-Caveat Lector-

from: http://www.ahpweb.org/pub/perspective/saharasia.html

AHP PERSPECTIVE June/July 2000 Table of Contents
SAHARASIA: The 4000 BCE
Origins of Child Abuse, Sex Repression, Warfare and Social Violence in the
Deserts of the Old World
By James DeMeo, Ph.D.
Greensprings, OR: Orgone Biophysical Research Laboratory, 1998.
Reviewed by Paul Von Ward

Today, we see too few big books with big ideas. If for no other reason,
James DeMeo's magnum opus deserves the attention of all concerned about the
roots of violent human behavior. As the title suggests, he attempts to pin
down the origins of institutionalized violence, the source for so much pain
in society and a conundrum for the field of psychology.

Some of his big questions should titillate your questing mind. Are humans
innately violent, due either to "original sin" or "faulty genes." Are truly
peaceful societies possible? With so much media attention to sex, why is
there so little profound sexuality in modern society? Why are overtly
religious nations so violent? How do politics and business contribute to
social violence?

There are additional compelling reasons to spend time with this broadly
researched and provocative volume: DeMeo reminds us of the relevance of
Wilhelm Reich's largely unknown, ignored, or suppressed contributions to
developmental psychology. DeMeo's (and Reich's) hypothesis stimulates
re-examination of currently competing theories of personality development.
Documentation of "patrist/armored/patriarchal/dominator" behavior patterns
versus those of the Yin polarity in world cultures is very well presented.
He makes clear just how repressive and anti-human most societies, including
our own, remain, as we begin the 21st century. His findings suggest that our
modern concepts of social control and jurisprudence only reinforce the
historically rooted, violent traditions we allegedly abhor. In other words,
our self-serving, repressive institutions and social values cause the
violence-youth and adult-that we pretend is beyond our understanding and
control.
DeMeo believes his work supports Reich's thesis that "human armoring," a
defensive personality, results from painful social and physical
environmental factors. Thus, he concludes, that the apparent correlation of
repressive, abusive, and violent behaviors in societies undergoing harsh
environmental shifts millennia ago confirms a geographic basis for such
human behavior.

The focal point of his work is the region he calls Saharasia, the primarily
desert area that encompasses most of North Africa, the Near East and Central
Asia. Truly a "Renaissance Man" with graduate training in geography, DeMeo
assembled data that tracks the Saharasian transition from a fertile,
nurturing environment to its current harsh, arid state. Describing Saharasia
around 10,000 BP, he says it possessed a relatively moist and lush
environment, thick with grasses, trees, lakes, rivers, swamps, and a
plethora of large and small animals. Neolithic hunters ranged over it,
engaging in animal herding and limited agriculture. The region began to
experience extreme droughts five or six thousand years ago and, over time,
turned into the desert we know today.

With archaeological and anthropological data, DeMeo pinpoints the appearance
of what he calls "patrist" cultures in this region. He theorizes that these
violent, sadistic cultures arose in reaction to the increasingly harsh
environment, where resources became scarce and the basic necessities of life
were difficult to come by. He suggests the "biometeorological effects" of
drought and famine, with the trauma of competition for food and water, could
have led to irritability and conflict. From this plausible assumption, he
extrapolates the assertion that such disturbed cultures therefore developed
formal patterns of violence, including genital mutilations, sacrifice,
torture, etc.

These formal patterns in "patrist" cultures, or subcultures in a larger
society, include:
* repressive patriarchal institutions and deities,
* castes and classes that may include slavery,
* low attention to infant needs, and * painful male and female initiation
rites.

These societies punish sexual expression, subordinate females, inflict pain
and trauma on the young, murder widows and female infants, and torture and
execute criminals. The resulting authoritarian society suppresses healthy
pleasures, creating guilt-ridden, repressive personalities that are violence
prone. Individual members manifest what Reich called "armored character
structures." Such people direct their violence not only at established
victims (children, females, submissive males) in their own group, but toward
outsiders whom they perceive as different. (These attributes apply just as
much to modern, industrial cultures as they do to more traditional ones. And
the suppression of natural pleasure-seeking emotions may be done by force,
rules, or drugs-as is now shown in British research on the use of Prozac.)

A "matrist" culture, in contrast to "patrist," includes:
* low levels of adult violence,
* more democracy and egalitarianism
* gentle child treatment norms, and * healthy sexual relations.
DeMeo believes "matrist" cultures are the normal developmental path for
humans, and that human violence has appeared only at specific times and
places in human history. He describes cultural distribution patterns that
tend to support his thesis.

He concludes "that 'patrism' originated first and only within the harshest
of hyperarid desert environments, and then only around 6,000 years ago." He
further believes subsequent "patrist" societies outside Saharasia resulted
from the invasion by "patrists" of adjacent temperate and wetland regions.
The spread of such values by people inured to violence and hardship enabled
them to impose their cultural patterns on more peace-loving peoples. DeMeo
describes how "powerful nomadic-warrior cultures of Central Asia and Arabia
have played a prominent role in the genesis of kingly states, military
allegiances and political history in both Saharasia and its moister
borderlands."
The existence of "matrist" societies in other harsh climates-parts of the
Himalayas, deserts of southern Africa and North America, and the Andes
mountains-poses questions about the validity of his theory. But other
explanations will have to encompass DeMeo's data.

While one may offer alternative hypotheses to DeMeo's Saharasian origins,
there is no escaping the importance of his descriptions of the links between
certain culturally accepted practices and individual violence. Though it may
not be necessary to return to lush tropical conditions to encourage a more
"matrist" orientation, there is little question that the abnormal level of
violence in modern society is fueled by pent-up emotions that appear to the
perpetrator to have no other outlet. The answer lies in recognition of the
biological need all children (and the child in all of us) have to experience
sensual and emotional pleasure. To the extent that adults filled with
"pleasure anxiety" (anxious about their own biological sexual impulses)
thwart this drive through repressive religious and legal controls or drug
regimes, they contribute to the neuroses and psychoses of violent acting
out.

Neither Reich nor DeMeo, nor I for that matter, advocate the view that all
forms of trauma must be avoided in childhood to raise psychologically
healthy adults. Obvious controls are necessary to protect life and limb
while growing up, and some challenges are necessary for robust personality
development. (The Hermetic Principle of Polarity implies that certain
constraints are necessary for the development of constructive uses of
freedom, but "patrist" cultures, including our own, demand unhealthy,
extreme controls.)

In contrast to DeMeo, I believe violence-based controls, beyond the
preservation of life and family, were originally more a function of belief
systems than reactions to external circumstances. If that is true, we need
to search for the etiology of the beliefs. Unfortunately, most of them come
from "patrist" religions that are the creations of men who would control
others for their own pleasure. The most obvious self- and pleasure-denying
are the supernatural religions that blossomed in the Fertile Crescent of the
Middle East.

One implication of Saharasia-that no consensus exists on the origins of
antisocial behavior-helps us understand why we have made no progress in
developing answers to the question of why the United States has the highest
level of violence among all so-called "developed societies." We social
scientists have been unable to persuade leaders of our institutions that the
problem is linked to flaws in the very essence of our society. Thus,
advocates of popular solutions to school violence, physical attacks and
murders, road rage, domestic and workplace violence, hate crimes, etc., only
propose more stringent application of their favorite tactics of repression
that caused the problem in the first place.

People who believe violence results from a devil or evil force that captures
human souls harangue nonbelievers more forcefully, urging adherence to their
favorite creed. Those who think violence results solely from natural
chemical imbalances market their unnatural drugs of choice. Others believe
the way to eliminate antisocial behaviors is to further ostracize the
troubled individuals by kicking them out of families, schools, and
communities, even locking them up in harsh prison environments that require
such behaviors to survive. Those who think rules and punishment for
infractions will curb the natural, including violent, expressions of
repressed emotions create even more repressive laws. People who believe
troublemakers need to be "civilized" try to forcefully educate or train
people, using fear-based techniques that only exacerbate the resentment from
earlier repression.

Until there is a general understanding of the links between pent-up anger or
rage and unnecessary repression of natural human needs for creative
expression, emotional affection, and sexual pleasure, positive change will
be impossible. The Esalen Institute recently sponsored a character
transformation (from armored to flowing) workshop using Reich's technique of
character analysis with breathwork and direct intervention in the body
armor. While useful for a few individuals, such efforts cannot lead to the
dramatic shift in assumptions our society must undergo to break out of its
self-perpetuating spiral towards greater alienation and acting out. We need
a strategy for society-wide rethinking of our beliefs about human nature.

Saharasia and the work of DeMeo's institute can make significant
contributions to the conceptual underpinning of a society conducive to the
growth of loving, self-regulating, and robust personalities. I highly
recommend this books and getting on the institute's e-mail list.

PAUL VON WARD, MPA and MSc, can be contacted at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

AHP PERSPECTIVE JUNE/JULY 2000 Table of Contents

 AHP Perspective Editorial Guidelines  Advertising Information
----
 Association for Humanistic Psychology 45 Franklin Street, Suite 315 San
Francisco, CA 94102 Phone: 415-864-8850 AHP e-mail address:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
----

Copyright ©1996,1997 by Association for Humanistic Psychology unless
otherwise noted in the article. All rights reserved.