Bush Cites Progress Against Terror
By Pete Yost
Associated Press Writer
Monday, Oct. 1, 2001; 2:28 p.m. EDT

WASHINGTON –– President Bush cited progress on many fronts Monday in the war
against terrorism. Among the U.S. offensives is a package of covert aid to
groups inside Afghanistan that oppose the terrorist-harboring Taliban
militia, U.S. officials said.

"We're going to bring these people to justice," Bush said during an early
afternoon visit to the headquarters of the agency that oversees disaster aid.

Nearly three weeks after the terror attacks against the World Trade Center
and the Pentagon, Bush said it may take awhile to apprehend those responsible
for the hijacking attacks.

But he said he was pleased with what has been accomplished. He cited hundreds
of arrests here and overseas in the investigation, international cooperation
and initial success in seizing assets of Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaida
organization.

"The evildoers struck and when they did they aroused a mighty land," Bush
said at the Federal Emergency Management Agency. "We will not be cowed by a
few," he said.

Bush said that in the week since he announced a move to freeze assets of bin
Laden and 26 other individuals and organizations, some $6 million has been
blocked and 50 bank accounts frozen, 30 in this country and 20 overseas.

He also noted that some 29,000 American troops have been committed to the
effort. "This is a different kind of war. It's hard to fight a guerrilla war
with conventional forces, but our military is ready," Bush said.

As part of that effort, Bush approved assistance to groups within Afghanistan
that oppose the ruling Taliban militia.

"The purpose of the mission is to eliminate those who harbor terrorists. ...
We will work with a variety of people, all of whom have an interest in
establishing an Afghanistan that is peaceful and does not practice
terrorism," said White House spokesman Ari Fleischer.

The effort is separate from a United Nations humanitarian program to help
Afghans overcome hardships, and from a new U.S. plan to provide tens of
millions of dollars to Afghan refugees who have fled to neighboring Pakistan.

Meanwhile, Pakistan's president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, said earlier Monday
that he believes the Taliban's days are numbered.

"It appears that the United States will take action in Afghanistan, and we
have conveyed this to the Taliban," Musharraf told the British Broadcasting
Corp.

In other developments Monday:

–The administration made plans to announce later this week the reopening of
Washington's Reagan National Airport, the only airport still closed after the
Sept. 11 terror attacks. A senior administration official, speaking on the
condition of anonymity, said it would reopen under vastly tightened security,
including limits on flights and requiring armed air marshals on those
flights.

–New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani appealed to the world community to not give
in to terrorism. "The United Nations must hold accountable any country that
supports or condones terrorism or you will fail in your primary mission as
peacekeepers," Giuliani told General Assembly representatives from more than
150 countries.

–Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said America's armed forces are ready
for the war on terrorism. He spoke at a ceremony honoring Army Gen. Henry
Shelton, retiring as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Shelton cited
"recent evil and barbaric attacks."

In his remarks to federal disaster workers, Bush noted that their agency was
mainly set up to deal with natural disasters.

"Now, all of a sudden, some evil people came and they declared war on
America. And your agency, and the good working people – true Americans – had
to rise to the occasion. And rise you did," he said.

But, he said, the battle was a "campaign that must be fought on many fronts,
and I'm proud to report that we're making progress on many fronts."