-Caveat Lector-

From:    Eileen Sutton
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:    Fwd: {FP} An astonishing letter of support for WBAI
Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] Reply to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Lyn Gerry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 01:37:59 -0500
Subject: {FP} An astonishing letter of support for WBAI

Dear All,

A very astonishing letter which I received. If this writer is who he
says he is, that Pacifica should need a lesson in free speech from a guy
who wrote speeches for Guiliani, and who understands what Pacifica's
mission is about a whole lot more thanPacifica's so- called "leadership"
is truly tragic.

Lyn

From:                   Alex Steinberg
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:               distribute freely
To the Pacifica Foundation board of directors:

I am a pro-life, pro-free enterprise, pro-Bush conservative, writing to
ask why you have decided to betray the Pacifica mission.

What honest conservatives, honest liberals and honest radicals all
understand -- but you sadly fail to -- is that a threat to free speech
anywhere is a threat to free speech everywhere.

I have listened to WBAI-FM in New York for the past 19 years. And though
I share its editorial viewpoint next to never, it is an invaluable
source of news, commentary and culture that cannot be found anywhere
else in the media.

Yet some would water that down.

Your firings, bans, and indeed arrests of personnel at WBAI -- besides
flying in the face of anybody's notion of freedom -- run counter to the
wishes of the vast majority of listeners who support the station. As a
result, it seems inescapably obvious that Pacifica's tendentious,
unstated goal is for listeners to withhold their financial
contributions, thus leading to the station's demise, so that you can
then sell the transmitter and claim the station was unsupported by its
audience.

If what you have done to silence voices at WBAI offends a former
Giuliani speechwriter like me, then I can only imagine how deeply and
personally it must offend the other 99.9 percent of the audience whose
politics lean far to the left. That a listener-supported radio station
offers exclusively leftist points of view -- without any commercial
interruption or interference -- accrues not only to the intellectual
benefit of leftists, but to the intellectual benefit of *everybody.*

As for journalist Amy Goodman, whom your Web site takes fatuous pains to
disparage, she possesses in her pinky finger more credibility, integrity
and courage than any of you ever will. Until recently, she also had
colleagues boasting the very same characteristics -- but you
unceremoniously fired them. And you're clearly trying to make conditions
unbearable for Ms. Goodman presently, so that she'll leave too.

I ask respectfully: What kind of radio network that fancies itself
dedicated to free speech imposes gag orders on its own on-air staff?

The question at hand is not whether you have the right to do what you've
done to WBAI. The station, after all -- at present -- belongs to
Pacifica. Rather, the question is whether it was the *right thing to do*
(and whether you'll have the wisdom and decency to undo it).

In the event these questions strike you as exceedingly weighty or
complex, then perhaps you ought consider resigning, en masse,
immediately. You clearly misapprehend what it means to appreciate
community radio.

I eagerly await your thoughtful reply.

Sincerely,
Alexander Steinberg