pertinent question is: Did President Clinton arrange for Rich to
make the visit without fear of arrest?"  --MS]

Irate Burton Pursues Investigation

Friday, January 26, 2001
By Rita Cosby and Sharon Kehnemui
FOX News

WASHINGTON — The Chairman of the House Government Reform
Committee says he wants an explanation why a fugitive billionaire
was given a pardon by President Clinton on his last day in
office.

Rep.  Dan Burton, R-IN, a vocal Clinton critic, has requested
documents from six locations in Washington, including the
Department of Justice (DOJ).

"We want to have some kind of explanation to the American people
why this pardon took place," Burton told FOX News.

"I think the American people are owed an explanation and because
Bill Clinton won't give them one, we think it's our
responsibility to make sure that they know what happened."

Burton says he wants to know why Marc Rich, a billionaire who has
been living in Switzerland since 1983, was among the 140 pardons
Clinton granted on his last day in office.  Rich and partner
Pincus Green were indicted in one of the largest tax evasion
cases in history.  Green was also pardoned.

Rich's ex-wife Denise Rich, a Grammy-winning songwriter, is a
Clinton pal and a big campaign contributor to the Clintons and
the Democratic party, donating more than $1 million.  She also
gave a pair of coffee tables and chairs to the Clintons recently,
worth more than $7,000. Burton wants to know if there is a line
connecting those dots.

"Mr.  Rich's former wife...  was told by President Clinton that
he would not forget her kindness and her largesse at a party in
New York and then Mr.  Rich is pardoned even though he had been
indicted on 51 counts and fled the country to avoid the
prosecution," Burton said.

New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who as a Federal prosecutor charged
Rich, is demanding a congressional investigation.  Sen.  Pete
Domenici, R-NM, is also wondering if the pardon was a quid pro
quo to the Riches for all the money that Denise Rich donated.

"Something is wrong with the Mark Rich pardon.  There must be
something that we don't know, We ought to find out about it, if
it is a quid pro quo that's very, very, serious in terms of the
president's abuse of pardons," said Sen.  Pete Domenici, R-NM.

Clinton has said he looked at the merits of the Rich case and
others and based his decision to issue pardons on that.

But Margaret Love, a former DOJ pardon attorney said that
Clinton's decision — and its timing — are unusual.

"I think that he waited until the very end and decided to do
everything that he wanted to do there at the very end, instead of
doing it in a regular housekeeping way across his term, the way
all presidents have done in the past," Love told FOX News.

Friday, Jack Quinn, the former White House counsel, and an
attorney now representing Rich, defended the pardon and said the
prosecution against Rich was flawed and that he should not have
been criminally prosecuted to begin with.  He maintained the
case, involving embargoed oil exports from Iran, was a civil
matter.

"Rich has not escaped potential liability for his actions — only
the overreaching criminal prosecution to which he should never
have been subject," Quinn wrote in an op-ed for The Washington
Post.  "The presidential pardon can and should be employed when a
president resolves a dispute about whether the law and policies
of the Justice Department support the use of civil rather than
criminal sanctions in response to an individual's alleged
wrongful conduct in the eyes of the United States."

But Burton said the criminal charges were rightly filed.

"I think he did do many things wrong.  I mean we had an embargo
against Iran at a time when the Iranians and the Ayatollah had
many Americans being held hostage.

He was doing business with them in violation of the embargo,"
Burton said.  "He fled the country because I think he thought he
was going to come to trial and possibly be convicted."

Burton said the case is a non-partisan one, both Democrats and
Republicans are stunned by Clinton's action.  Sen.  Arlen
Specter, R-PA, said he wants to ensure that in the future proper
steps are taken before presidents invoke their power.

"Right now there are regulations within the Department of Justice
as to how, how these matters are handled, but the president
doesn't have to follow those regulations and he didn't," Specter
told FOX News.  "I think if we had a statute, for example, which
set forth guidelines that it might have a little more weight."

A presidential pardon cannot be revoked, since it is an absolute
power granted by the Constitution.  Burton said he is not looking
for an indictment of Rich, nor of the former president and first
lady, but he will subpoena Quinn, a former chief counsel to
Clinton, if he must, in order to get him to answer why he
subverted the regular pardon process and went directly to the
president.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>