-Caveat Lector-

>> Try doing that, and you'll soon find yourself running afoul of privacy
>> laws in many jurisdictions...
>
>Curious; how do such laws apply to people walking into a business
>establishment from a public street? Remember Tampa's camera
>defense? Presumably, "people walking on a public street have no reasonable
>expectation of privacy." :-)

A public street is just that -- PUBLIC.  One can't expect complete privacy
when out in PUBLIC.

A place of business is a PRIVATE establishment, according to the law...

Someone walking on a public street leading to an abortion clinic could be
legally videotaped or filmed...but as soon as they step onto or into private
property -- such as the property of the abortion clinic -- they could NOT be
videotaped or filmed without their express permission.  Same thing applies
if someone drives into an abortion clinic's parking lot, which is private
property, and never steps into the street but instead exits their vehicle,
crosses the parking lot to the clinic and enters...it would be against the
law to videotape or film such people without their express permission to do
so...

>>Who's paying for the webcams, and the rent for wherever these webcams will
>>be set up...
>
>From what I gathered going to the website (an unpleasant experience to say
>the least), such footage is obtained through/by volunteers.

But where are these volunteers and their cameras stationed?  If they are
outside the clinic, they are trespassing on private property.  If they are
out on the public sidewalk or street, they are loitering.  If they have set
themselves up in an adjacent building and are shooting footage out of a
window, who is paying the rent?

>Passers by either on foot or by car?

Then they would not be able to constantly videotape or film the people going
into and leaving the clinic.

>Sidewalks across the street?

Then they are loiterers...

>> else they could be easily removed as it would be
>>an issue of trespassing on private property.
>
>Only if charges were raised by property owners.

If they are on the clinic's property, one assumes that the clinic wouldn't
hesitate to press charges.  One also suspects that every other business in
the adjacent vacinity wouldn't hesitate to press charges against such
obnoxious trespassers, also...

>>I could set up a webcam pointing into Gary Condit's bedroom and argue that
>>m doing so for political reasons and argue First Amendment rights...but
the
>>fact is, I'd be violating Condit's right to privacy, a right that has been
>>upheld in the courts.
>
>Yes, for private citizens. From what I understand, the line between public
>figure and private citizen is a blurry one at best.

But a public figure still has a reasonable right to privacy in most cases.
I couldn't set a webcam up in every toilet in the White House and argue that
I have a First Amendment right to do so because George W. Bush is a 'public
figure'...

And what is being done with this anti-choice webcam is NOT involving public
figures, but private citizens...

June

* Check out Alternative Kite Radio -- http://www.altkiteradio.trancetechno
com for:
*
* Alternative Kite Radio (low-bandwidth)
* Alternative Kite Radio (high-bandwidth)
* Alternative Kite Summer Beachparty Radio (because it's always summer
somewhere on the globe)
* Alternative Kite Holiday Radio (because everyday is a holiday somewhere)