U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Office of the Spokesman
For Immediate Release
April 30, 2001

ON-THE-RECORD BRIEFING
BY ACTING COORDINATOR FOR COUNTERTERRORISM EDMUND J. HULL
ON "PATTERNS OF GLOBAL TERRORISM: 2000" REPORT

Washington, D.C.

MR. REEKER:  As advertised, we now have our Acting Coordinator for
Counterterrorism Edmund J. Hull here to take your questions.  He
may have some additional comments.  So we will turn it straight
over to Mr. Hull.  Thanks.

MR. HULL:  I would like to make a few comments.  First, I would
like to thank Secretary Powell for kicking off this year's
Patterns of Global Terrorism, as well as Deputy Secretary Armitage
and Under Secretary Marc Grossman.  It is strong support from our
7th floor that makes my job a lot easier.

Secondly, I would like to point out that although this report
details a lot of successes, and it is coming out of the US State
Department, these successes by no means are the exclusive
responsibility of the State Department.  We have very strong
partners throughout the US Government, including in the White
House, Justice, the FBI, CIA, DOD, Joint Chiefs of Staff,
Department of Treasury, and really one of the great strengths of
counterterrorism, as it is done by the US Government, is this
interagency cooperation and teamwork.  Without that, we would not
have the kinds of successes that we can report to you today.

Finally, I would like to say a word of thanks to my staff and our
partners around the building and in other agencies that work so
hard on this report, pulling it together and making it available
to you, and we hope that it is useful to you as you go about your
coverage of this important subject.

I would be happy to take questions.

QUESTION:You have some critics of the report who say there are
some countries, such as Cuba and North Korea, which are on the
list, and countries not on the list that should be there, Pakistan
among them.  And what is your response?

MR. HULL:  I think we can go down that case by case.  I would be
happy to do that.  You mentioned Cuba.  Cuba does remain on the
list of state sponsors.  Our problems with Cuba relate to its
continuing provision of safe haven to wanted terrorists.  This is
a very important point for us because one of the principles of our
counterterrorism policy is we will pursue terrorists for their
crimes as long as it takes.  We have a very long memory and we
have as long an arm as possible.

So that is an important point for us with Cuba.  They also have
some associations with terrorist groups, like the ELN and the FARC
in Colombia.  Then finally I would point out that Cuba's position
on terrorism is just very equivocal.  In the Ibero-American
conference that took place last fall, Cuba was the only country
participating that declined to join a consensus in condemning the
ETA and the upsurge of terrorism in Spain, and that, quite
frankly, is not a position that is helpful in terms of the
international counterterrorism effort.

QUESTION:Can you tell us if you are likely to take measures
against the Real IRA and (inaudible) IRA in the near future?

And secondly, can I ask you if you have any evidence that since
the Good Friday Agreement, the provisional IRA has bought weapons
in the US?

MR. HULL:  I would like to answer the question on designations,
really not only in terms of the Real IRA, but also a number of
other speculations that exist.  We have a designation process and,
by virtue of that, we keep under close watch any number of
organizations that are accused of engaging in terrorism.  And that
is a continuing undertaking.

We designate Foreign Terrorist Organizations according to a law.
It is a very, very rigorous process.  It requires a legal basis,
because they can be challenged in court.

Now, we have recently moved away from a set schedule for those
designations to rolling designations whenever we believe the case
is made and we go forward on that basis.  We did it last fall with
the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan.  We will proceed with other
organizations when and if they meet the requirements of the law.

QUESTION:There was some recent reporting out of Tehran during the
summit that there is a new agreement or working relationship
between Hamas and Hezbollah against Israel.  Can you tell us, how
accurate is this, and what are the ramifications if it is
accurate?

MR. HULL:  What we have seen in the Middle East over the recent
period is continuing very high involvement by Iran in promoting
terrorism against the Middle East peace.  This is a longstanding
activity by the Iranian Government.  They have used as their
surrogates in this, not only the organizations that you have
mentioned -- Hamas, Hezbollah -- but also the Palestinian Islamic
Jihad.  I believe it is clear that Iran is encouraging these
organizations to act individually and to act in concert.

QUESTION:And how big a threat is this renewed activity, if you
will?

MR. HULL:  I think it is a significant threat.  We have seen an
upswing in terrorism in the Middle East, particularly in Israel
and the Occupied Territories, and in "Patterns" we characterize
that situation as grim.

QUESTION:In the report about Israel and the West Bank and the Gaza
Strip, you repeated a lot of the Israelis' accusations.  Now, you
have people on the ground there.  You could have collected this
information for yourself, yet you haven't mentioned any accusation
by the Palestinians, like PLO, of targeted killing of activists,
et cetera, and is rich with accusation.  Many people think that it
was unbalanced.

MR. HULL:  I think the report includes some Israeli reports, but
it also includes a lot of independent judgments on our part.  What
I would say about the situation is this.  Really, if you look at
Israel and the Occupied Territories, it breaks into two very
distinct periods.  In the early part of this year, there was very
little terrorism -- successful terrorism -- being conducted in
that region, and that was largely because of very effective
counterterrorism cooperation between Israel and the Palestinian
Authority.

Since September 28th and some setbacks to the peace
negotiations and to a reduction -- a significant reduction -- in
that counterterrorism cooperation, we have seen an upsurge in
terrorism in that area.  We have made clear the responsibilities
of both sides in that regard.  Secretary Powell, as recently as
April 17th, spoke to that.

With regard to Israeli actions, I think you have to understand
that Patterns of Global Terrorism, as we explained in the
introduction, deals with phenomena that meet a specific
definition; i.e., that is terrorism.  Other phenomenon of concern
and certainly worthy of attention are addressed either in
bilateral statements that we make, or many of them, such as the
issue you raised about extra judicial killings, are addressed in
the Human Rights Report, and they are addressed at some length in
those documents.

QUESTION:You mentioned when you were answering George's question
about certain countries, the other side of the question was
Pakistan.  I noticed in your report you say that those who kill
people will be held responsible regardless of when.  Well, there
were a number of Americans killed in Pakistan three or four years
that I don't think have been brought to justice.

Why, again, would Pakistan then not be on the list?

MR. HULL:  You are talking the list of state sponsors, as opposed
to foreign terrorist organizations, because we're dealing with two
lists here and I think we ought to keep that straight in our
minds.

As regards state sponsorship, though, we designate a country as a
state sponsor based on the totality of its actions in the area of
counterterrorism.  Pakistan is in many ways a challenging case for
us because, on one hand, the Pakistanis do provide significant
assistance in the area of counterterrorism.  They have been
instrumental, for example, in some of the legal prosecutions and
renditions for crimes against Americans.  As recently as I think
last month, they cooperated in making officials available that
were important in the ongoing trial in New York of some of those
accused of bombing our embassies in East Africa.  They also
provide a considerable amount of security for our embassies and
other presence in Pakistan.  That is all to the good.

But as "Patterns" makes clear, we have a number of areas in which
we have problems with Pakistan's position, their support for
groups engaged in terrorism in Kashmir, the HUM and other groups
that we are watching.  I think probably most significant in terms
of US terrorism problems is the Pakistanis' traditional support
for the Taliban and the result that has in Afghanistan.

In this regard, I would note, as we do in "Patterns," that
Pakistan has formally undertaken to respect Security Council
Resolution 1333 and the sanctions imposed on the Taliban.  I think
that is an important commitment on Pakistan's part, and we want to
do everything we can to encourage Pakistan to fulfill that
commitment.

QUESTION:Actually, my question was the same as Nick's on Pakistan.
But in the area of state-sponsored terrorism, you seem to indicate
that Pakistan and Lebanon, for instance, are a stone's throw away
from being put on the list.

Was that your intention?

MR. HULL:  I don't think we characterized it as such in the
report.

QUESTION:I want to go back to the question of the Palestinian and
Israeli comments.  What goes into the decision to cite comments of
one of the participants in the struggle?  And why not
-- it seems to me just to be a backhanded way to criticize the
Palestinians without saying that you're criticizing the
Palestinians.  So why would it even be included in that way if you
wanted to be critical of their actions, and the Administration
has, you know, many times.

Why don't you just say that instead of bringing in Israeli
comments?  It seems a bit cowardly to me.

MR. HULL:  Again, I think if you read the section of the report,
there is a lot of independent information that is put in there.
As I remember it, there is one report that is attributed to
Israel.  By including that, we obviously indicate that it has some
credibility.  It may be that we are not able to address the
question or resolve it, but we think it is worthwhile to at least
raise the issue.

QUESTION:Keeping in mind that it would be unbalanced by not
providing one from the other side?  I mean, that all goes into the
equation, right?

MR. HULL:  Well, if it is appropriate, we would provide material
from the other side.

QUESTION:You welcome the increased cooperation on Greece between
Greek and US authorities, and you also talk about meaningful steps
by the Greek Government to combat terrorism.  Could you elaborate
a little bit?

MR. HULL:  Yes, I can.  I think we have seen in Greece over this
period some steps forward in counterterrorism.  Tragically, I
think the catalyst for many of those steps was the murder of the
British Defense Attaché.  But in the wake of that event, the Greek
authorities did, I think, speak out more clearly than they have in
the past in condemning these kinds of actions.  Mrs. Saunders,
herself, was given opportunities to address the Greek people, with
great effect I believe.  So you can see the beginning of, I think,
popular questioning of a phenomenon that has been remarkably un-
criticized for many years.

Beyond that of course, you have a strengthening of the
counterterrorism unit, and the Greeks have under consideration
right now some tougher counterterrorism laws.  I think all of that
is to the good.  I think we have to keep our eye on the ball,
however, and in this case it is very much arrests, convictions,
putting these people in jail.  Therefore, until we get those kinds
of results, I don't think we and I don't think the Greek
Government should rest.

QUESTION:Last year, we were told that there were some countries on
the list that were fairly close to getting off the list; that, for
example, North Korea, was a couple of rather straightforward steps
away.  Would you agree with that assessment this year, and which
countries would you name that are now on the list of being
basically close to getting off, and the most willing to work with
the United States in getting off this list?

MR. HULL:  I guess I better be careful about predictions, based on
past record.  I think there are a couple of interesting
relationships there.  You have mentioned North Korea.  We did have
a number of meetings with the North Koreans, and we did come to a
joint declaration of principles regarding counterterrorism, which
was an important step.  We are now watching to see how those are
put into practice.  I think the report makes clear there are a
number of areas where more needs to be done, concerns about the
JRA terrorists who continue to have safe haven in North Korea, and
some contacts with various terrorist organizations.

But I would add with regards to North Korea we do have an ongoing
policy review on that subject, and as part of that, we will be
addressing next steps in this area, and when and as appropriate,
be in a position to reengage.

I think the other area that is of interest is Sudan.  Again, we
have had since last June a counterterrorism dialogue with Sudan.
I think they have evidenced a serious interest in getting out of
the terrorism business.  That is something that we want to
encourage, and we have had a long series of exchanges with them to
define exactly how we see the problem and to point them in the
direction of steps they can take to resolve it.

So I believe that is perhaps the most active area in which we have
a state sponsor striving to get out of the terrorism business.

QUESTION:Going back to the Middle East for a moment, the reference
that you do have in the report citing Israeli accusations that
Palestinian Authority security officials and Fatah members
facilitated and took part in shooting and bombing attacks.  Does
the United States have any independent evidence that would confirm
those Israeli accusations?

MR. HULL:  I think what I would like to do on this is really
reiterate what the Secretary said on April 17th, and that was to
call on both of the parties to fulfill their commitments, and with
regards to the Palestinians, those are commitments to implement
their renunciation of violence and terrorism, to control elements
and to punish violators of those.  I will leave it at that.

QUESTION:In this report, you highlight international cooperation.
You also highlight the resolution of imposing sanctions against
Taliban.  On that resolution you worked very closely with the
Russians.  The Russians now at the UN are considering drafting a
resolution that would put sanctions on Pakistan for its links with
the Taliban, which you also highlight in this report.

Is this something the US is discussing with Russia, and would you
in your expertise recommend such a move?

MR. HULL:  I think I would have to disagree with your premises.
To my knowledge, the Russians are not considering sanctions on
Pakistan.  I think the key there is to listen to what Islamabad
itself has said about the resolution, that they are pledged to
respect the resolution, pledged to implement the resolution, and
then to have the international community follow that issue of
implementation very carefully.

QUESTION:Can you tell us what is the practical effect of this
report and of these terrorism lists?  Is there any country that
has ever stopped terrorism because of this list, or any terrorist
organizations that have sort of decided to go straight because of
this list?

MR. HULL:  I don't think it is a question of the list itself,
being on the list effecting that kind of change.  I think it is a
more subtle phenomenon than that.

What is clear to me in my position is that most of these
governments are extremely uncomfortable with the stigma that comes
attached to being accused of sponsoring terrorism, and they will
over time often seek ways to escape that stigma.  I think Sudan is
one case in point.  But it is not as simple as putting someone on
a list and shaking a finger at them.

With