-Caveat Lector-

Aug. 1, 2001, 5:55PM

Energy lobbyists 'fess up: We met with Cheney

By GLENN HAMER and MICHAEL PARANZINO

WE want to break our silence. We are two of the fat-cat, special-interest
energy lobbyists who met with Vice President Dick Cheney before his energy
task force issued its report.

What's more, we met frequently with the task force staff before the report's
release. The staff director, Andrew Lundquist, was on our speed dial. We like
to say he was the easiest man to reach in Washington. No secretary
screened access to him. He often answered his own phone.

Now we read that the vice president is fighting to keep secret from
Democrats a list of those he met with. And we don't blame him. The fringe-
right would throw him out of the Grand Old Party if they knew he was
cavorting with the likes of us.

You see, we are solar energy lobbyists.

To some on the right, solar energy still means Jimmy Carter in a sweater, or
California's own Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown looking for enlightenment. While
we admire Ronald Reagan as the man who made Mikhail Gorbachev tear
down the Berlin Wall, these wing-nuts revere Reagan for tearing down the
White House's solar panels installed by President Carter.

So we don't blame the veep for wanting to keep our meeting secret from his
right flank. But we do wonder why the Democrats are fixated on the process
of the task force, instead of winning political points based on substance.

Two recent national polls showed solar energy scoring phenomenal 90
percent approval ratings with the U.S. public. Given that political consultants
salivate at an issue with 65 percent support, you would think political
strategist Karl Rove personally would be hammering new solar panels onto
the White House roof.

Instead, the Department of Energy's first act in this arena, in April, was to
propose slashing the three solar energy research programs by 50 percent to
85 percent (a position the White House has since reversed). The task force
report also fell short. Its laundry list of 105 recommendations included just
one, albeit important, provision to promote solar energy deployment: a
residential solar tax credit.

Shouldn't the Democrats be hammering away at the proposed research cuts
and demanding swift passage of the solar tax credit? That would seem to
make more sense than arguing over meeting lists.

But as they focused on process, the Democrats now running the Senate
almost blundered on substance. On July 19, as senators prepared to vote on
renewable energy funding levels for 2002, they  realized they had less funding
for photovoltaics, the largest solar program, than House Majority Whip Tom
DeLay's version. It took quick action by Sens. Harry Reid, D-Nev., and
Wayne Allard, R-Colo., to promise in a colloquy to increase the photovoltaic
account in the pending conference with the House.

We think those on the right who have vestigial opposition to the U.S. solar
industry, and those on the left too busily engaged in Beltway subpoena
games to get the policy right, have been in the sun too long. The solar energy
industry grew by 43 percent last year, and the U.S. solar industry exports 75
percent of its products overseas. Solar electricity costs have been cut 50
percent in the last five years, and solar companies are hiring even as layoffs
mount elsewhere. Given that recent track record, the vice president and the
majority leader might be well-advised to get themselves into a photo with a
solar panel about now.

Hamer and Paranzino are lobbyists whose clients include the Solar Energy
Industries Association.

Steve Wingate, Webmaster
ANOMALOUS IMAGES AND UFO FILES
http://www.anomalous-images.com