-Caveat Lector-

June,
I suggest you read the following historical document taken
from the archives of your own state.  Note none of the 7-12
years as you stated and and the slaves were "without wage."
This is the exact opposite of your claim.  Of course I am
not talking about the legislation leading to the actual
outbreak of war but going back a bit to the way things were
in northern states from the last of the 1600 until around
1800.  Your description bears no resemblance to the truth of
the matter.  This petition, which the governor did not even
bother to present to the legislature states that the slaves
in Connecticut were born in this country in slavery and died
in slavery without wages.  This is the guilt which you
attempt to project onto the south alone as though these
things did not happen in the north but they most certainly
did.  I suggest you get yourself a history book as you are
full of false information and revisionist claims.  You often
stat the you are all for truth but you post fabrications.
Of course later situations changed because otherwise the
north would have been fighting itself.  And counting
conditions in territories at the outbreak of war has nothing
to do with the fact that slavery existed in the states that
were states prior to al the legislation and conflicts
beginning.  The document is posted below which tells the
truth of this "benevolent" northern slavery which you
fabricate.
Amelia

 Documents menu
--------------------

Petition of 1780 by slaves
for the abolition of slavery in Connecticut

Unto your Honner the govener and all the wise men of the
State of Connecticut which it hath Plesed god to Permit to
gather at Hartford unto you we the the Poor and opresed
Negro Sarvents of this Town By and with the advice of Each
other and By the Desier of all the Negro Sarvents in this
State Do in a most humble maner Criy unto you for Liberty
alltho we have Desiered this faver from your honners Time
after Time yet we are Not Discuriged But Do Still intend to
Beag this faver from Time to Time tho you Should not grant
us our Desiers this Time -

We are all of us the Same mind as we was when we asked this
advantige of your honners Last may that our marsters have no
more Rite to make us Searve them then we have to make our
Marsters Searve us and we have Resen to wonder that our Case
has not Ben taken into Consideration So fare as to Grant us
our Libertys But we must consider what the Book of
Eceleisastes says at 8 Chapter & at the 11 varce Because
Sentence aganst an Evel work is not Executed Speedily
theirfore the hart of the Sons of men is fully Set in them
to do Evel - and for this Reson we Think our Cause is Not
Regarded and we Still must Say as Jeremiah Says in his
Lamentations at the 5 Chapter & at the 5 varce Our necks are
under Persecution we Labour and have no rest - But we are in
good hopes that your honners will Take Notis of our Case and
Do unto us as you would be Glad that we Should Do unto you
if we was in your Condishon and you in ours But it hath
Plesed god to Place us in the Sitawaytion we are now in But
we Pray to god that he would Send forth his Good Spirit into
your harts and Remind you of your Duty and make you the
Instermints of Binding up the Brokenharted and of
Proclaiming Liberty to the Captives and the opening of the
Prison to them that are Bound We ask your good Will to Look
upon us and we Criy unto you in the words of Job at the 19
Chapter & at the 21 varce Have Pity upon me have Pity upon
me o ye my frindes - But we Still Look unto god Who
Pursarves Both the Servent and the marster for we Know that
in the 140 Psalm at the 12 varces That we have a Sartin
Promos viz. I Know that the Lord will maintain the Cause of
the afflicted and the Right of the Poor and we think that it
is time for us to Criy aloud for our Liberty for No Son of
man will give his Sarvent his Time unless he Thinks that he
Dos Roung in Keeping off him and So Considers that their is
a wa Ppurnounced aganst those that Take a way their
Neighbours Servise with wages and giveth him Not for his
work Jeremiah at the 22 Chapter & at the 13 varce wo unto
him that Buildeth his house By Unriteousness and without
wages and giveth him Not for his work and when their is a
man that will give his Searvent his Liberty we must think
that he Considers what the word of God Says in the 34
Chapter and the 10 varces of the Book of Jeremiah viz. Now
when all the Princes and all the people which had Entered
into the Covenent heard that Every one Should Let his maid
Searvent and Every one his man Servent go free that None
Should Serve themselves of them any more then they obeyed
and Let them go and We wish that all our marsters would
consider the word of God as Job Did and Consider the Cause
of his man Servent and of his maid Servent when we Contend
with our marsters But we Cant find Such men as will other
give or Sell ous Liberty & we all Both young and old Do ask
your Kind and good will toasist us in geting our freedom for
we have indured the galling yok of Bondige Ever Sence we
have Ben Brought from our own Country and I those of us that
Was Born in this Cuntry have Ben under Bondage our hol lives
untill now and their is a grat nomber of us which have been
Brotup By Such I men as have Not Larnt us to Read the woord
of God Neather have have They Lamt us the mening of the word
of I God But have Keept us from the Knoledge of that
Salvation which we have a Right to By Jesus Christ But we
Think that if we have our Liberty we Shall have an
opportunity to Larn the word of God and to Recive good to
our Sols as well as our Bodyes and if we Could But injoy our
Liberty we think that we Should Be in as Fare a way to make
our Calling and Electtion Suer and By Gods Goodness have our
Sols Saved from Eerlasting Damnation But we are keep from
all favers Both Bodys and Sols But we Look unto that god
which is as able to Save us as he is to Save our Marsters
But we Depend upon the Blesings of god in making the gurenel
asimbly the insterments of Seating us at Liberty from these
men that I Now hold us as Servents - But if your honners
Refuse to asist us in Releving us from our Marsters we Shall
I have Reson to say that you [.?.] Do Not your duty as the
word of God says in the Book of Isaiah at the 58 Chapter and
6 varse I To undo the hevy Burdens and to Leat the oppressed
Go free and that I ye Brak Every yoke - and this is the Duty
of all that have an oppertunity to Releve them that are in
Disstrass I and if your honners forgit your Duty all men may
say that our Roulars Bare the Sword in vain But if we Kant
have our Desier dont think hard of us if By our marsters we
say as David Did By his enemies Psalms the 109 and the 6
varce Set thou a wicked man over him and I Let Satan Stand
at his Right hand the 7 varc when he Shall Be I Judged Let
him Be Condemned and Let his Prayer Become Sin I the 8 varce
Let his Days Be few and Let another take his offsice I the 9
varce Let his Children Be fatherliss and his wife a widow
the 10 varce Let his Children Be Continually vagabonds and
Beg Let them Seek their Bread also out of their Desolate
Places the 11 varce Let the Extortioner Catch all that he
hath and Let the Stranger Spoil all his Labour the 12 varce
Let thair Be none to Extend mercy unto him Neither Let their
Be any to favour his fatherless Children I the 13 verce Let
his Posterity Be Cut off and in the generation I folowing
Let their Name Be Blotted out the 14 varce Let The iniquity
of his fathers Be Remembered with the Lord and Let Not the
Sin of his mother Be Blotted the 15 varce Let them Be Before
the Lord Continually that he may Cut off the memory of them
from the Earth the 16 varce Because that he Remembered not
to Shew marcy But Perscuted the Poor and nedy I man. And
Surr we hope that you will Remember the Poor and oppresed
negro men in the State which you are Chosen to Do Justice in
So we are abliged to Lement Our Case as in Lamentations at
the 5 chapter and 5 varce Our Necks are under Persecution we
Labour and have no Rest

--------------------

This petition of 1880 is found among the Trumbull Papers
M.H.S., volume 13, part 2, document 251. It was first
published by Vincent J. Rosivach in "Three Petitions by
Connecticut Negroes for the Abolition of Slavery in
Connecticut," Connecticut Review, Volume XVII, no. 2, 79-92.

The editor points out that this petition is written in a
reasonably good hand by a slave who consulted a King James
version of the Bible, perhaps by having the quoted passages
read to him. On the petition's exterior are written the
words, "Hartford Negro Mem Oct 1780.+ While the year 1780 is
probably correct for the year of the petition, there is some
doubt its authors were actually from Hartford. and this
petition could well be another attempt by the slaves of
Fairfield county after the failure of their petition of
1779. We know neither the number or identity of the
petitioners. The fact that this petition is found among
Governor Trumbull's papers leads Rosivach to suspect that
the Governer never bothered to forward it to the Assembly.