-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

U.S. Facing U.N.-Mideast Dilemma
Audio/Video
  As Violence Rages On, Mideast Peace Efforts Continue - (Reuters)

By CHRIS HAWLEY, Associated Press Writer

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - The United States faced a diplomatic dilemma Sunday:
how to say ``no'' to sending U.N. observers to the West Bank and Gaza Strip
(news - web sites) without worsening the violence or enraging the Arab world.

The Palestinians want the U.N. Security Council to back the deployment of
observers to help stop six months of bloodshed, and say they have mustered
the nine council votes needed to pass such a resolution.

Standing in the way during negotiations Sunday was the United States,
Israel's strongest ally in the United Nations (news - web sites). Israel
opposes sending observers and wants direct talks with the Palestinians
instead.

The United States could use its veto to block the resolution. But Washington
fears a veto could trigger more violence and anger oil-rich Arab countries
whose support it needs to strengthen sanctions against Afghanistan (news -
web sites) and Iraq.

``It's our feeling that the Americans are not taking the issue of a veto
lightly,'' said the Palestinian representative, Nasser Al-Kidwa.

The Security Council met Saturday and again Sunday afternoon in search of a
compromise. The talks were expected to continue Monday.

European nations in the council fielded a watered-down resolution that
postponed any decision on an observer force but criticized the Israelis for
expanding settlements and imposing blockades on Palestinian towns. It also
noted that most of the more than 400 people who have died in the violence
since late September have been Palestinians.

Negotiators want to find a compromise before a summit of Arab leaders Tuesday
in Amman, Jordan. U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan (news - web sites)
arrived in Amman on Sunday, and the council wants to arm him with a
resolution that will satisfy Arab leaders increasingly concerned about the
violence.

``We believe that through this resolution we'll be able to give a fresh
momentum to the resumption of (Israeli-Palestinian) talks,'' said Bangladeshi
Ambassador Anwarul Chowdhury, who heads the block of developing nations on
the council that support the Palestinians.

``And we believe the secretary-general ... should know what this
organization, the Security Council, is telling him to do,'' Chowdhury said.

Acting U.S. Ambassador James Cunningham would not comment on the closed-door
talks in the Security Council on Sunday.

Only the five permanent Security Council members - the United States, Russia,
China, France and Britain - can issue vetoes. They try to be sparing with
them, in part because vetoes anger less powerful members who are resentful
that five countries can essentially dictate U.N. policy.

The United States has only vetoed five resolutions since 1990 - four of them
dealing with the Israeli-Palestinian dispute. The last U.S. veto, in 1997,
quashed a resolution demanding that Israel stop construction of a settlement
in east Jerusalem.