-Caveat Lector-

> On Wed, 30 May 2001, Andrew Hennessey wrote:
> >We know that we can catch AIDS from old needles - that it is rugged
> >enough to survive in old blood in external conditions on our streets -
>
> This latter is not true.  HIV is actually pretty fragile, and breaks down
> rapidly when exposed to air; it only survives under anerobic conditions.

ok - but we know that HIV can be transmitted by addicts needles
and that conditions inside bugs are pretty much anaerobic, which
is even more cosy for the HIV virus than if it had been on a needle.

the fact that the reported infection rate from infected aerobic needles is
so high is even more cause for concern since .the anaerobic 'needles'
and digestive system of bloodsucking bugs have to be safer for the Virus
 given that the bite and transference rates are so high and the bugs own
juices
may not have time to begin digestion proper between victims.

Has anyone ever done research on the mosquito or bedbug population of
an HIV/AIDS area to see if the virus circulates within the bugs own saliva.
Probably not -

but what does common sense tell you - it doesn't like oxygen and you can
still catch it from the needles of addicts - think how often and how far
infected
blood travels in the bug population.

andrew
andrew