http://www.onlinejournal.com/Commentary/Higdon042901/higdon042901.html

Follow-up to invasion of the personal liberty snatchers

By James Higdon

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed  .

—Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and
effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,
and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or
affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the
persons or things to be seized. —
Fourth Amendment to the Constitution of the
United States of America)

April 29, 2001

It is said that one of the primary differences between the political right
and the political left is reflected in the support for these two amendments.
The right wing supports the Second Amendment (and the Tenth) as the guarantee
of a free society, and the left supports the Forth (and the other seven). I
contend that all ten are paramount, in addition to a reasoning judiciary that
fully comprehends that the founding fathers intended a government of, by, and
for the people.

Addressing the Second Amendment, it is my personal belief that there is some
confusion created by the founding fathers in the wording. I believe that it
may indeed be that its authors intended that all citizens hold the right to
possess fire arms. Further, most legislation fails to address the issue of
gun control in a reasonable constitutional manner. That said, I still believe
that legislation can be passed that addresses the reasonable state (i.e., of,
by, and for the people) interest in protecting the lives and welfare of
children and society. The NRA makes a fatal mistake in not addressing the
issue of gun control on these terms; that it is in all of our best interests
to be safe in our homes, in our schools, in our post offices, and on the
streets.

The extreme right wing believes that the primary purpose of the second
amendment is to allow citizens to arm themselves against a renegade
government. This may have been the founding fathers' intent; we can never
know. But logic dictates that such an assumption in this day and age is pure
folly. If this is a government by our own hand, we are only arming against
ourselves. And unless we arm every citizen with high-tech weaponry, including
gas, bombs, helicopters, and F16s—as Bill Maher once said, "If Janet Reno
wants to come in, she's coming in."

How much better it is to legally limit Janet Reno's (or John Ashcroft's)
power to enter in the first place. And that is where support of the Fourth
Amendment is of a fundamental necessity. The Fourth Amendment allows
intrusion, by the state, into our homes, effects, or persons only when it
acts reasonably to protect the people.

Whatever differences I have with fellow citizens who are of a more
conservative bent are only by degree. Our differences can be resolved by free
and open public discourse, and ultimately resolved by free and open
elections. Any reasonable person, conservative or liberal, would not disagree.

George W. Bush, our first appointed president, is not a conservative
(compassionate or otherwise). He is member of the power elite whose aim is
purely to entrench the interests of political and financial power. He seeks
to accomplish this mission by appointing a judiciary whose society is formed,
financed, and groomed by the same power structure that gave him his political
birth.

George W. Bush understands that an armed citizenry cannot defend itself from
the might of the federal military machinery. But while perpetrating the fears
of the far right, that liberals and moderates seek to eliminate the power of
the people by taking away their guns, he sets about to remove the possibility
that the people will be able to protect themselves by law.

While the Federalist Society, and the Bush administration, claim that
moderate judges have proven to be judicial activists, they seek to claim an
intellectual monopoly on legal reasoning by proclaiming an "originalist"
point of view. According to their theory, anything that is not specifically
written in the Constitution does not belong there. Any conflict in
interpretation must be resolved by construing the intent of the founding
authors. But delving into the minds of people who have been dead for nearly
two hundred years is not possible. The founders' personal thoughts are
infinitely more obscure than anything written on the guiding document they
left us. They did, however, leave us with the knowledge that the Constitution
of the United States was written upon common law principles.

Contained in the common law (developing over 500 years) are guiding
principles for constructing expanded interpretations for laws written at a
time when modern situations and facts occur that could not be anticipated by
the original authors of those laws. What we now recognize as the powers of
the Supreme Court were constructed from these principles in a dispute between
John Adams and Thomas Jefferson during a time when, obviously, the founding
fathers still lived.

Personally, I find the arguments of the Federalist Society (who recognize
Rehnquist, Scalia, Kennedy, and Thomas as among their guiding lights),
specious at best, and cynically misleading at worst. They seek to create a
situation where only they can truly understand the law that removes power
from the hands of the many, and places it in the hands of the few.

A case in point is Gail Atwater (soccer mom) who got caught, by a Lago Vista
police officer, driving without her seat belt fastened. In the State of
Texas, this normally would subject her to a $50 fine. She paid the $50, but
not before being verbally berated by the police officer, handcuffed, and
arrested in front of her frightened children, then taken downtown to be
booked, finger printed, arraigned, and forced to put up a bail bond of more
than $300.

The Constitution provides that citizens my seek a remedy from the courts when
their fundamental rights are violated. Ms. Atwater did, eventually taking her
case before the Federalist Society's favorite four on the United States
Supreme Court. In a stunning 5–4 decision (Rehnquist, Scalia, Kennedy,
Thomas, and Souter, in the majority), this court, while recognizing that
there was no reasonable basis for the state to make such an arrest, insisted
that it was permitted to do so. In short, this court ruled that any state may
handcuff and take into custody any citizen who violates even the smallest
offense that the state has devised a statute against. That bears repeating:
The United States Supreme Court has ruled that any state may handcuff and
take into custody any citizen who violates even the smallest offense that the
state has devised a statute against.

Such unrestrained authority grants the state and the police "a power that
places the liberty of every man in the hands of every petty officer." (Legal
Papers of John Adams
) Our liberty now depends on "the state of digestion of
any officer who stops us or, more likely, upon our obsequiousness, the price
of our automobiles, the formality of our dress, the shortness of our hair or
the color of our skin." (Amsterdam, Perspectives on the Fourth Amendment,
Minnesota Law Review (1974))

I pray you keep this in mind, whether you feel yourself liberal or
conservative, as George W. Bush makes his appointments to the federal courts.
And if you have been a long time supporter of the NRA, and agree with George
W. Bush that the biggest threat to our country is the regulation of handguns,
ask yourself this: If you value your liberty and your right to be free from
being unreasonably taken into custody, and you are being pulled over for a
minor traffic violation; would you rather shoot it out with the police by
using the handgun in your glove compartment, or would you rather feel secure
that you can vindicate your rights by petitioning a fair and balanced
judiciary?

Once you have been forced to vindicate your rights at the point of a gun,
against the vast power of the federal government, instead of in a court of
law, your liberty has already been lost.