-Caveat Lector-

http://boston.com/dailyglobe2/347/nation/Disarmament_called_overstated+.shtml

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Disarmament called overstated

Tribal leaders say Taliban kept much

By Patrick Healy, Globe Staff, 12/13/2001

ANDAHAR, Afghanistan - The recent Taliban disarmament in Kandahar was far
less sweeping and crippling than initially believed, tribal leaders here
revealed yesterday, with only about 40 percent of Taliban's guns, rocket
launchers, and heavy artillery surrendered to opposing forces.

Mullah Naqibullah, a Kandahar powerbroker who supervised the disarming, said
that despite pledges to give up their weapons as part of a surrender
agreement with opposition forces, Taliban commanders and soldiers fled the
city Friday with thousands of weapons. After a news conference yesterday,
where his remarks were frequently misstated by his interpreter from Pashtun
to English, Naqibullah confirmed that Taliban firepower in the area is
stronger than imagined by opposition commanders.

''Some of the weapons we took and are still with me, but more are still with
these soldiers,'' said Naqibullah, a one-time Taliban sympathizer who is a
tribal leader in the region. ''Now we must find these men.''

Five days after the fall of Kandahar, security here remains a major concern
of both leaders and people on the street. The threat of a resurgent Taliban
force was underscored yesterday by frequent sightings of US special forces in
the city, and by reports of a continuing stand-off between T aliban and
opposition soldiers in Sperwan, a village about 20 miles outside Kandahar.

A heavily armed Taliban commander, Hafiz Majid, and an unknown number of
troops were hunkered down in Sperwan yesterday and balking at terms of
surrender from opposition forces. Majid, a close and trusted aide to Taliban
supreme leader Mullah Mohammad Omar, has insisted on a guarantee that he will
not be killed, according to a military adviser to Afghanistan's prime
minister-designate Hamid Karzai.

The officer, speaking at Karzai's Kandahar headquarters inside Mullah Omar's
former home, said negotiations had bogged down because Majid's safety is
impossible to insure, given the enemies he has made over five years of
Taliban rule.

''I don't think we can protect this man from being killed,'' said the
officer, who requested anonymity but is familiar with the negotiations. ''His
safety cannot be promised.''

US Special Forces units here are assisting with the hunt for former Taliban
leaders and especially Omar. And despite the hundreds of armed anti-Taliban
soldiers patrolling the streets - most of them armed with Kalashnikovs
assault rifles - the American soldiers have also emerged as the guarantors of
security here. The units are especially active at Kandahar airport, which was
secured from Taliban fighters on Monday.

At least two of the American units have been staying in unfurnished guest
houses at Omar's former home. Those officers moved out yesterday afternoon to
an undisclosed location, leaving packets of pork chow mein and western-style
beans behind.

No fighting was reported or heard in Kandahar yesterday, military officials
said.

Dozens of Taliban soldiers fled Kandahar - the spriritual birthplace of the
strict Islamic regime - late last week as US-backed opposition units moved
in. The Taliban forces, under the leadership of Omar, had initially agreed to
surrender and give up their weapons. By the time of the surrender, most of
the soldiers escaped the city and Omar remains at large.

Since last Friday, few Taliban soldiers have been captured or killed and only
a handful of weapons have been recovered, Naqibullah and other regional
tribal leaders said after meeting with Karzai here yesterday.

Naqibullah said that tribal leaders agreed to a request that the United
Nations begin a massive disarmament effort in Afghanistan and especially
Kandahar, where rival tribes, warlords, and roving highway bandits threaten
the fragile calm achieved after last Friday's Taliban retreat.

Karzai has supported a UN-mandated peacekeeping operation in Kabul when the
new government takes office Dec. 22. But he and other Afghan leaders are wary
of foreign troops fanning out across the country on a mission to collect arms.

Whether the UN would agree to the disarmament request is also uncertain, but
Naqibullah said Afghanistan's future depended on it.

''We need the UN to take all the weapons from all the groups, and only then
will we have peace and stability,'' he said.

People throughout Kandahar view Naqibullah with suspicion. He allowed Taliban
soldiers to voluntarily turn over their weapons, and even when reports began
surfacing that some of the men were fleeing with weapons, little was done to
find them. In addition, the Taliban's former ambassador to Pakistan initially
said Omar would be allowed to stay in the city under Naqibullah's protection,
a proposal that US officials rejected.

Yet Naqibullah denies any past or current alliance with Taliban officials.

''If I was a supporter of the Taliban, they would have given me a ministry,
yes?'' he said.

Naqibullah said he expected the US soldiers to stay at least until a UN-led
peacekeeping force arrives. ''The Americans have no choice,'' he said,
''because the people responsible for Sept. 11 are still here.''

Write to same address to be off lists!