-Caveat Lector-

http://www.newsmax.com/showinside.shtml?a=2002/2/18/203559

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Monday, Feb. 18, 2002 9:33 p.m. EST

Saddam's Bombmaker: Iraq Working on 'Hiroshima size' Nuke

Iraqi madman Saddam Hussein will likely have a "Hiroshima size" nuclear bomb
within the next 24 months, the physicist who headed up Iraq's nuclear weapons
research program said Monday.

Citing U.S. intelligence estimates, Dr. Khidir Hamza told nationally
syndicated radio taker Sean Hannity, "I don't think he has [nuclear weapons]
right now but it may not take long for him to have it - a year or two
probably.

"U.S. intelligence estimates at least a year. Germany estimates by 2005,
three nuclear weapons," the top Iraqi nuke scientist said.

Dr. Hamza, who defected to the U.S. in 1994, warned about Hussein's nuclear
weapons program in his autobiography, "Saddam's Bombmaker," three years ago.
More recently he has been working closely with U.S. intelligence agencies.

He declined to describe the precise nature of his cooperation with those
agencies, telling Hannity, "I cannot talk about that. You know that."

Hamza did reveal that the 1991 Gulf War interrupted Iraq's A-bomb program in
its final stage, just as he and the rest of Saddam's nuke team were in the
process of acquiring materials for the bomb's nuclear core.

HAMZA: We [scientists] dragged our feet. We really had enough material to
make the bomb then. We delivered it now back to the French but we claimed
that we could not extract enough uranium to put in a nuclear core. ...

HANNITY: So you're saying you did have enough - you could have built nuclear
weapons but you dragged your feet?

HAMZA: We could have, yes. Actually, everybody [dragged their feet],
including the chemists who were in the process of extracting the uranium from
the French bureau. Nobody wanted to give Saddam a bomb because we know he
would use it recklessly and finish Iraq with it.

(End of Excerpt)

German intelligence now believes Hussein once again has all the bombmaking
materials he needs except for the enriched uranium necessary for the nuclear
core.

"According to the Germans he, more or less, has 30 to 35 percent of the
technology needed to enrich uranium for bomb grade," said Hamza, adding, "so
he will have enough uranium, and he already has a stockpile of uranium to
use."

The top Iraqi nuke scientist said that, based on what he witnessed, Hussein
is working on "Hiroshima size" weapons of "12 to 20 kilotons."

But he cautioned:

"There was some enhancement to the bomb that could raise it to 40 kilotons.
So you are looking at [a] realistic nuclear weapons stockpile equivalent to
that of, say, at least India and Pakistan - and if it continues, probably
larger."

Write to same address to be off lists!