-Caveat Lector-

{{  Now some people would demand to know whether or not I
"endorse" this post when I have absolutely no opinion and
consider it merely a link in forming one.  I am not familiar
with the author but AP has an OK reputation
so--hhuumm--endorse or not?  I suppose the land deal would
anger SOME but it just says "residents" so I do not know if
this is a majority or not.  But I must state whether or not
I personally endorse it so that I can be personally attacked
rather than the article itself in case some on this list
disagree.  Such a dilemma. AKE}}

Rebel Land Deal Angers Colombians
by JUAN PABLO TORO
Associated Press Writer

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) -- With the government nearing a deal
to give rebels control over a Delaware-sized territory, the
area's residents expressed anger Saturday that plans were
going ahead despite their objections.

Delegates from the government and the leftist guerrilla
group, National Liberation Army, or ELN, presented residents
in Bolivar State on Friday with the first concrete details
of the demilitarized zone where peace talks would be held.

Rebel control over the 1,860-square-mile territory would
last for nine months and it would be patrolled by locally
appointed civic police and an international monitoring
committee of 150 people to ensure that the rights of
residents living in the area are protected, according to the
84-point plan, published Saturday in El Tiempo newspaper.

Hundreds of police and soldiers currently in the area would
have to leave the demilitarized zone, which would encompass
the towns of Cantagallo and San Pablo, 185 miles north of
the capital Bogota, according to the document.

Commanders of the 5,000-strong ELN have vowed to honor
residents' rights and to refrain from using their stronghold
to harbor kidnap victims for ransom -- a major source of
their financing.

But residents -- fearing the kind of heavy-fisted rule
reported inside a larger demilitarized zone controlled by
another rebel army -- have threatened protests and
roadblocks if the government approves the plan. They said
the government should have consulted with them while
drafting the document.

''How is it possible to discuss the rules without talking
with the communities?'' said Lincoln Castilla, a member of
an organization opposed to the zone, during an interview
with local Radionet radio station on Saturday.

Preparations to cede territory to the ELN began early last
year but were shelved after residents mounted roadblocks and
demonstrations. The plan was rekindled when the ELN last
December released 42 police and soldiers it had captured
during fighting, a signal for many that the rebels wanted
peace after more than three decades of fighting.

Since then, the government has been meeting with residents
and rebel commanders to formalize the deal.

The government appeared to be closing in on an agreement
with the ELN as the deadline looms on the Switzerland-size
territory ceded two years ago to the Revolutionary Armed
Forces of Colombia, or FARC.

The 15,000-strong FARC froze peace negotiations with the
government in November. The two sides were meeting inside
FARC-controlled territory Saturday and Colombian President
Andres Pastrana must decide by next Wednesday if he'll
continue to allow rebels to reside there. Hundreds of
soldiers have been airlifted to the region to uproot the
guerrillas if Pastrana decides to end the concession.

  Copyright © Newsday, Inc. Produced by Newsday Electronic
Publishing.