-Caveat Lector-

From
http://toogoodreports.com/column/general/shelton/20020116.htm

}}}>Begin
On Prince Harry: We Really Don't Care

By
Lee R. Shelton IV

Toogood Reports [Wednesday, January 16, 2002; 12:01 a.m. EST]

Is anyone else annoyed by the attention the British royal family
receives? Even after Princess Diana´s passing, the media can´t seem
to tear themselves away from the pageantry of palace pretenses for
one second. Like a pride of lions stalking its prey, scores of
reporters are crouched and ready to pounce on the latest story, no
matter how insignificant it may be.

The most recent bit of juicy gossip concerns Prince Harry, the second
son of Charles and Diana. It appears he has a little drug problem. A
senior member of the royal family's staff noticed the strong smell of
cannabis (that´s "marijuana" in American) and alerted Prince Charles.
Harry confessed to his father that he had smoked cannabis on several
occasions and has even been known to drink to excess at parties. With
the ensuing media maelstrom over the dropping of this little
bombshell, you´d think Germany had resumed its air raid campaigns
over London.

The British tabloids, which make filthy, old rags like the National
Enquirer seem like fine linen by comparison, have dubbed the teenaged
royal upstart "Prince Harry Pothead." First of all, who really cares?
Secondly, is that the best they could do? (I´m beginning to see why
the English haven´t produced any good comedies since Monty Python and
the Holy Grail .)

Prince Charles was very diplomatic in dealing with the situation.
Rather than give the blue-blooded brat a swift kick to the posterior,
he consulted with eldest son William on what the best course of
action would be. According to a friend of the family, Charles "did
gently question him, asking, ‘Are these really the right people to be
hanging around with? Are these really the right things for you to be
doing at 16 in your position?' Harry was very mature about it and
quickly realized the error of his ways."

As if that brutal tongue-lashing wasn´t enough, young Harry was sent
to a drug rehabilitation center and forced to listen to horror
stories about addicts who had progressed from playfully flirting with
Mary Jane to becoming caught up in the seedy, hardcore world of
Madame Heroin. "It's not that Charles felt Harry needed treatment,"
the friend continued, "but he definitely needed a shock." The smell
of cannabis has been absent from the premises ever since, indicating
that Harry has gone straight... or at least has switched to a more
potent brand of incense.

Pot smoking, underage drinking — are these the kinds of problems we
have to worry about in the world today? With everything else that's
going on, these are the kinds of problems we should be hoping for. In
a time when we are waging a global war on terrorism, I can´t believe
that this is what passes for breaking news in what was once the most
powerful empire in the world.

With all the media coverage given to this story, you would think
reporters would have at least asked the one, crucial question all of
us want answered:

Did the Prince inhale?

Perhaps there will be an update forthcoming.

Members of the British royal family seem to carry with them a certain
mystique that captures not only the fancy of the English people but
closet Anglophiles all over the world. Is it the celebrity status? Is
it the bevy of butlers with British accents? Is it the horse- drawn
carriage rides? Is it the lavish lifestyle enjoyed at taxpayer
expense?

I must admit that I have never understood the near-unhealthy
fascination people have with the royal family. The royals are people
who have no political power, no vote in parliament, and are
essentially living on welfare, albeit an extravagant form of welfare.

You recall the immense coverage given to Princess Diana when she was
tragically killed in a car crash in 1997 and the seemingly
insignificant coverage given to Mother Teresa when she died less than
a week later. Contrary to what many people may believe, England is
not a monarchy and the royal family is not deserving of the attention
it receives.

Reports of Prince Harry's misfortunes bring to mind the recent
commotion caused by First Daughters Barbara and Jenna Bush. News of
their underage drinking was plastered (no pun intended) across
newspapers all over the country and then disappeared once the story
ran its course.

Members of the royal family and those close to them believe that this
story has run its course as well and are trying to put the issue to
rest. Buckingham Palace released a statement saying that Queen
Elizabeth II "hopes the matter can now be considered as closed." A
family friend said, "If [Harry's] brother and his father didn't care
so much about him, there might well have been a different end to this
story." I'm sure both the queen and the friend don't believe for one
minute that Harry's problems are over, but they know that pretending
all is well might disperse the newshounds. Well, more power to them.

In the grand scheme of things, does any of this really matter? Let's
look at it another way — we have recently seen that taking a bite of
a pretzel can pose an even greater health risk than taking a puff on
a joint, so I fail to see why the fact that Prince Harry smoked pot
is front page material. If it had been learned that he was running an
international drug smuggling ring, that would have been worth
reporting.

My advice to the media is this: Please find something to report on
that is actually worth the 50 cents we shell out for a newspaper.
What with a global war on terrorism raging, the European Union
expanding its power, Israel on the brink of an all-out war with Iraq,
and Jack Van Impe reinterpreting Bible prophecy each week so that no
one knows what to think, I believe you can do better than to expound
on the herbal indulgences of the British royal family.

NOTICE TO WRITERS: To obtain required information prior to submitting
your essay to Toogood Reports for publication send for “Commentary
Submissions” guidelines. Nonconforming submissions will not be
considered for publication.

January 16, 2002

RECENT COLUMNS:
01/09/02: Is U.S. National Security A Lesson In Inadequacy?
01/02/02: The Misplaced Passions Of Our Misguided Patriotism
12/26/01: What Do You Mean This Isn't A War On Islam?
12/19/01: Washington Elitism And American Defeatism
12/12/01: Was September 11 America's "Great Awakening?"
12/05/01: Public Relations, Patriotic Revelry, And Promises Reneged
11/23-25/01: Rediscovering And Restoring Our Rich National Heritage
11/16-18/01: True Leadership In The Midst Of Crisis
11/09-11/01: This Is What Separates U.S. From The Terrorist Nations
Of The World
11/02-04/01: What Separates The U.S. From The Terrorist Nations Of
The World?
10/26-28/01: The Lost Art Of Declaring War
10/19-21/01: Someone Slap Me — Louis Farrakhan Is Starting To Make
Sense
10/12-14/01: Those Who "Blame America First" May Have Good Reason
10/05-07/01: When, Where, And How Will The U.S. Be Attacked Next?
09/28-30/01: Terrorism, Tyranny, And John Ashcroft's Good Intentions
09/21-23/01: Liberty And Safety: Do Americans Deserve Either One?
09/14-16/01: Any Retaliation Must Be Tempered With A Change In Our
Foreign Policy
09/07-09/01: "In Order To Form A More Perfect Union..."
08/31-0902/01: Secession Must Remain An Option For The Preservation
Of Liberty
08/24-26/01: U.S. Troops In Macedonia: The Next Step In Our New
Manifest Destiny
08/17/01: The Bombing Of Iraq: Part Of Our New Manifest Destiny
08/10/01: Mein Knopf
08/03/01: Jackals For Justice
07/27/01: Taxing Our Patience
07/21-22/01: Statesmanlike Decision Is Easy Way Out For Bush In Stem-
Cell Dilemma
07/13/01: The Pledge Of Allegiance: Love It Or Leave It

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Toogood Reports contributor Lee Shelton is a freelance writer
residing in Minneapolis, MN with his wife, Dawn. He describes his
politics as "Paleo- Conservatarian" — a conservative sociopolitical
philosophy with libertarian leanings, tempering both with Biblical
and constitutional principles, and advocating a return to the
federalist ideals of our forefathers. Visit Lee's personal website or
e-Mail him at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[ Front Page News | Page Two Links | Book Shoppe | Link To Us ]

Copyright 1999, 2000 by Toogood Reports. All rights reserved.

End<{{{
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                     German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway