-Caveat Lector-

on 3/9/02 3:22 PM, Jei at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]

Funny that article only details half the killing of innocents that went on

Try this:

http://europe.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/03/09/mideast.airstrikes/index.html

Gunmen shoot into crowd in Israeli city of Netanya

March 9, 2002 Posted: 2021 GMT

An injured man is loaded into an ambulance in Netanya.

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Three suspected Palestinian gunmen were killed after
shooting at least 35 people in the northern Israeli coastal city of Netanya,
Israeli police said Saturday.

The gunmen shot indiscriminately in all directions in an area of hotels and
restaurants adjacent to a pedestrian walkway along the Mediterranean Sea in
the city, located about 35 miles (55 kilometers) south-southwest of Haifa
and close to the West Bank, according to CNN's Michael Holmes.

The Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, a militant wing of the Fatah movement -- which
is closedly aligned with Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat --
claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Israeli ambulance workers said five of the people were seriously wounded.

The shootings occurred at the end of the Jewish Sabbath, as people went
outside for the evening to socialize.

Meanwhile, Palestinians security sources said Israeli helicopters attacked
targets in Gaza, aimed either at the headquarters of Palestinian Authority
President Yasser Arafat or a nearby police station.

Earlier Saturday, Israeli forces said they found 10 Qassam-2 rockets and an
explosives lab in a Palestinian refugee camp on the West Bank on Saturday,
while Palestinian security forces said they arrested a fourth man in
connection with the assassination of Israeli Tourism Minister Rehavam Zeevi.

The Palestinian Authority had no immediate comment on the Israel Defense
Force's reported discovery at a refugee camp near Tulkarem in the northern
West Bank. Israeli officials have said the Qassam-2 missile, which has been
fired periodically at Israeli targets since February, enables militant
groups to strike deeper into Israeli territory than ever before.

Israeli forces moved into the Tulkarem refugee camp Saturday in armored
personnel carriers and rounded up about 500 mean and boys for questioning at
a school for Palestinian refugees run by the U.N. Relief and Works Agency,
CNN's Ben Wedeman reported. An Israeli soldier was killed in Tulkarem on
Friday, the Israeli army said.

Palestinian security forces arrested a fourth man in connection with last
October's assassination of Israeli Tourism Minister Rehavam Zeevi, the
Palestinian Authority said Saturday, as Israel continued its actions against
Palestinian targets.

In the midst of the violence, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said on Friday he
was willing to negotiate a cease-fire even as violence in the region rages.
This represents a major shift from his previous demand for a seven-day
period of calm before any such talks could begin.

Sources at the Palestinian Authority identified the arrested man as Majdi
al-Rimawi, a member of Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP),
which claimed responsibility for Zeevi's death. The PFLP is a Palestinian
militant group that has committed numerous international terrorist attacks
and has conducted attacks against Israeli or moderate Arab targets,
according to the U.S. State Department.

Palestinian Authority sources also said al-Rimawi was the last suspect to be
arrested under the conditions set up by Israel to lift its restrictions on
Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. Arafat has been restricted, blockaded by
Israeli tanks, to Ramallah in the West Bank -- where his headquarters are --
for three months. Israel has said in the past, however, that suspects must
be arrested and face trial to meet conditions.

Israel had no immediate response, but officials there in the past have said
they would reassess the situation as reports of Palestinian actions are
confirmed.

Israeli forces on Saturday continued airstrikes and incursions against
Palestinian targets.

Also, a 15-year-old Palestinian girl died from a gunshot wound to the head
in the West Bank town of Bethlehem on Saturday, the Palestine Red Crescent
Society said.

Palestinian sources said that Israeli troops that were surrounding the
Dheishe refugee camp in Bethlehem had moved into that camp, calling to
residents to stay in their homes. The Israel Defense Force denied the report
that troops had entered the camp, but acknowledged surrounding it.

The Israeli security forces said that Israeli forces had surrounded the
Bethlehem camp and had exchanged fire with gunmen in the Bethlehem area, but
denied entering it. They said they were checking the report of the girl's
death.

Violence between Israel and the Palestinians has escalated sharply in recent
days since the current conflict began nearly 18 months ago. More than 100
Israelis and Palestinians, including numerous children, have died in the
past week.

Israel escalated its operations after a terror attack in a crowded Jerusalem
neighborhood killed nine and sniper attacks on military checkpoints last
weekend.

Friday was the bloodiest day in the current uprising, with more than 55
reported dead -- five teen-aged Israeli students killed in a terror attack
in Gaza and one Israeli soldier killed in Tulkarem, and 48 Palestinians
killed in subsequent strikes. Two Palestinian militants carrying out terror
attacks also died. The Israeli numbers come from Israeli army sources and
the Palestinian numbers come from Palestinian hospital and security sources.
(Full story)

Sharon's cease-fire comments come as U.S. Mideast envoy Anthony Zinni
prepares to head for the region. (Full story)

The administration's decision to send Zinni was a major policy shift for the
administration, which had previously said there was no point in sending him
to the region until the violence had subsided.

Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when
the Government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally
alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest
dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal,
well-meaning but without understanding.
                                    Justice Louis D. Brandeis

NEURONAUTIC INSTITUTE on-line: http://home.earthlink.net/~thew