Letter from Ramallah - "Israel is pounding us even as I write"

Sept 16, 2001 - Ramallah

 I am writing to you now to the sound of Israel's "Defense Forces" pounding  the
living daylights out of my hometown Ramallah. As the whole world is  too busy
paying tributes to the victims of terror attacks in NYC and DC,  Israel has had
a field day in terror attacks of their own on us here.  Since the attacks in the
US, the Israelis have taken their assaults on  Palestinians to new heights.
Every day they have invaded a few cities using tanks, helicopters, and fighter
jets. Since the beginning of the intifada, there has not been so much Israeli
aggression like that  witnessed since last Tuesday.

 No one could put this clearer than Shaul Mofaz, Israel's Chief of Staffs,  who
boasted that his forces have killed tens of Palestinians and no one in  the
world said anything. Indeed, since last Tuesday there have been  unrelenting
attacks on each Palestinian city for no reason. Since the  beginning of the
Intifada Israelis have carried out only 2 or 3 such attacks, while since
Tuesday, there has been at least a dozen. Tens of  Palestinian martyrs have
fallen, and their cries have fallen on deaf ears  in this world. Everyone seems
to be more interested in backing that raging  cowboy Bush as he declares his
country going into war against a yet  unidentified enemy. The attack on the WTC
and Pentagon, is a clear act of  terror that I, and millions of Palestinians,
denounce. Yet it must be  really painful to see how the whole world has had
nothing to do in the  last few days but mourn the victims, while more than a
million and a half  civilian Iraqis have died since the beginning of the US
terror campaign on  Iraq. Why did no one weep for them, why did no one weep for
the hundreds  of thousands in Rwanda, and why is my people's suffering under the
illegal  Israeli occupation no longer interesting to anyone?

 Excuse me if my thoughts are a bit incoherent, or if my sentences seem to  make
little sense, but it is really hard to concentrate with Apache  choppers
hovering a few hundred feet above your head, armored tanks  unleashing their
might on your neighborhood, all sorts of missiles  flashing across your window,
and a nearby building being obliterated to  rubble. If you don't hear from me
anymore, then know that one of those  missiles has managed to find its way to my
room, turning me into a  meaningless number in a meaningless statistic that no
one will pay  attention to. For some inexplicable reason I felt like writing
this here  and now, and sharing it with you, I would really appreciate it if you
could pass it on to as many people as possible. Israel must not be allowed  to
continue its attacks on Palestinians.

 If terror is to be fought in this world, state terror is the first terror  that
must be eradicated. American attacks on civilians in Iraq, Sudan, and
Yugoslavia, and Israel's continued terror in Palestine are primary  examples.

 Finally, my heart goes out to every victim of terror in the world, to the
people of Hiroshima, Auschwitz, Rwanda, Baghdad, Belgrade, Vietnam, New  York,
and DC, it is at moments like this that I feel your suffering and  pain. I can
now honestly say that I know what it feels like to be a  victim.

  Yours

 Saifedean Ammous

16/9/20001
Ramallah, Palestine

Source (Islamic Association of Palestine)

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/47cccB/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/TySplB/TM

 SPY NEWS is OSINT newsletter
 and discussion list associated to
 Mario's Cyberspace Station
 http://mprofaca.cro.net/mainmenu.html
*** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
 Section 107, this material is distributed
 without profit to SPYNEWS eGroup members
 who have expressed a prior interest in receiving
 the included information for non-profit research
 and educational purposes only.

 For more information go to:

 (one message a day) send a blank message:
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 To unsubscribe SPYNEWS send a blank message:
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Mario Profaca, independent journalist,
 SPY NEWS eGroup list owner, editor
 & moderator, is a member of of the
 Committee of Concerned Journalists,
 an initiative administered through
 the offices of the Project for
 Excellence in Journalism in Washington, D.C.