-Caveat Lector-

<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/26/national/26ELIT.html>

September 26, 2001

DELTA FORCE

Commandos Left a Calling Card: Their Absence

By STEPHEN KINZER

SOUTHERN PINES, N.C., Sept. 25 ó This is as placid and pretty a town as
anyone could imagine, complete with stately old homes, antique shops, a
store that sells homemade fudge and an ice cream parlor across from the
clapboard train station. People here say they believe it is also home to
some of America's most fearsome commandos.

More than a few of these soldiers have disappeared in the days since the
terrorist attacks on New York and the Pentagon. No one knows for sure where
they are, but neighbors guess that some belong to the elite special
operations unit called Delta Force, and that they have made their way to
places near Afghanistan. Delta Force is thought to be based at Fort Bragg,
just a few miles down the road.

Chris Musto, a college student who works at a local cafe, said some of his
regular customers had suddenly stopped showing up.

"One guy I used to see all over the place," Mr. Musto said. "I saw him at
the bar, at the gas station, at the grocery store. But I haven't seen him
since all this started, or even his truck."

Others have also noticed unexplained disappearances here.

"There's a group of younger people who used to come in late at night who
aren't around anymore," said Patrick O'Donnell, owner of O'Donnell's Pub, a
popular tavern.

Who these soldiers are and where they have gone will always be a matter of
speculation. The Army does not release information about Delta Force or
even acknowledge its existence. Asked if it trains at Fort Bragg, a
spokesman for the Army's Special Operations Command, Sgt. Amanda Glenn,
replied, "We do not comment on that unit."

Many people around here, however, not only say that Delta Force is based at
Fort Bragg but take it as a point of pride. Some say that over the years,
many of its members have gravitated to idyllic Southern Pines.

"I'm sure there are Delta Force people here," said Joe Monroe, manager of
the local bookshop. "This is a place that gives you a relaxed feeling.
That's probably something they need after all the time they spend
practicing the awful things they do."

Army publications do not mention Delta Force, but for a time in the 1990's
the Army personnel Web site had this notice: "Delta is organized for the
conduct of missions requiring rapid response with surgical applications of
a wide variety of unique skills, while maintaining the lowest possible
profile of U.S. involvement."

Col. Charlie A. Beckwith, who was the first commander of Delta Force,
published a memoir in which he identified Fort Bragg as its headquarters.
Colonel Beckwith, who died in 1994, wrote that its members were trained "to
put two head shots in each terrorist."

That makes them perfectly suited to the war the United States is now
preparing to wage. If men like Osama bin Laden are hiding in remote caves
or underground bunkers, military experts say, no one is more likely to
overpower them than the commandos of Delta Force.

"They do not serve warrants and they do not make arrests," said Eric Haney,
who says he served with Delta Force for eight years and who now lives in
Georgia. "Their job is to kill people we want killed. That makes them ideal
for the situation our country is facing right now. At this moment, I
suspect a lot of them have already been pre-positioned in places that are a
lot closer to Afghanistan than they are to the East Coast of the United
States."

Military historians say that Delta Force was created in 1977 after a series
of terrorist attacks in various parts of the world, including the murders
of Olympic athletes in Munich. Those who want to join the unit face a
grueling selection process. It includes living for days without food in
hostile terrain and training with weapons including bamboo sticks and
"flash-bang" grenades that temporarily blind and stun adversaries.
According to Colonel Beckwith's memoir, successful applicants are
"audacious, free-thinking individuals" who can be "at times extremely
patient and at other times extremely aggressive."

Delta Force is believed to have fewer than 2,000 members. That is a small
fraction of the 30,000 men and women on active duty with all special
operations units, among them Rangers, Navy Seals and Special Forces, who
are sometimes called Green Berets.

Officers close to Delta Force say that several hundred members of other
elite military squads apply to join each year. Only a few dozen are
ultimately accepted.

Unlike other elite units, Delta Force commandos are trained to operate in
small squads or even alone. They may dress as they please, wear their hair
as long as they please and make decisions in the field that normal soldiers
may not.

"These are trained killers," said Daniel Goure, a former Defense Department
official who is now a senior fellow at the Lexington Institute, a policy
research group based in Virginia. "They're just right for the kind of
tactical operation we're looking at, like going into a cave or bunker
network full of armed people and making sure none of them get out alive.
They're perfect for taking out bin Laden and all the people around him."

Because Delta Force operates in great secrecy, no outsider knows the names
of its members, much less where they live. Many members do not even tell
their families the name of the unit to which they belong.

But people in Southern Pines cannot help noticing that something here has
changed.

"People you used to see, you don't see anymore," a waitress at Mac's
Restaurant said today. "They're here one day and just gone the next."

One of the absent may have been the anonymous parishioner at St. Anthony's
Roman Catholic Church who last week wrote a note in the prayer book
requesting blessings "for the military and our families as we obliterate
evil."

At the stationery store, Carol Sylverstein, who works behind the counter,
says she assumes that some people who live here are military commandos but
prefers to think of them simply as people who "shop and go to church and
bring their kids to school just like anyone else."

"You hear words like `delta' and you know more or less what's behind it,
but to us, these men as just part of our community," Ms. Sylverstein said.
"Now they're off doing something we can't even imagine."

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

   FROM THE DESK OF:

           *Michael Spitzer* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>