-Caveat Lector-

Current events are making many of the insights and attitudes of the
Cyberpunk movement of the early 90s seem as prophetic now as they seemed
then. Here is an article I published (more an editing job than anything,
really, excising such phrases as "Prigoninic cathexis") in 1990.
Wade through the pretentious language and perhaps you'll see what I mean...

Chris

*******

                                CYBERPUNKTUATIONS

The following is composed of extracts from an article by MARK DOWNHAM on
Cyberpunk which appeared in London's VAGUE magazine . A disorganized
mixture of clear apercus and tortuous prolixity, it lends itself to
rearrangement and  bowdlerisation. Here are a few of his more interesting
statements.

Chris

********************

 OF CYBERPUNK FICTION

>>> Cyberpunk began as a loose generational nexus of writers swapping
letters,  manuscripts, ideas.

>>> Cyberpunk crunches together neuro- and physical chemistry, genetic
biology,  structural linguistics, cybernetics, bio-technology and cyborg
engineering into a  fantastic series of fictions.

>>> There is no typical cyberpunk, although the general project does have
central  themes, tenets, and topics. I'd say it is an eighties milieu -
nineties, post-2001 would  equally do - it is a product of the interzone
between hard technologies/sciences and  nihilo-romanticist surrealism. Its
precursors are Michael Moorcock, Langdon Jones,  Harlan Ellison,  Samuel
Delaney, Norman Spinrad, Brian Aldiss, John Varley,  Philip. K. Dick,
Alfred Bester,  the strange pulsing entropies of Thomas Pynchon,  the
panic-theory of Baudrillard, the Situationist International,  Larry Niven,
Roger  Zelaney,  H.G. Wells,  the "programming phenomena" control-data buzz
of Guy  Debord,  and the seminal genius of J.G. Ballard.

>>> Cyberpunk was essentially initiated by J.G.Ballard in The Atrocity
Exhibition.  Ballard details the collapse of a landscape through which lines
of deterritorialisation  have proceeded to absolute tolerances, fractal
zones in which sheer contiguity  replaces syntax...

>>> Ballard's work is an attempt to grasp the contradiction of
representational  analysis of the future directly. These inundated
near-futures transform our own  present into the recognisably determinate
past of something yet to come.

>>> Cyberpunk, as Philip K. Dick's novels and the films of David Cronenberg,
deals  with a near-future world congested with the coming technologies of
everyday life  and pushes the thresholds to the point where the psychoses
rip through and the  Metrophage gets ugly...

>>> Thomas Pynchon in Gravity's Rainbow explores the obliteration of
outdated  territories, languages, affiliations, of any boundaries or forms
that have impeded the  installation of cybernetics--the theory of messages
and their control is here  intermeshed with the hegemony of what Pynchon
calls the mega-cartel, the  zaibatsu, the multinationals.

>>> Cyberpunk is the literary incarnation of this colliding of fictional
worlds, between  the high-octane five star fantasies of the multi-nationals
and the junk-cult feral  scams of the street guerillas living off their
products, but fantastically mutating  them.

>>> Certain central themes spring up repeatedly in Cyberpunk. Firstly, the
theme of  body invasion, the target vehicle: prosthetic limbs, implanted
circuitry, cosmetic  surgery, cyberspace, DNA, genetic alteration. Secondly,
the real hard edge of mind  invasion: brain-computer interfaces, artificial
intelligences, neuro-chemistry--all the  techniques radically redefining the
nature of humanity, the nature of the self.

>>> Cyberpunk is gorged with detail-it uses carefully constructed intricacy
and  readily extrapolates into daily life. It goes for crammed or condensed
prose: rapid,  dizzying, skidding bursts of novel information, sensory
overload, a special brilliant  feeling that makes you crisp at the
edges--submerging the reader in the equivalent  of a titanic blast of
information, great gulfs of linguistic intensity as the vasopressin  hits.

>>> Cyberpunk has a strong garage-band aesthetic. It grapples with the raw
core of  the near future--its myths, its ideas, its coming practices. It is
a pop culture which is  theorizing itself into a more cohesive and
self-determined existence.

Of BLADE RUNNER

>>> Blade Runner is really about Roy Batty/Rutger Hauer/method actors in
general.

>>> The Cyberpunk must allow him/herself to be swept into the multiple
currents  that cross the city and beckon at random, to clear a path through
a deliberately  confused atmosphere of this fictive metropolis and
distinguish the real from the  irreal even in the most indiscernible cases.

>>>Roy's murder of Tyrell is the most meaningful statement in the whole of
Cyberpunk : "It is a fearful thing to meet your maker."

Of the Media-Induced Experience: "THE SPECTACLE":

>>> For Baudrillard, television--chief purveyor of the Spectacle--is a
paradigm of  failed escape combinations, of implosive effects, of remembered
codes that make  you forget yourself to pieces; the Videodrome collapses any
distinction between  receiver and sender, between the medium and the real.
Baudrillard's subject is  locked into an uninterrupted interface with the
video screen in a universe of  fascination.

>>> Through the 1960's television collaborated with the automobile in the
virtual  annexation of all spaces. The television screen and car windshield
reconciled visual  experience with the velocities and discontinuities of the
marketplace. As windows  they seemed to open onto extensive space in which
autonomous movement might  be possible-instead they have become apertures
that frame our transit through  streams of disjunct objects and affects,
across disintegrating and hyper-abundant  surfaces.

>>> The pervasive imagery of programming phenomena are now enveloping us-a
sensorily expanded data-chatter, image-flick world of digitized life and
languages  mediated by video display screens--the formation of a discipline
shifting inevitably  towards cyberspace.

>>>In Cyberpunk whatever drifts across the retinal socket, the screen, or
the home  computer is part of the same homogeneity.

>>> Now the screens of the home computer and word processor have succeeded
the  automobile as core products in an ongoing relocation and
hierarchisation of  productive forces.

>>> Cyberpunk engages the whole notion of the Spectacle: the Videodrome,
the  satellite media net, the multinational corporation--they are the stuff
of Cyberpunk  and continually reappear in its fictions.

 OF THE CONVERGENCE OF DISCIPLINES

>>> The differentials between the sciences and the humanities; the gulf
between  literary culture, the formal structures of art and politics and the
culture of science,  the world of engineering and industry--it's all
converging. The advances of science  are deeply radical--potentially
revolutionary even, if utilised appropriately.

>>> Cyberpunk comes from the realm where the computer hacker has locked
into  the post-art political culture and its discontents. Cyberpunk explores
interzones,  especially those between the multi-nationals and street
cultures; the street always  finds its own use for things, call them
technological artifacts or the virtual  technologies of the Videodrome.

>>> In Cyberpunk, geographical frontiers no longer exist, and in their place
are  being manufactured vast micro-electronic territories.

>>>The convergence of television, telecommunications, computers is creating
an  ideology of technological determinism, and prefabricated futures which
mirror the  present Spectacle.

>>>Cyberpunk both involves itself in and carries out a radical critique of
the  processes involved, with a view to transformatory change.

 OF SYSTEMS AND CYBERNETICS

>>> Cyberpunk is a pop-cultural fascination with cybernetic systems,
including a  vast array of machines and apparatuses that exhibit
computational power. Such  systems contain a dynamic, even if wasted,
quotient of intelligence. Telephone  networks, communication satellites,
radar systems, programmable laser video-discs,  robots, biogenetically
engineered cells, rocket guidance systems, videotex  networks--all exhibit a
capacity to process information and execute actions. They are  all
cybernetic in that they are self-regulating mechanisms or systems within
predefined limits and in relation to predefined tasks.

>>> Cyberpunk uses the computer and AI to symbolise the entire spectrum of
networks, systems, and devices that exemplify cybernetic or automated but
intelligent behaviour.

>>> There are no truly entropic or closed systems in Cyberpunk as there are
in  Situationist theory; all processes impinge upon and are effected by
other processes  in some way. Systems feed energy into each other. Feedback
exists between systems  that are not in themselves closed but contingent
upon other systems. A system is closed when entropy, virtual technologies,
the Videodrome, gas or electricity bills dominate the feedback process, that
is when the measure of energy lost is greater than the measure of energy
gained. A candle is a good example.

>>> There is no more opposition in the Cyberpunk territory between the
abstractions of money and the apparent materiality of commodities; money and
what it can buy are now fundamentally of the same substance.

>>> Cyberpunks not only understand that cybernetics is a conveyance of
information theory  and cognitive psychology, but that these are the
dominant phenomenologies of a virtual society. For instance, the problem of
tracking anti-aircraft weapons against extremely fast targets has led  to
research into, and the development of, intelligent mechanisms capable of
predicting future states faster than the unaugmented human brain can do.
Never strike where your opponent is,  but at the space they will occupy in
the future.

Of the Media-Induced Experience: "THE SPECTACLE":

>>> For Baudrillard, television-chief purveyor of the Spectacle-is a
paradigm of  failed escape combinations, of implosive effects, of remembered
codes information  theory and cognitive psychology, but that these are the
dominant phenomenologies  of a virtual society. For instance, the problem of
tracking anti-aircraft weapons  against extremely fast targets has led to
research into, and the development of,  intelligent mechanisms capable of
predicting future states faster than the  unaugmented human brain can do.
Never strike where your opponent is, but at the  space they will occupy in
the future.

>>> Cyberpunk makes clear that information is a name for the content of what
is  exchanged with the outer world as we adjust to it and make our
adjustments felt  upon it-to live effectively is to live with adequate
information, the fictions of  Cyberpunk.

>>>Cyberspace as described by William Gibson in Neuromancer was prefigured
in  Nicola Tesla's 1901 plan for a world system of totally interconnected,
planetary  communications. He believed he could engineer a globe unified by
the universal  regulation of time and fully traversed by flows of language,
images, and money-all  reduced to an undifferentiated flux of electrical
energy.

 OF THE AIMS OF CYBERPUNK

>>> Cyberpunk is a radical interrogation of the virtual technologies at work
in  contemporary society.

>>>Situationist Cyberpunk flicks aside the general form of Marxist
analysis...and  suggests that the classical definition of productive forces
is too restrictive and  expands the analysis further into the whole murky
field of significations,  transmissions, communications, materialisations,
reifications- programming  phenomena.

>>> Cyberpunk attempts to de-mythologize the established cultural codes, in
order  to decipher concealed strategies of domination, desire, will, power,
and the will to  power. Cue dry ice, smoke, Leni Riefenstahl.

>>> Cyberpunk is hammering away against a system of appearances that is so
thoroughly of the social/material that its operations are indistinguishable
from  those of the entire hegemonic order. They are the hegemonic order.

>>> One of the key roles of the expanding electronic grid is to articulate a
new social  and geopolitical stratification based on immediacy of access to
data. The aim of  Cyberpunk is to create a state of temporary gridlock in
order to insert certain secrets  of its own.

>>> For Cyberpunk, the computer is much more than an object; it is also an
icon and  a metaphor that suggests new ways of thinking about ourselves and
our new  environments, new ways of constructing images of what it means to
be human.

>>> Cyberpunk is potentially a a scrambled mass of referential fictions
stolen from  the near future in search of an operational strategy for the
living of life, which in  itself is increasingly experiencing slippage into
the virtual technologies of the near  future.