-Caveat Lector-

>>>Seems like the irony is that Georgie is recognising his
tentativeness in his position: the high flyer of polls, projector of
confidence, leader of at least 25% of the American people (50%
voting, and 50% of those voting for him).  of course, support is
expected when crises hit; yet, beyond a specific crisis, whatsupport
is there?  Georgie, one-time party boie, may be feeling the weight of
decisions that will chart the course of his future, but at the same
time, may be recalling the solaces of the past.  Thus, he is
reaffirming HIS faithfulness and wants a bunch of others to be
keepers of promises.  A<>E<>R <<<

From
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38340-2002Feb7.html

}}}>Begin
Bush Urges U.S. to Turn to Prayer

By Ron Fournier
AP White House Correspondent
Thursday, February 7, 2002; 9:56 AM

WASHINGTON –– President Bush on Thursday urged Americans of all
faiths to turn to prayer as they struggle through "this time of
testing" after the terrorist attacks.

Bush said religious faith teaches tolerance, humility and the value
of community service – all of which are needed to recover from Sept.
11 and vanquish terrorism.

"Every religion is welcomed in our country. All are practiced here.
Many of our citizen profess no religion at all. Our country has never
had an official faith. Yet we have all been witnesses, these past 21
weeks, to the
power of faith to see us through the hurt and loss that has come on to the country,"
Bush said at the National Prayer Breakfast.

The breakfast is a 50-year tradition that brings lawmakers, foreign heads of state and
spiritual leaders together in prayer. This year's event was filled with tributes to
the heroes of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Ten representatives of the New York Fire Department were invited to the event, and
Lisa Beamer addressed the group. She is the widow of Todd Beamer, 32, of Cranbury,
N.J. He and a group of passengers on United Flight 93 a
pparently attacked the suicide hijackers in order to prevent their captors from
crashing the plane into a building in Washington.

It went down instead in a field in western Pennsylvania, becoming the only one of four
hijacked planes that did not take lives on the ground.

"The men and woman who charged into burning buildings to save others, those who fought
the hijackers, were not confused about the difference between right and wrong," the
president said. "They knew the difference. They kn
ew their duty, and we know their sacrifice was not in vain."

Bush said millions of Americans, including himself, were put on "bended knee" in
prayer after the attacks. More prayers will be needed, he said.

"There will be hardships ahead. And faith will not make our path easy, but it will
gives us strength for the journey," Bush said.

Bush spoke of the "good that has come from the evil of Sept. 11," pointing to the
surge in community spirit.

"Faith shows us the way to self-giving, to love our neighbors as we would want to be
loved ourselves," said Bush, who has asked Congress to expand taxpayer-funded
community service programs.

"It is always and everywhere wrong to target and kill the innocent," Bush said. "It is
always and everywhere wrong to be cruel and hateful, to enslave and oppress. It is
always and everywhere right to be kind and just, to
 protect the lives of others, and to lay down your life for a friend."

Urging Americans to be tolerant of each others' views, Bush said: "Respect for dignity
of others can be found outside religion, just as intolerance is sometimes found within
it."

Bush's national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, offered the closing prayer at the
breakfast.

"In this time of testing for our nation, my family and I have been blessed by prayer
from countless Americans," Bush said. "We have felt their sustaining power."

Later in the day, Bush was embracing compromise legislation to help religious
charities, although supporters have yet to resolve how they will pay for the
scaled-back initiative.The compromise would give new tax breaks to
 individuals and corporations, while abandoning the contentious effort to open new
government programs to religious groups.

Bush also was meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon to underscore America's
support for Israel amid a dramatic increase in Middle East violence.

The president, who is keeping a busy travel schedule this week, was
in New York on Wednesday night to assure state residents that they
can expect the full $20 billion he pledged to help the city recover
from the attacks.

White House budget director Mitch Daniels said earlier this week that
money for individual victims would be counted against the $20 billion
package, but Bush said his aide misspoke.

© 2002 The Associated Press
End<{{{
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                     German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway