-Caveat Lector-

http://www.pilotonline.com/breaking/br0218god.html

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Senate OKs national motto in courts, if funded
By BOB LEWIS, Associated Press
 February 18, 2002

RICHMOND -- The Senate approved legislation Monday that would require posting
of the national motto, ``In God We Trust,'' in state courtrooms, but put its
effectiveness in doubt by adding an amendment requiring the state to pay for
it.

On a 30-10 vote, the Senate approved the bill the House had OK'd
overwhelmingly in January, but a related bill to require posting the motto in
public schools was passed by for the day when a senator sought to add the
same funding amendment.

 Requiring the legislature to appropriate money to post the motto in schools
or in courts could keep the measure from taking effect for years as
legislative budget writers summarily reject most new spending requests as
they struggle with a $3.8 billion shortfall.

``So unless the General Assembly appropriates funds, which I don't believe is
done in the Senate budget, the law won't become effective,'' said Sen.
Kenneth W. Stolle, R-Virginia Beach, who heads the committee that added the
funding requirement.

Sen. Linda T. ``Toddy'' Puller liked the amendment so well that when the bill
to require posting the motto in schools came up moments later, she offered a
floor amendment requiring the state to pay for that as well.

``If we're going to indeed put this law into effect, then it is our
responsibility to pay for these plaques, or whatever they are, that are
mounted in our schools,'' said Puller, D-Fairfax County.

Sen. Nick Rerras asked that the amendment be rejected. He said schools should
be allowed instead to accept private contributions to pay for displaying the
motto, ``to provide strength and inspiration, to help with perseverance in
times of need especially in days when we have terrorists flying jumbo jets
into our towering skyscrapers.''

``Is the junior senator from Norfolk telling us that had this been posted for
the last 20 or 30 years nobody would have flown a plane into the World Trade
Center?'' Sen. Richard L. Saslaw, D-Fairfax County, asked in response.

In other business, the Senate also voted 34-5 with one abstention for
legislation that would remove a limit on the amount of real estate that
churches may own.

If it becomes law, the measure could resolve a conflict the Rev. Jerry
Falwell's Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg encountered in its efforts
to expand. Falwell sued in U.S. District Court contending the state's acreage
limit for churches was unconstitutional.

Write to same address to be off lists!