
has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are
making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of
environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific,
and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of
any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US
Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material
on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a
prior interest in receiving the included information for research and
educational purposes. For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml If you wish to use
copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond
'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

/=-=-=-=-Click Here & Support Our Sponsor-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=\
Buy Shoes Online at Zappos.com:
1. Fast, Reliable Site 2. Devoted Customer Service 3. Great
Shoe Selection 4. Price, Fit, and Satisfaction Guaranteed.
http://click.topica.com/aaabe7b1dc1Ab1jclkc/Zappos

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
This is a read-only list, but if you have an item you want posted, send it to the
list moderator at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, who will determine whether it is
appropriate for redistribution.  You can temporarily suspend delivery by sending a
request to the same address.  Notify the moderator at the time you want delivery
resumed.  You can also manage this function yourself by going to the list at
<www.igc.topica.com/lists/Solidarity4Ever.

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01