-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemId=13127

}}}>Begin
Ruminations from the road

Alexander Cockburn - Creators Syndicate

04.11.02 - For those eagerly awaiting the uproar from this writer on the unspeakable
assaults on Palestinians on the West Bank, the carnage in the camps and the siege
of the Holy Church of the Nativity by Sharon's troops, a word of warning: This column
contains reflections on barbecue, a subject that arouses even more passion than
matters affecting the peoples of what used to be termed The Holy Land, so parental
discretion is advised. Onward.

Greer, S.C.: On the road again. This time the vehicle of choice is a 1985 Ford Escort
station wagon. Nothing much to look at, but in the mid-1980s, Ford put 4-cylinder
Japanese diesel engines into a few of those Escorts, and this is one of them: 50 or
60 miles to the gallon, tight gears and the feel of a sports car. I head off down the
road from Greenville S.C., towards Birmingham, Ala., and my cell phone rings. It's a
fellow from the New Republic who is eager to quiz me about some recent remarks of
mine about the Internet being awash with anti- Israeli material.

Amid the crackle and hiss of the ether and the roar of the interstate, it's hard to
hear
Frank through the no-hands speaker on my dashboard, but eventually, I catch his
purpose and ask him flatly, in more-or-less these words, "Frank, is your purpose to
accuse me of disseminating anti-Semitic libels, under the guise of relaying rumors on
the Internet?" Frank allows as how this is indeed his intent. I tell him that in my
opinion, the stories about Israeli spies, as categorized in a DEA report discussed by
John Sugg of the Daily Planet by Justin Raimondo on antiwar.com, on Fox News, by
the French newsletter Intelligence Online and various other news sources, including
the British Jane's, are legitimate topics of comment, as are the stories about anthrax
dissemination involving an anti-Arab researcher.

We go back and forth on such issues until the static gets too bad. Later, I retrieve a
magnanimous message from Frank saying that he is conferring with associates
whether to deal with me in the New Republic. So I assume that at some point,
Cockburn will be stigmatized yet again as the purveyor of anti- Semitic filth. It's all
pretty predictable. The viler the actions of Israel and the more rabid and
undiscriminating the assaults of their troops on Palestinians in the camps, the
shriller
become charges here that almost any discussion of Israel or of the Israel lobby here
is by its very nature anti-Semitic. The day there's a photo of an Israeli soldier
shooting a child next to the font in that Bethlehem church you'll find a big story in
the
New York Times about the troubling resurgence of anti-Semites, with plenty of
quotes from Abe Foxman of the ADL.

And on the topic of the NYT, have you noticed how that great paper has had a front-
page piece rubbishing the Catholic Church as a nest of molesters every day for
some time, especially since Sharon invaded Ramallah? The uncharitable could see
this as a pre-emptive strike against Papal criticism of Israel's actions, and also to
shift attention away from the blood-stained molestations of the adherents of one or
the other monotheistic religions.

I'm now in Birmingham, Ala. Kathy Johnson and Dave Gesspass, stalwart outposts
of the National Lawyers' Guild, take me to Dreamland, promoting it as homeport for
some of Alabama's best barbecue. The pork ribs are succulent, the sauce not
excessively piquant, nor too tomato-laden in flavor. I report as much to friends in the
Pacific northwest and receive an e-mailed warning from Dave Vest, member of the
region's hottest blues band, the Cannonballs. In earlier decades, Dave lived in the
South, and as readers of my column know, he toured with Tammy Wynette in the
early years. Dave warns that Cockburn "will observe a steady decline in the quality of
the barbecue as he travels west. In Texas they will feed him saddle leather with
ketchup on it. The Amoco station in Hattiesburg, Miss., will probably be his last
chance for a decent bag of boiled peanuts."

I return from Dreamland to my motel and watch CNN reports of preliminary plans for
Secretary of State Colin Powell's urgent trip to bring peace to the Middle East. His
itinerary makes Odysseus' journey home from Troy to Ithaca look like a model of
decisive brevity. From Morocco to Egypt to Spain, and maybe a chat with Arafat by
the following weekend. It all looks like a conflict of interest to me. Is Powell a
senior
official of the U.S. government or under contract to Travel and Leisure? I suppose
the plan is to give Israeli troops plenty of time to shoot more women and children,
plus a few journalists, and push ahead with the project of rooting out "terrorism."

I check into a motel outside Meridian, Miss., hometown of Jimmy Rodgers, and take
a look at e-traffic. The Trilateral Commission is in executive session. The
Washington Times runs a silly piece where the reporter pours scorn on those mostly
right-wing populists, who denounce the Commission as a "Secret World
Government." Without irony, the reporter notes that among those attending are 250
political and business "leaders" from around the world, with the United States fielding
a strong team, including Cheney, Rumsfeld, Powell, Greenspan and Paul Volcker.
Absent a few Chinese trillionaires too busy consulting their astrologers to attend,
this
sounds like World Government to me.

The thing the conspiratorialists miss is the disposability problem. In the old days,
world leaders, captains of industry, bankers and politicians died of heart attacks or
lung cancer not long after getting the gold watch for meritorious service. Or they went
to the penitentiary. In less decorous parts of the world, the hangman or the firing
squad performed the same purgative function as the First World's ribeye, gin martini
or the Marlboro packet.

The elites are living longer, and so the executive sessions of World Government --
the Trilateral, Bilderberg, Davos, Sun Valley, Aspen, Dubai, the Bohemian Grove --
proliferate. Henry Kissinger pockets his speaker's fee and expenses, and anyone
challenging the consensus of these peripatetic world governors gets cut off by the
IMF. The Palestinians don't count, and neither does barbecue.

© 2002 Creators Syndicate

End<{{{

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forwarded as information only; no automatic endorsement
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway