-Caveat Lector-

Honor the USS Liberty on the Fourth of July

One western state recently stunned its citizens by declaring June 8, 2001,
USS Liberty Tribute Day.  Few of Arizona Governor Jane Hull's constituents
had ever heard of the USS Liberty.  Fewer still knew that on June 8, 1967,
this American ship was destroyed by the one foreign government that most
Americans thought to be our number one ally, the State of Israel, killing
and wounding two-thirds of the crew.

Though the Arizona Proclamation received superficial publicity, many
readers were agape when they read that 200 American crewmen were killed or
wounded in repeated attacks by the Israeli Navy gunboats and submarine and
Air Force jets.  The proclamation omitted mention that Israel destroyed
Liberty, but the accompanying press did correctly pin the deed on Israel.
Arizona may be the first state to recognize the sacrifice by the men on
the Liberty.  We are grateful to Jane Hull for taking a risk to her career
to tell the truth.

The Liberty Tribute is the work of one man, author Jim Taylor, who has
made exposure of this long hidden nightmare his lifetime work.  We Hold
These Truths salutes Jim Taylor on this 225th Fourth or July.  We will
make a project of making June 8 USS Liberty day every year, everywhere.

The attack that killed 34 and wounded over 160 American seamen was
deliberate and top Israelis admit it.  It involved an air launched rocket
attack, and patrol boats that systematically machine gunned of the life
rafts on Liberty's deck.  An Israeli submarine then torpedoed the ship
blowing a 20 foot hole in the hull, leaving it to sink.  But the Liberty,
though completely destroyed, would not go down.  President Lyndon Johnson
and Secretary of Defense McNamara personally intervened to recall American
rescue aircraft from reaching the Liberty while the attack was in progress

Israeli patriots and apologists have tried to diffuse the Arizona
proclamation.  One planted editorial claims that the Israeli's sought only
to "disable" the ship, implying that the Liberty might have otherwise
provided criminal intelligence to the Egyptians, Syrians and Jordanians.
This argument has as many holes in it as the Liberty did (800) after the
attack.  Others have come forth to refute them, and the issue is now
public.

The most stunning part of the story is the depth and deviousness of the
cover up that has kept the incident secret from most Americans for 35
years, and that it is the work of our own leaders and the American press,
not the Israeli's.  Many Americans suspect that the state of Israel is
quite capable of murder and assassination, and suspect it has little
respect for the American people.  Those of us who watch events in
Palestine know the Israel government is capable of murder when it serves
its purpose, but they do not expect their own leader to be implicated.

Author Jim Taylor did his country a great service by recording the whole
story in his book, Pearl Harbor II.  Taylor, a resident of Arizona, paid
as high a price for his patriotism as did many who signed the Declaration
of Independence.  Taylor lost his job of 25 years as editor of TV Guide,
fired it seems because he published a book unacceptable to his Israeli
Patriot employer.  Taylor has told We Hold These Truths how his career
ended in a virtual blacklist by major Israeli patriot owned and controlled
US magazines and newspapers.

He was forced to seek employment oversees, but grew from the experience
and became one of the world's most knowledgeable Middle Eastern experts.
While Taylor experienced travel and high adventure, he was forced to work
away from his native country.  He has never stopped fighting to expose of
the great injustice he came to understand so well.

"Pearl Harbor II" is a powerful account of not only the event itself, as
reported by crew survivors, but also the political background for the
outrageous, premeditated and deliberate assault on our country.  It is
worthy to note that no less than three wars have been triggered over the
sinking of American ships.  Pearl Harbor II is a meaningful choice of
names.  Our leaders probably did not suspect the attack was coming, but
they refused to come to the aid of the ship while under attack and they
covered up the act after it was over.

Mr. Taylor did not overlook the role of the famous military McCain family
in the cover-up.  Vietnam "war hero", Senator John McCain, is currently
under a recall threat in his own state for being unfaithful to his party.
McCain's father, Admiral McCain, was appointed by Lyndon Johnson to
conduct the inquiry that eventually shoveled the incident under the rug
for 35 years.  McCain's inquiry was conducted in a foreign country, the US
press was excluded, and the results were bottled-up for a generation by
Admiral McCain

Collaborating evidence is now abundant.  Jim Ennis, a crew officer, wrote
his first hand account, "Assault on Liberty."  Ennis also mentions Admiral
McCain's role in the cover- up.  Both books are available for research.
The real motive for the murder and attempted murder of the crew is now
admitted after years of official silence, thanks to official collaboration
uncovered by author James Bambford in his new book on the National
Security Agency, "Body of Secrets."  On pages 187-239 Bambford explains
that Israel had two concerns: 1) the possibility of the world learning
that it had started the war, and 2) the fear that the Liberty would
discover it had summarily executed captured Egyptian prisoners.  The
episode has been suppressed for years by our own government due to the
death grip Israel maintains on our Washington foreign policy and
congressmen.

We Hold These Truths thanks Governor Jane Hull for finally recognizing the
American sailors and intelligence officers who were victims of this act,
by proclaiming June 8th in their honor.  May God bless Jim Taylor and
Liberty crew for keeping the story alive for 35 long years.  Those wishing
to communicate with Mr. Taylor may do so through our address or e-mail.

We Hold These Truths (whtt)
4839 E. Greenway Road, #151
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
480-947-3329

Copies of Jim Taylor's book are available from WHTT by special order, and
an audiotape interview with Jim Taylor is available from our WHTT
e-bookstore on our website. http://www.whtt.org/