[  Folks, If we don't close the Borders it's gonna get real bad out there.
I contend we have no idea how many terrorists are crossing our Borders.
THE PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS THE PROTECTION OF THE LEGAL RESIDENTS AND THEIR PROPERTY.  ]
Archibald

Wednesday, January 16, 2002

Story last updated at 6:15 p.m. on Wednesday, January 16, 2002
Two Tampa officers shot during traffic stop

The Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. - Two police officers were recovering from gunshot wounds Wednesday after they were shot with one of the officer's guns during a scuffle at a traffic stop.

Officers R.D. Pemberton, 43, who was wounded in the right shoulder, and Larry Mitchell, 46, who was shot in the groin, were released from Tampa General Hospital Wednesday afternoon, a hospital spokeswoman said.

They were shot with Pemberton's 9mm Glock service weapon after one of the suspects wrestled it away from the officer.

Also shot in the scuffle is accused shooter Saul Garcia, 24. He was in stable condition at St. Joseph's Hospital with wounds to his abdomen and leg, police said.

Two other men, Jose R. Hernandez-Garcia, 20; and Bartolome Perez Chavez, 28, were also in custody. The men were driving a van registered in Georgia, but police do not know if they were living there.

Saul Garcia was charged with two counts of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer and one count of depriving an officer of his weapon. His brother, Hernandez-Garcia, is being held on one count of aggravated battery on an officer and two counts of resisting arrest without violence.

Chavez was not charged in the incident, but is being held by the Immigration and Naturalization Service after police determined all three men were in the United States illegally from Mexico.

Durkin said police do not know a motive for the shooting. There were no warrants for their arrest and they were only being stopped for running a red light.

The shooting occurred about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday when the two officers stopped the van in north Tampa. The officer saw Hernandez-Garcia switch seats with his brother and asked Hernandez-Garcia to get out of the van.

As they were escorting him to the police cruiser, Hernandez-Garcia began fighting with Pemberton, police said. As Mitchell tried to assist, Saul Garcia hit him from behind and knocked him to the ground, police said.

Saul Garcia took Pemberton's weapon and shot both officers, police said. Mitchell was able to return fire, hitting Saul Garcia.

The two other men fled in the van, but were captured after crashing it.