-Caveat Lector-

 >From Reuters,
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010531/ts/mcveigh_conspiracy_dc_1.html
-
Thursday May 31

McVeigh Request Renews Conspiracy Mystery

By Ellen Wulfhorst

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The request on Thursday by Timothy McVeigh
for a delay in his execution breathes new life into the
theory of a broader conspiracy in the Oklahoma City bombing case,
according to eyewitnesses who say they saw other mysterious figures
with McVeigh in the days before the blast.

Comments by McVeigh's attorney Richard Burr renewed the speculation,
in particular about the shadowy stranger who came to be known as John
Doe No. 2, they said.

Burr said in a news conference in Terre Haute, Ind., where McVeigh is
on federal death row, that ``if the evidence comes out as we believe
it is there, that there will be some credible evidence that other
people were involved.''

In seeking a delay in McVeigh's June 11 execution, his attorneys
accused the U.S. government of fraud for failing to turn over evidence
it had collected before his trial. The FBI recently
revealed that it failed to disclose thousands of documents in the
case, including interviews with eyewitnesses.

One eyewitness, Jeff Davis, who delivered Chinese food to an
unidentified stranger in McVeigh's Kansas motel room four days before
the bombing, said the developments could give more credibility to his
and others' accounts.

``I'm not the only person that put somebody other than McVeigh
there,'' Davis said from his job at the U.S. Army base at Fort Riley,
Kansas. ``One person can be a crackpot. You get more than one, and it
kind of loses the crackpot theory.''

The government has declared that John Doe No. 2 was a case of mistaken
identity and does not exist. It said nothing in the newly discovered
documents links anyone else to the bombing.

Along with Davis, other witnesses in the vicinity of Junction City,
Kansas, where McVeigh stayed prior to the bombing, also said they saw
him in the company of people still unidentified.

The owner of the motel where he stayed has said she heard several
voices coming late one night from McVeigh's room.

A waitress saw him eat lunch with three other men just days before the
bombing, while the owner of a diner in nearby Herington said she saw
McVeigh and convicted co-conspirator Terry Nichols with a third,
darker muscular man.

Others say McVeigh was not alone when he rented the Ryder truck to
carry the bomb, two days before the blast when Nichols was home with
his family.

Others saw a Ryder truck parked at Geary Lake days before McVeigh
parked his truck there.

QUESTION OVER DEATH PENALTY

McVeigh's attorney said one of those witnesses kept the jury in
Nichols' trial from voting for the death penalty.

``That witness was deemed to be credible by the jury and in interviews
after Mr. Nichols' trial, many of them said, 'We decided not to
sentence him to death because we believed on the basis of that one
witness' testimony there were other people involved,''' Burr said.

Georgia Rucker, a Herington resident who saw a second, earlier truck
at Geary Lake, said she still believes McVeigh should die, despite
what she and others may have seen.

``I believe there were other people involved, yes,'' she said on
Thursday. ``I don't believe taking this back to trial is going to
solve any problems. I believe that enough evidence came out against
McVeigh that he is guilty and deserves the death penalty.''

Burr told reporters the evidence question could affect the death
penalty imposed on McVeigh since there was evidence that Nichols was
spared the death penalty because jurors thought others might have been
involved.

The jury forewoman in Nichols' trial, Nikki Deutchman, said on the day
of his guilty verdict that she was convinced that other people had
been involved in the bombing.

``I think the government dropped the ball, and that there are people
who were very actively involved in this horrible crime,'' she said
then.

Recently, she said she feels the same way.

``I'm puzzled. I think there's a lot more to the story. I don't know
what it is,'' she said from her home in Denver.

Asked if justice had been done in the Oklahoma City bombing case, she
said: ``Justice? We're not nearly there.''