-Caveat Lector-

Sometimes the Onion hits the bullseye:

 WASHINGTON, DC--Vowing to "restore the pristine splendor of America's
natural treasures," President Bush Monday unveiled "Project: National
Parks Clean-Up," an ambitious program to remove all toxic petrochemical
deposits from national parks by 2004.

 "Places like Yellowstone and Yosemite were once pure, unspoiled
wilderness," Bush said at a White House press conference. "But over the
course of the past 10 million years, we have allowed them to become
polluted with toxic fossil-fuel deposits, turning a blind eye to the
steady build-up of vast quantities of dangerous pollutants. It's time to
end this terrible neglect."

 Continued Bush: "A comprehensive survey of our parks, conducted by a
team of top geologists specially commissioned by me, has discovered
giant pockets of petroleum, coal, and other 'fossil poisons' beneath an
alarming 38 percent of our national parks' surface area. Though a
majority of these poisons are buried under several million tons of rock
strata, should they ever seep to the surface and spread into the
surrounding areas, they would spell disaster for the parks' precious
ecosystems."

 To underscore the severity of the crisis, Bush produced a chart
illustrating survey results for Yellowstone National Park, where a
"staggeringly huge" toxic-petroleum deposit was discovered.

 "This amount represents the equivalent of 40,000 supertankers worth of
oil," said Bush, gesturing toward a line on the chart. "To put the
dangers into perspective, consider this: If these 'petro-poisons' should
ever spill out into the park itself, the resulting environmental
disaster would be 40,000 times worse than the damage caused by the wreck
of the Exxon Valdez."

 "We cannot allow such a thing to happen," Bush said. "We must remove
this oil now, before it's too late."

 Under the Bush plan, 7.2 billion tons of toxic petroleum would be
removed by the target date of January 2004. Unlike other federal
environmental clean-up initiatives, administration officials say the
plan would pay for itself, offsetting costs through the sale of
petroleum byproducts produced as a result of the clean-up process.

 The clean-up, EPA chief Christine Todd Whitman said, may even prove
profitable, a
 prospect that has attracted the participation of private industry.
Already, many U.S.
 companies have expressed interest in lending assistance, and it is
hoped that these companies
 will carry out much, or perhaps all, of the clean-up effort.

 Though "Project: National Parks Clean-Up" represents Bush's first major
environmental
 initiative since taking office, supporters are quick to point that he
has been a longtime
 champion of petroleum removal.

 "As governor of Texas, Bush fought tirelessly to protect the state's
subterranean
 environment through a series of massive petrochemical-deposit clean-up
projects," Secretary
 of the Interior Gale A. Norton said. "Under his governorship, more tons
of petroleum-based
 subterranean environmental contaminants were removed in Texas than in
all the national
 Superfund clean-up sites combined. The Democrats talk a good game about
the importance of
 cleaning up the environment, but when it comes to actually eliminating
the threat of enormous
 oil deposits lurking under the surface of our nation, no one can hold a
candle to George W.
 Bush."

 Thus far, reaction has been mixed. Some have said it is unrealistic for
the president to try to remove so much petroleum so quickly. Others,
such as Sen. Bob Smith (R-NH), have charged that the president is caving
in to pressure from environmentalists, arguing that the government's
energies would be better directed toward improving the military.

 But despite such criticism, Bush stressed that the urgency of removing
the oil deposits should take precedence over everything else.

 "Nothing is more important than the legacy we leave future
generations," Bush said. "The costs of this project pale in comparison
to the importance of safeguarding our planet's ecosystem. Our primary
mission must be to protect and foster our nation's most precious natural
resource: oil. I mean, the environment."

http://www.theonion.com/onion3724/bush_vows_to_remove.html