-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: "thew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> on 3/22/02 11:53 AM, saba at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Well I imagine before this is over, the woman and man who owned the
> > dogs, who are jewish, will be screaming "anti semitism" and if they
> > appeal, the mate of the lesbian killed by the dogs will be charging
> > discrimination......
>
> Saba - I read this article, and I don¹t see any reference to jews or
> lesbians in it. Where do you get that information from?

The woman who was killed was the partner of Sharon Smith, and they were a
couple, and a lesbian couple, although that fact in and of itself was never
important in this trial, nor should it have been. Noel and Knoller tried to
make an issue out of this fact at one point, but it didn't fly. In fact, the
accused couple basically hung themselves, as the article states. I live in
the SF Bay, where this happened, and they had to move the trial because of
the seriously offensive things that the defense - even Knoller and Noel -
were saying after the charges were filed. It was ugly, thew, believe me, and
the defendants were lucky that the trial had been moved because of the bad
publicity (which had been entirely caused by themselves, I might add). It
had nothing to do with the fact that Whipple was a lesbian, and ultimately
it didn't come down to that.

And from day one of the charges filed, the defendants Noel and Knoller dug
their hole deeper and deeper and deeper. I'd almost feel that the 2nd degree
murder charge was too much, as it was a dog which got out of control and not
their own hands which killed Whipple, but, really, these two - Noel and
Knoller - just acted at every turn like they were above the whole thing,
until the end, and now we see images of Knoller "crying." She's crying for
herself, not Whipple, whom her dog killed. Too bad. She attacked the victim
in her words over and over, even before the trial. And Knoller's husband
Noel fought to keep the dog alive after the initial indictment. The dog had
already killed someone, and yet he fought to keep the dog alive.

I hate to seem this callous, but these two people did hoist themselves by
their own petard, as it were. And even their lawyer was horrible (and the
defendants were both lawyers themselves! they actually wanted to defend
themselves in the beginning!). The whole thing was pathetic, and they reaped
their empty harvest.

But, Jewish? I dunno ... although they haven't played that card yet, given
everything these people have done to defend themselves, it wouldn't surprise
me if they used that one in an appeal. But Noel is part of an Aryan
brotherhood, so I seriously doubt it. But they have done just about
everything else to put themselves where they are now.

The race/sexuality issue here is a non-issue, bottom line. If either one of
them tries to play the race card, it won't fly - not because of their races
or despite it, but because they are idiots.

- jt