-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

U.S.:Kidnapped Reporter Pearl Dead

By RICHARD PYLE
.c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (Feb. 21) - Daniel Pearl, the Wall Street Journal reporter taken
hostage a month ago by Islamic extremists in Pakistan, is dead, the State
Department said Thursday.

The U.S. Embassy in Pakistan received evidence Thursday that Pearl is dead,
the State Department said. ''We have informed Mr. Pearl's family and
expressed our sincere condolences.''

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher provided no details on the
evidence. Two U.S. officials said, however, the FBI had obtained a videotape
purportedly showing Pearl either dead or being killed, and is evaluating the
tape's authenticity. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity.

The Journal said it believed Pearl was dead.

''We now believe, based on reports from the U.S. State Department and police
officials of the Pakistani province of Sind, that Danny Pearl was killed by
his captors. We are heartbroken at his death,'' the newspaper said in a
statement.

Syed Kamal Shah, police chief of the province that includes Karachi, told The
Associated Press by telephone that a videotape sent to the U.S. consulate in
Karachi indicated that Pearl was dead.

Pearl was abducted in the port city of Karachi on Jan. 23 after arranging to
interview the leader of a radical Muslim faction with purported ties to the
al-Qaida terrorist network and terror suspect Richard C. Reid, arrested in
December on a Paris-Miami flight he allegedly boarded with explosives in his
shoes.

The Journal statement, signed by Publisher Peter Kann and Managing Editor
Paul Steiger, called Pearl ''an outstanding colleague, a great reporter, and
a dear friend of many at the Journal.''

''His murder is an act of barbarism that makes a mockery of everything
Danny's kidnappers claimed to believe in,'' it said. ''They claimed to be
Pakistani nationalists, but their actions must surely bring shame to all true
Pakistani patriots.''

In a statement issued from their home in California, Pearl's parents and two
sisters said: ''We're shocked and saddened about the confirmation that our
worst fears have been realized. Up until a few hours ago, we were confident
that Danny would return safely, for we believe that no human being could be
capable of harming such a gentle soul.''

The Journal said, ''We will, in coming months, find ways, public and private,
to celebrate the great work and good works Danny did. But today is a day to
grieve.

''This loss is, of course, most painful for Danny's family, in this country
and elsewhere. We ask our colleagues in the press to respect their privacy,
and to permit them to grieve undisturbed.''

The State Department condemned the killing.

''Both the United States and Pakistan are committed to identifying all the
perpetrators of this crime and bringing them to justice,'' Boucher said. ''We
will continue to work closely with Pakistani authorities, who had made every
effort to locate and free Mr. Pearl.''

Pearl reported from the United States, Europe and Asia in a 12-year career
with the financial daily. Based in Bombay, India, for the past year as the
Journal's bureau chief for South Asia, the 38-year-old Pearl was on
assignment in Pakistan as part of its coverage of the war on terrorism in
neighboring Afghanistan.

The Princeton, N.J., native had worked for newspapers in western
Massachusetts and briefly in San Francisco before joining the Journal in
Atlanta in 1990. He later reported from Washington, London and Paris - where
he wrote about the Middle East - before moving to Asia.

''The Wall Street Journal is a public institution, but the Pearls are private
citizens,'' the Journal statement said. ''We hope also that our colleagues,
too, will be permitted some time and space to begin the very difficult
process of making peace with this profound loss.''

Pakistani officials said there were indications that Pearl had been lured
into a trap by false information.

In an intensive sweep, Pakistani police seized several suspects, including
Ahmad Omar Saeed Sheikh, an Islamic militant who admitted in a court hearing
that he had engineered Pearl's abduction to protest Pakistan's alliance with
the United States' post-Sept. 11 war on terrorism.

''Our country shouldn't be catering to America's needs,'' Sheikh said.

According to Pakistani authorities, Sheikh, a British-born key figure in an
airplane hijacking and hostage incident in 1999, first told them Pearl was
alive but later claimed the reporter had been killed in an escape attempt
around Jan. 31.

Write to same address to be off lists!