http://www.lewrockwell.com/elkins/elkins10.html

}}>Begin

The
              Face of Evil
by
              Jeff Elkins
MSNBC,
              in its documentary The
              .50-caliber militia has been kind enough to reveal the true
              nature of one of the state’s most noxious congresspersons: Rep.
              Henry Waxman, D-California.
The
              central figure of the MSNBC Investigates documentary is Bob Stewart,
creator of the Maadi-Griffin .50 caliber rifle kit. Very popular
              with enthusiasts, the Maadi-Griffin retails for under $1,600 compared
              to $8,000 for a Barrett .50 caliber rifle. The Maadi-Griffin also
              has the added advantage of having no serial numbers and under current
              law, buyers do not have to register the kits with the Bureau of
              Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.
Rep.
              Waxman wants to change that, pronto. In fact, Waxman wants to reclassify
              all .50 caliber rifles as either destructive devices or Class III
              weapons, thus making them effectively unavailable to commoners.
              Actually, what Waxman really wants is to take away all your
              guns…so he can enslave you – or kill you.
I’d
              like to illustrate with some choice Waxman quotes, interspersing
              my comments.
Quoting
              Waxman: "I don’t think everybody has a right to a weapon
              that can be used to kill innocent people and maybe threaten the
              life of a president of the United States."
That
              could cover something as prosaic as a butter knife. Reagan was shot
              with a cheap .22 caliber revolver. What Waxman is saying here is
              that you have no right to any weapon.
Quoting
              Waxman: "The legislation we’re trying to get through would
              upgrade the classification of .50-caliber weapons to the same level
              as machine guns and other similar kinds of weapons."
Until
              1934, it was not at all uncommon for free Americans to own select-fire
weaponry. Technically, you still can, but the hoops you have to
              jump through combined with the inflated cost and waiting period
              makes ownership of any Class III device impractical for most citizens.
              Additionally, I would never purchase a Class III weapon under
              the constraints currently imposed by the State . God only knows
              what kind of list that would put you on at BATF central.
Quoting
              Waxman: "This kind of weapon can blow up a limousine or
              a helicopter, can take out a vehicle, armored vehicle, maybe even
              a mile away. It can shoot through seven buildings!"
This
              begins to get to the core of Waxman’s fear. Who commonly rides in
limousines, helicopters, and armored vehicles? He’s afraid of the
              very citizens he was elected to represent. His fear of the general
              citizenry lurks behind every word from his statist mouth. In addition
              to fearing you, he hates you as well.
Quoting
              Waxman: "I don’t believe we should wait until another tragedy
              takes place before we act in an appropriate, common-sense way."
Another
              tragedy? I’m unaware of any crimes committed with a .50 caliber
              rifle. No school shootings, bank robberies, assassinations or car
              jackings accomplished with the aid of a .50 caliber rifle have been
              reported, to my knowledge. Anyone who can afford a .50 caliber
              rifle is probably fairly upstanding, at least in an economic sense.
Quoting
              Waxman: "If they are militia people who think they’re going
              to defend America from Americans by having these weapons, and using
              them for that purpose, I don’t think they ought to have them."

I’m
              ecstatic that the honorable Representative Waxman was not an attendee
              for the events following a certain shot heard in Concord many, many
              years ago. Perhaps his spiritual forefathers were…we called them
              Tories and most of them fled to Canada. They seem to have made a
              comeback, unfortunately.
Quoting
              Waxman: "If I had my druthers, I’d go further than legislation.
              I don’t wanna see some people with this weapon at all."
              don’t "wanna" see a statist slavemaster like Waxman as
              an elected official of my country and it is amazing that so-called
              citizens would elect such a peculiar animal to a position of street
              sweeper, much less to the United States House of Representatives.
              It almost makes one think fondly of the poll tax and perhaps a property
              ownership requirement for voting. And I’m curious as to what he
              means by "further than legislation." Concentration camps,
              perhaps?
Quoting
              Waxman: "If someone is so fearful that, that they’re going
              to start using their weapons to protect their rights, makes me very
              nervous that these people have these weapons at all!"
              saved the worst quote for last. Please read that quote. Then read
              it again and memorize it. It’s the perfect illustration of the face
              of evil we confront. Waxman is correct to be nervous. In fact, he
              should be terrified.
              rather think he is, don’t you?
May
              16, 2001
Jeff
              Elkins [send him mail]
              is a freelance consultant and writer
 living in North Central Florida.
              His personal website is located at www.elkins.org.
Copyright
              © 2001 LewRockwell.com
Jeff
              Elkins Archives

Back
        to LewRockwell.com Home Page

End<{{

T' A<>E<>R
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The libertarian therefore considers one of his prime educational
tasks is to spread the demystification and desanctification of the
State among its hapless subjects.  His task is to demonstrate
repeatedly and in depth that not only the emperor but even the
"democratic" State has no clothes; that all governments subsist
by exploitive rule over the public; and that such rule is the reverse
of objective necessity.  He strives to show that the existence of
taxation and the State necessarily sets up a class division between
the exploiting rulers and the exploited ruled.  He seeks to show that
the task of the court intellectuals who have always supported the State
has ever been to weave mystification in order to induce the public to
accept State rule and that these intellectuals obtain, in return, a
share in the power and pelf extracted by the rulers from their deluded
subjects.
[[For a New Liberty:  The Libertarian Manifesto, Murray N. Rothbard,
Fox & Wilkes, 1973, 1978, p. 25]]