>From the Rumor Mill News Forum

http://www.rumormillnews.com

JOANN McGUCKIN LIVED IN FEAR OF HUSBAND'S PARANOIA

Posted By: RMNEWS
Date: Wednesday, 13 June 2001, 1:06 a.m.

  IDAHO

  http://www.spokesmanreview.com/news-story.asp?date=060901&ID=s975348

  McGuckin lived in fear, ex-wife says

  She tells of husband's paranoia beginning as early as 1978

  Thomas Clouse and Benjamin Shors - Staff writers

  SANDPOINT -- Michael McGuckin

  believed as early as 1978 that someone

  was tapping his phones and following him

  home, his ex-wife said Friday.

  Randy Sue Latimer, 58, told The Spokesman-Review

  that McGuckin became paranoid before he met his

  second wife, JoAnn Dunn, who authorities have

  characterized as mentally ill.

  Latimer, who divorced McGuckin in 1981 after 16

  years of marriage, "absolutely" believes that any

  mental illness JoAnn may be suffering came as a

  result of merging with McGuckin's fears.

  "I know JoAnn has been made out to be the villain,"

  she said from her home in St. Paul, Minn. "I don't

  know about (JoAnn's) paranoia, but the last year I

  was there, he was becoming increasingly paranoid."

  McGuckin, who was trained as an Army intelligence

  officer, never expressed any fear of the government

  before moving to Idaho in 1976, Latimer said.

  McGuckin, Latimer and their son, William, lived

  from 1976 to 1980 in the same one-story farmhouse

  that was the focus of international attention last week.

  Purchasing the farm fulfilled a lifetime dream for the

  couple. But McGuckin struggled to adjust to the rural

  lifestyle after a successful career as a contractor in

  California, Latimer said.

  "I think somebody may be listening in," he told her

  during a telephone conversation in 1978. "He'd say,

  `I thought a car followed me home today. Keep an

  eye out for a Chevrolet.'

  "It did make me nervous because it was so unlike

  him."

  McGuckin, 61, died May 12 after a lengthy battle

  with multiple sclerosis. Three weeks later, authorities

  arrested JoAnn McGuckin for felony injury to a child.

  A deputy returned to the farmhouse to collect the

  children but they then loosed the family dogs on a

  deputy and retreated into the home. They refused to

  come out, sparking a five-day standoff that ended

  peacefully last Saturday.

  As McGuckin's health worsened during the last five

  years, the family had become increasingly withdrawn,

  disconnecting their phone, taking down their mailbox

  and avoiding neighbors.

  Bonner County Prosecutor Phil Robinson said Friday

  that investigators are compiling an inventory from a

  search of the McGuckin home.

  JoAnn McGuckin, 45, will appear Wednesday for her

  preliminary hearing. Authorities say she and her six

  children were living in a house filled with dog feces,

  rotting food, dead mice and garbage.

  McGuckin's court-appointed attorney, Bryce Powell,

  has said those conditions resulted, in part, from the

  five-day standoff.

  Latimer remembers a modular home with two

  bedrooms, a living room, kitchen and dining room.

  "It was a roomy little house," Latimer said. "What I

  cannot imagine is nine people living in that house."

  She moved to St. Paul in February 1980, and they

  were divorced in 1981. She hadn't seen him or been

  to the farmhouse for more 20 years, and lost contact

  with McGuckin.

  She received his obituary in the mail, but chose not to

  attend the May 25 funeral.

  "I grieved for the man I loved a long time ago,"

  Latimer said as she wept. "It took me 10 or 12 years

  to give up that sadness."

  The paranoia ended a relationship with a man

  Latimer described as an "extremely bright, very

  talented, handsome and lovely man."

  McGuckin attended a prestigious prep school in

  Groton, Mass., and the University of North Carolina.

  He met Latimer in 1962 when both lived in San

  Francisco. The couple married in 1965 and had one

  son.

  McGuckin left a successful business as a contractor

  in Marin County, Calif., to pursue a rural lifestyle

  near Sagle.

  But Latimer -- a playwright who founded the Unicorn

  Theatre in Sandpoint -- said her ex-husband lost his

  focus.

  "He just never found his way," she said. "I think he

  was doubting his capacity to live a productive life."

  The couple talked about converting the 350 acres

  they purchased along Garfield Bay Cut Off Road into

  a tree farm, meadows or perhaps a gentleman's farm.

  "He spent his life doing jobs where the rules were

  clear," Latimer said. "He was just lost."

  Latimer met JoAnn in Sandpoint where both served

  on the local arts council. Michael and JoAnn married

  in the fall of 1981.

  Latimer believes JoAnn eventually began to share her

  husband's fears as his health deteriorated.

  "When I knew JoAnn, she seemed like a pleasant

  young woman -- outgoing, interested in people,"

  Latimer said. "As far as I'm concerned, it began with

  Michael."

  Staff writer Susan Drumheller contributed to this

  report.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

RUMOR MILL NEWS
P.O. BOX 1784
APTOS, CA 95001

DEAD DOCTORS DON'T LIE
http://www.deaddoctorsdontlie.com/agent/raye/

>From Rayelan, Publisher of Rumor Mill News:
If you are like I am, and no longer trust the medical profession, check out this page.
These are the products I use. Without them, I would NEVER be able to keep up the
schedule I do with Rumor Mill News.

If you need a little extra money as well as added energy, you should think about
becoming a distributor. Several people have signed up under me, and already they are
receiving checks. These products SELL themselves! If you spend a lot of time on the
Internet, you can help yourself physically and financially by adding a Dead Doctors
Don't Lie link to the bottom of your email.

Signing up under Rumor Mill News will help keepThe  Rumor Mill up and running. Thank
you!

RMNews, The Uncensored National Rumor
http://www.rumormillnews.com
THE ONLY RUMOR YOU CAN TRUST