-Caveat Lector-

Turning Macs on Thievery

http://news.lycos.com/news/story.asp?section=LycosBreaking&storyId=50025

By Leander Kahney

Jan 25, 2002 01:45 p.m. PST

- - - - - Every year about 400,000 computers are stolen in the United States.
Only 3 percent are ever recovered. But after his sister's iMac was taken during
a burglary, a Houston man was able to get it back using remote-control
software, expert help from friends on the Net, a large dose of luck and some
incredible naiveté on the thief's part.

In a story that is probably unique, R.D. Bridges recovered his sister's stolen
iMac using Netopia's Timbuktu Pro, a program that allows computers to be
remotely controlled and is widely used by computer-help technicians. Bridges,
who lives in Clear Lake, a suburb of Houston, had installed the software to help
his sister, who lives across town, when she ran into problems.

The iMac and a printer were stolen last October. Foolishly, the thief didn't erase
the hard drive. When they connected to the Net, Timbuktu alerted Bridges the
iMac was online.

Horrified his sister's résumé, tax files and other sensitive files were still on the
hard drive, Bridges hoped to install a "suicide script" to erase everything.
Using Timbuktu, he figured he could put a script into the Mac's startup folder,
which would be automatically executed the next time the machine was turned
on.

"My sister didn't want a crook going through all that stuff," Bridges said. "You
know what it's like, you have tax returns, letters, your résumé, telephone
numbers, addresses. There's so much personal and private stuff on your
computer. You don’t want crooks going through all that and then paying a late-
night call on your in-laws and friends."

For help, Bridges turned to a Usenet newsgroup, alt.comp.lang.applescript.
AppleScript, the scripting software built into the Mac's OS, can be set up to
perform all sorts of functions -- including trashing files.

Marc Myers, an AppleScript expert who runs AppleScriptsToGo.com,
responded with a clever script that moved everything to the trash except the
System Folder, emptied the trash and shut the machine down. Myer's "Death
Script" excluded the System Folder because any attempt to erase it would
prompt an error message, stopping the process in its tracks.

Shortly after Myer's script was posted to Usenet, Bridges was alerted that the
iMac was online. He copied the script over and surreptitiously erased some of
his sister's most sensitive files.

Unfortunately, the stolen iMac was connected using his sister's ISP, her login
and password, which gave Bridges no identifying information about them at all -
– no names, phone numbers, anything. He hoped maybe the police could get
an IP address or phone number from the ISP, but he later found out the
company didn't log incoming calls.

Starting to doubt he would track down the stolen machine, Bridges changed the
startup screen –- the graphic displayed when the machine boots up -– to show
a Jolly Roger branded with an Apple logo, and emblazoned with "Stolen iMac"
in big yellow letters.

"I was kind of desperate at that point," he said. "I couldn't figure out where it
was. They were using my sister's ISP."

A user on the Applescript newsgroup suggested writing another script to launch
a pop-up reading, "You have won a special $500.00 prize. Your machine has
run for 3,000 hours without a major problem!" The script would prompt for a
name, address and phone number to redeem the prize.

But Bridges was skeptical. "It seemed kind of ambitious and also relied too
heavily on them being both gullible and honest in their answers," he wrote.

Instead, he came up with the idea of a script instructing the iMac to call him or
his sister. He would then get the thief's phone number from his Caller ID. "The
advantage ... is it takes the human factor out of it," he wrote. "(I) don't have to
rely on their greed to get the info."

At first, it appeared the Death Script had worked. The machine didn't connect
to the Net for about a week. But unfortunately, the Death Script had a flaw: If any
of the files in the trash were locked, it failed to empty the trash. Myers whipped
up a fix, which Bridges copied to the iMac.

Meanwhile, the iMac had been switched from his sister's ISP to AOL. (Bridges
figured this out by installing WildPacket's EtherPeek, a software program that
records IP packets, from which he extracted the IP address and traced it back
to AOL's domain). Bridges continued to erase files one-by-one, but was wary
of taking full control of the machine in case anyone figured out it was being
remotely controlled and shut it down.

Bridges also changed the AOL dialup to his home number, with his sister's
number as the backup. He and his sister soon received about 15 calls from an
unknown number. Bridges tried to look it up online, but it wasn't listed. His
sister passed it on to the police.

"I think we have a winner," Bridges told the newsgroup, which had attracted
quite an audience curious to learn the outcome. "Hopefully the police can get
an address from the number and get a warrant."

A few days later, Bridges reported he'd talked to the investigator: "He said he
went to the house that belonged to the phone number that I had dial my number.
A lady there admitted she had it, but said she got it from "some guy." She
agreed to bring it and the printer out for him, but didn't want him poking around
the inside of her house."

Bridges said the woman was charged with possession of stolen property and
given one year's probation last week.

"The planets lined up for us on this one," said Bridges. "It was really kind of
flukey and good fortune."

Tim Williams, the Timbuktu product manager at Netopia, said in the 13 years
the software has been available, this was the first time he'd heard of it being
used to track down a stolen computer.

"We had a pretty good laugh," he said. "It was very clever. He took exactly the
right approach."

Williams said he's now thinking of adapting the software to make it easier to
track missing machines. "(Bridges) showed it can be used in that way, but
there's probably things we can do to enhance it," he said.

Absolute Software, a Canadian security company that tracks computers for
corporations, schools and businesses, operates a service called CompuTrace,
which works in a remarkably similar way to Bridge's amateur sleuthing.

Absolute's CompuTrace software programs computers to call the company's
tracking center in Vancouver, B.C., at prescheduled times. If a machine is
reported stolen, the monitoring center waits for it to dial in, then reprograms it
to call every 15 minutes until its location can be traced. The software is very
difficult to remove, and works even if the hard drive is reformatted or
repartitioned. The company has been operating since 1997 and claims a 95-
percent success rate.

"We've recovered hundreds of computers," said spokeswoman Courtney
Chauvin. "It's a very stealthy agent."

"In little more than a year we have gone from enjoying peace and the most prosperous
economy in our
history, to a nation plunged into war, recession and fear. This is a nation being
transformed before
our very eyes."

http://www.truthout.com

Steve Wingate, Webmaster