-Caveat Lector-

hi from andrew - a professional folk musician, in scotland
I have to disagree with the idea that the Uk establishment loves ireland.
I have played at scottish folk music venues for over 20 years -
and every time irish songs get sung - special branch infiltrators, generally
present at every such gathering - start to disrupt proceedings with
threatening demeanour.
A folk club at kelso was recently thrown out of its venue at the red lion
pub because the manager was so busy trying to prevent anyone singing
anything irish on st patricks day that he couldn't efficiently operate the
bar at the same time. 17/3/02
I have played at a st patricks day gig where my irish friend was approached
by the ulster defence regiment and lectured about what songs not to sing -
as if we didn't already know - the card carrying policeman seemed then to
mysteriously be present where two fights started up.
If you have ever been to a musical gathering in scotland and play folk
music - you will have been harassed by mi5 or special branch psychobabble
about seperatism, independence and terrorism.
These guys usually play the skin drum or bodhran - a simple drum most often
played badly and out of time - whether deliberate or inept - it has the
effect of disrupting everybodys good time.
These guys are present evrywhere the public is being entertained by irish or
scottish folk music - just to intimidate the musicians and prevent them from
singing songs that restore a sense of pride and identity.
The MI5 plan to destroy celtic/irish/scottish culture was dug out of the
library of congress in 1980 approx under the freedom of information act by
scottish piper james macdonald reid.
The spooks don't want the celts to form any sense of identity,
and they beleive that our music does that -
hence the english ban on bagpipes at events and now the impending euro noise
legislation ban on the scottish bagpipe. -