-Caveat Lector-

Stranger than fiction

Are 12ft lizards running the world? Louis Theroux investigates Them:
Adventures with Extremists by Jon Ronson

Saturday April 7, 2001
The Guardian

Them: Adventures with Extremists
Jon Ronson
352pp, Picador, £16.99

There is a version of history that holds that the world is secretly run
by a shadowy cabal of predominantly Jewish international financiers and
politicians who meet several times a year to decide which wars to start,
which countries to bankrupt, which gun-owners to oppress, and so on.
This view, which has been around at least since the late 19th century,
when it was popularised in a hugely influential piece of anti-semitic
propaganda, The Protocols of the Elders of Zion , exists in various
versions - with "Jews" occasionally being replaced by "Bilderbergers",
"New World Order", "Illuminati" or "12ft lizard creatures". Though
undoubtedly nutty, its paranoid and exciting "top secret" flavour has
meant it continues to appeal to a motley crew of self-styled
"researchers" and evangelists on the fringes of society, including Ku
Klux Klansmen, militias, certain fundamentalist Muslims and an
ex-Coventry goalkeeper called David Icke.

For Them: Adventures with Extremists, reporter and documentary
film-maker Jon Ronson spent several years in the company of a few of
these fringe-dwellers, in an attempt to understand their mindset and to
see to what - if any - extent their fears were founded in fact. The
resulting book is a funny and compulsively readable picaresque adventure
through a paranoid shadow world, with Ronson playing Sancho Panza to a
cast of obsessives.

Ronson has a deft, ironic touch and a brilliant way with scene-setting
and direct speech - much of the action is so neat and pacy it reads
almost like a novel - and it is one of the book's great merits that it
never takes itself too seriously. Conspiracy investigators tend to be
incompetent and petty in direct proportion to the delusional grandeur of
their ambitions, something Ronson is not slow to pick up on. "I KNOW
WHAT YOU'RE UP TO!" one investigator screams at his colleague. "Make a
big show of shouting down the phone! Steal the limelight! And then Jon
will write about you !"

In one of the book's funniest chapters, Ronson accompanies an
ultra-right-wing conspiracy investigator named Big Jim Tucker as he
attempts to infiltrate a meeting of the Bilderberg Group (a semi-secret
council of international industrialists and statesmen, and a favourite
bugbear of the paranoid fringe). They end up being chased by
scary-looking security personnel in dark glasses and Ronson panics,
trying to get the British Embassy to rescue him. "I am essentially a
humorous journalist," he pleads down the phone. "I am a humorous
journalist out of my depth."

But Ronson also has a point to make about the way beliefs in general
tend to demonise "them", where "them" might be diabolical Jews, 12ft
lizards, or indeed the weirdos who believe in diabolical Jews and 12ft
lizards.

Exhibit A in the fringe-dwellers' case for the existence of a shadowy
all-powerful cabal is the true-life story of the Weavers, a family with
admittedly far-out religious views who, yes, consorted with neo-Nazis
and who moved to the remotest corner of northern Idaho to be as far as
possible from the "Zionist Occupational Government". Vicki Weaver and
her son Sammy were shot in cold blood by federal marshals in a
paramilitary-style raid.

Conspiracy theorists have ever since argued that this is proof that the
world is indeed run by a secret oligarchy; Ronson's compelling case is
that what happened was made possible because the Weavers were repeatedly
described in the media as "white supremacists" and therefore in some way
worthy of extermination.

Another chapter examines the strange history of David Icke, the
footballer turned BBC commentator turned Green Party spokesman turned
self-proclaimed son of God. Ronson finds Icke on a lecture tour of
Canada, pursuing his new calling as an investigator of the secret elite
of lizard shape-shifters (the Queen and Ted Heath are among those under
suspicion) who run the world. Icke's "theory" is basically The Protocols
of the Elders of Zion with a new cast and a few script changes. Not
surprisingly, Icke has come under suspicion of anti-semitism; as his
tour progresses he finds his readings heavily picketed and his radio
interviews cancelled. Icke vehemently repudiates the accusations, and
reading Ronson's account it is difficult not
to conclude that, while we are right to be on our guard against paranoid
anti-semitism, we should also be on our guard against the paranoid
excesses of anti-anti-semitism. Not only might it be unfair to Icke, but
by implying that he is so dangerous that he has to be censored, the
watchdogs are giving a patina of seriousness to ideas that are - let's
face it - very, very silly.

As the book progresses, what emerges is the degree to which the
real-life Bilderberg Group and the researchers who campaign against it
are negatives of each other. Intentionally or not, the alleged bodies of
world domination do create suspicion and resentment with their
cloak-and-dagger mentality, their self-importance and their alarmism. It
is no surprise to learn that some Bilderbergers quite like the idea that
they are secretly running the world: it flatters their vanity. Towards
the end of his investigation, Ronson finds himself referred to
approvingly on the internet and in underground newspapers by fringe
researchers and New World Order believers.

He suggests he has passed through the looking glass and is now "one of
them". I think this is going a little far. If pressed, and for all its
flaws, I'd say I'm on the side of the existing international
liberal-democratic system and against the notion that lizards might be
running the world, and I suspect Ronson feels the same way. Still, it is
to his great credit that he's given "them" such a fair-minded - and
entertaining - evaluation.