-Caveat Lector-

From: Now
http://www.now.com/feature.now?cid=1023695&fid=1503483

Keeping Up With The Robots

20 Apr 2001 09:00:00 GMT

Transhumanists believe we must embrace all forms of technology in order
to save the human race.

Cyborg: Is this the future?

You never leave the house without your mp3 or minidisk player. Your
mobile phone is close to becoming part of your ear. You check your email
at least 50 times a day. It's time to face the facts, you are addicted
to technology.

While most of us tech addicts would sell our beds before giving up our
DVD players or laptops, are we ready to push forward to the next level
of technology-driven human evolution? Are we ready to transcend nature's
version of humanity?

In the words of the World Transhumanist Association (WTA):
"Transhumanism advocates the use of technology to overcome our
biological limitations and transform the human condition."

The group believes in order to avoid extinction, the human race must
embrace technologies, such as genetic engineering, wearable computers,
life-enhancing drugs and artificial intelligence. WTA insists we must
evolve at the rate of technology before it consumes and destroys us.

"A transhumanist is really anyone who is trying to improve their lives
or society in general through practical means, technological means, as
opposed to holding their hands and hoping for the best," said
transhumanist Garret Smyth.

Believers in transhumanism embrace anything which enhances intelligence,
prolongs life or eliminates disease.

While several transhuman technologies, such as cloning and virtual
reality, have been hogging column inches across the globe, others are
not quite as well known.

Nanotechnology, for example, is a form of molecular manufacturing which
will allow the building of tiny computers. Investment is taking off in
this field and the plan is to build cheap robotics which will be able to
replicate themselves.

But is humanity in danger of becoming ruled by machines?

Kevin Warwick, robotics professor at the University of Reading and the
world's first cyborg, put transhumanist theory into practice when he
implanted a computer chip into his arm to help him interact with his
environment.

Warwick believes his work is vital to protect humanity from increasingly
intelligent technology.

"In 20 or 30 years, we are going to have machines which are far more
intelligent than humans and that is a dangerous thing," said Warwick.

"Our research is looking at a middle ground. Can we upgrade humans? Can
we get hold of some of that machine intelligence? Can we sense the world
in other ways?"

But transhumanist Garret Smyth thinks Warwick understates the danger of
computer domination. "We are going to have to adapt ourselves or the
machines will take over," he said.

Transhumanists believe superintelligence, an intellect superior to a
human's in every way, will be created in the first half of the next
century.

Rather than have these superhumans overtake us, transhumanists want to
become superintelligent themselves, through the use of smart drugs,
wearable computers, virtual reality and bionic brain implants.

"Writing was one of the first forms of technology, used as a memory aid.
Computers are an extension of that," said Smyth.

"One step beyond would be to have a mental link which detects your
thought waves from outside your brain or a chip implanted which could
read your thoughts."

But the question is how dangerous are transhuman technologies to the
human race?

In our pursuit of catching the monster we have created, are we at risk
of evolving into a sub or non-human species?

The World Transhumanist Association acknowledges there are serious
ethical and philosophical issues which need to be addressed, discussed
and debated. However, the fundamental pursuit is for individual
self-preservation.

"Transhumanists advocate individual freedom, especially the moral right
to use technology to extend their mental and physical capacities, and to
improve their control over their own lives," said Smyth.

Technology has offered humanity an uncompromising paradox. By excelling
in the creation of superintelligent machinery, it is entirely possible
humans could become their own worst enemy.

- Kerry Swanson