The Daily Reckoning PRESENTS: Christoph Amberger takes a
look at, among other things, the process of prophylactic
over-bidding on real estate known in Great Britain as
"gazumping."

THE PLAGUE OF THE BLACK DEBT
by J. Christoph Amberger

Grigori Aleksandrovich Potemkin, Russian field marshal
and favorite of Catherine II, played an instrumental
role in the annexation of the Crimea in 1783. Four years
later, as governor of this new province, he was also in
charge of Catherine's fabulous Crimean tour.

To impress upon the Empress of all the Russias how
competent an administrator he was, historical anecdote
claims he had sham villages ("Potemkin villages," as
they came to be known) built along her route.

My guess is that this illusion of prosperity very
closely resembled what is going on in America today.

If you happen to live in a metropolitan area in the
U.S., here's something I want you to do next weekend.
Grab the kids and the dog, warm up the car, and head out
of town.

Take a route you haven't driven in a year or more, and
chose a destination you fondly remember as being "rural"
the last time you went there.

I promise you, the insight you will gain into the New
America will be worth more than a library full of
financial magazines.

That's exactly what I did last weekend. My family and I
went to the southern tip of St. Mary's County in
Maryland, where friends are hanging on to a 400-acre
farm that hugs the shores of the Patuxent River for more
than a mile.

Back in the 1990s, before the kids came, we used to
visit several times a year. But the last time we went
was over two years ago. And, honestly, if the trip
didn't mostly involve driving in a straight line, I'd
have needed a map. Because the countryside was
unrecognizable. Where there used to be fields and
rolling pastures, there are now compact piles of
townhouses so fresh you can smell the vinyl siding from
a mile away. What used to be two-lane country roads are
now brand-spanking-new 6-lane highways that make Adolf
Hitler's original Autobahn - the backbone of East
Germany's hard-currency economy until 1989 - look like a
game trail.

Where there were vacant lots between strip malls and car
dealerships, billboards now promise that a new 200,000-
square-foot shopping center will be coming soon.
And where Mennonites once went rattling by in horse-
drawn buggies, tank-topped Bud Lite boobs in souped-up
pickup trucks now go screaming by. And these are pickup
trucks that will never carry any load heavier than a
riding mower or jet skis. Looking beneath the shifting
surface, the one thing that struck me most was the
radical change in the character of property ownership.

You see, ten or even just five years ago, families and
individuals actually owned most of the land and the
buildings. Accordingly, houses built in earlier
development booms tended to be small...mostly brick
ranchers and Cape Cods on quarter-acre lots.
If you were to add up the total home equity in any given
development today, you would probably arrive at a sum
sufficient to pay for the front doors and the catalog-
ordered resin-cast replica lawn jockeys.

Everything else beneath the cathedral ceilings and above
the manicured front lawn is debt.

Developers went into debt to build their satellite
cities of cookie-cutter tract mansions. Homebuyers -
lured by "no-money-down" deals - went into hock to buy
the houses that Debt built...and are now stuffing their
vinyl manors with stuff bought on store and credit-card
debt. They drive cars they "bought" with debt, and they
shop in businesses that are only in business because
they are still (just barely) able to service their ever-
increasing debt.

In fact, even debt itself has become an asset. Mortgage
lenders hawk debt like so many pork bellies...yet that
debt is secured by nothing more than paper gains in
property values...which are driven mainly by inflated
demand that is in turn powered by the availability of
further debt to larger groups of clients, with ever more
loosely defined creditworthiness.

Any cash gains in property values...as manifested in
large checks paid out to sellers at settlement...are
typically used to buy yet another high-priced ticket to
take on more debt (usually in the form of a substantial
down payment on another overvalued house).

What if this daisy chain of debt ever starts to unravel,
Japanese-style? A decade after that country's last real-
estate boom, Japanese banks have US$400 billion worth of
bad loans on their books. That's four times worse than
the S&L crisis in the States, if you account for the
different size of the economies.

And if the Enron debacle was all about the quicksand you
enter once you start obfuscating the fine line between
debt and assets, the potential for a far more
devastating crisis in the debt "industry" is explosive.
And probable.

According to JPMorgan, asset-backed security issuance
jumped to US$38.7 billion during March, a new all-time
record. Home equity deals are charging ahead, with a
record US$17.4 billion sold in March. Q1 home equity ABS
issuance of US$33.3 billion represents an increase of
62% year-over-year. And keep in mind that 2001's home
equity ABS issuance of US$80.2 billion already showed an
increase of 36% from 2000.

And home prices are supporting the trend. There are
counties in Maryland where prospective homebuyers are
advised by their own agents to bid upward of US$20,000
above the asking price. The same is going on in
Britain...where they call this prophylactic over-bidding
"gazumping."

In fact, American homeowners can't seem to convert
assets into further debt fast enough. Second
mortgages...borrowing against what pitiful equity has
been established...continue to convert inflated home
values into spending money.

As I write this, the Mortgage Bankers Association's
weekly index of purchase applications jumped 6% from the
previous week, and is up almost 13% over two weeks to a
level of 349.9. Factor in the substantial increase in
average mortgage size, and you can expect Q1 mortgage
originations to come in stronger than US$500 billion.
With refinancings down nationwide, net new mortgage debt
creation is significantly ahead of last year's record
pace. According to a Bloomberg study, year-to-date
domestic debt issuance stands at US$457 billion.

That's terrible news for those among us who are waiting
for the other shoe to drop...but music to the ears of
those who love making a buck on their fellow man's
folly.

Cheers,

Christoph Amberger
for The Daily Reckoning

http://www.agora-inc.com/

Bill Kalivas
Webmaster
www.historicist.com

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway