-Caveat Lector-

Taliban Won't Extradite Bin Laden Without Evidence
CNSNews.com
Thursday September 13, 2001
New Delhi (CNSNews.com) - The Taliban, Afghanistan's ruling
militia, has refused to extradite its "welcomed guest," Saudi
fugitive Osama bin Laden, without conclusive evidence of his
involvement in terrorist activities.
"All we know is that he (bin Laden) is somewhere in Afghanistan,
but we are not aware if he is under house arrest," a Taliban
diplomat said Thursday in Pakistan on condition of anonymity.

Within hours of the terrorist strikes in New York and Washington on
Tuesday, the Taliban Ambassador to Pakistan, Mullah Abdul Salam
Zaeef, cautioned the United States not to reach any hasty
conclusion about the suspects.

Asked if the Taliban anticipated U.S. retaliation, he said that
while it had no reasons to fear any attack, strikes could not be
ruled out.

Asked about bin Laden's possible extradition, Mullah Zaeef said on
Wednesday it would be "premature" to talk about it. "If any
evidence is presented to us, we will study it. About his being
handed over, we can talk about that in the second phase (after
receiving evidence).''

Previously, the Taliban refused to extradite bin Laden without
conclusive evidence that he was involved in the U.S. embassy
bombings in Kenya and Tanzania and last year's bomb attack on the
USS Cole at a harbor in Yemen..

The U.S. has been trying to negotiate bin Laden's extradition for
several months. As part of those talks, Taliban representatives
suggested at least three specific proposals, including an agreement
to try bin Laden under Islamic law as interpreted by the Taliban.
That was not acceptable to the United States.

Bin Laden: 'Don't blame me'

Bin Laden reportedly has denied involvement in Tuesday's terror
attacks, but he has warned that new trouble could erupt if the
United States attacks him.

On Wednesday, the Ausaf newspaper (written in Urdu, Pakistan's
official language) carried a statement quoting Bin Laden as saying,
"I do not have any hand in the attacks in the U.S. But I support
it."

The report in the newspaper said that bin Laden's statement was
handed over by one of his special envoys. That same envoy, the
newspaper report said, also translated the statement from Arabic to
Urdu.

Bin Laden is quoted as heaping praises on those who carried out the
attacks even though he admitted that most of the people killed were
innocent.

"But those being killed in Palestine are also innocent. Who cares
about those innocent people? The terrorist U.S. is fully behind
those killings," said the statement attributed to him.

Bin Laden also warned that more danger could follow if the United
States attacks him.

"The U.S. will be in more danger if they tried to kill me. If they
will kill one Osama, hundreds of Osamas will stand against them."

Bin Laden said that he was on a "holy mission" to liberate the
Palestine from the Jews. "I promise to fulfill my mission with the
help of my followers," he said in the statement published in the
Urdu newspaper.

The Islamic fundamentalist leader further said that thousands of
Muslim youths were committed to stand by him. "They are even ready
for suicidal missions. Moreover dozens of Muslim scientists who are
experts in different fields have assured me their knowledge and
expertise against anti-Islam forces."

He said the jihad against anti-Islamic forces would continue,
"until atrocities against Muslims stopped. There are many Muslims
like me who, after quitting luxurious life, have come to the path
of jihad. And we will continue the jihad against infidels.

"We don't possess any chemical weapon but our morale is even higher
than all those who have nuclear bombs. We'll force the U.S. to
change its policies and quit the anti-Islam agenda."

The Taliban, Afghanistan's ruling Islamic milita, has warned that
any retaliation against Kabul would be "a big mistake." However,
President Bush has made it clear he will not distinguish between
the terrorists and the countries that harbor them.

"We condemn the attack and make it clear that we are not involved
in it any way," Afghan ambassador to Pakistan Abdul Salam Zaeef
said on Tuesday in the Pakistani capital of Islamabad.

"Osama bin Laden has no facilities to [plan such a big strike]. We
don't expect the U.S. to attack us on mere assumptions," said the
Taliban Ambassador to Pakistan, Mullah Abdul Salam Zaeef.

CNSNews.com All Rights Reserved

All Rights Reserved © NewsMax.com