fwd

re difference in White House briefing on text vs audio - in text they left
out the reference to the ISI in a question to Condi Rice.
--- Begin Message ---
I have sent the following out to as many news desks & journalists & forums
as I can find, but if you find this as interesting as I do, please do the
same. I would grately appreciate it if you tell me anything, so I can
monitor the story (if it actually takes off)

***

Condoleezza Rice's press briefing is now online on the whitehouse web site
(www.whitehouse.gov) in both text and audio formats.

TEXT: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/05/20020516-13.html
AUDIO: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/05/20020516-13.a.ram

In the text version there is an interesting omission.

21 paragraphs from bottom:

Q Dr. Rice, are you aware of the reports at the time that -- was in
Washington on September 11th, and on September 10th, $100,000 was wired to
Pakistan to this group here in this area? While he was here meeting with you
or anybody in the administration?"

DR. RICE: I have not seen that report, and he was certainly not meeting with
me.

The two dashes are normally included in transcripts to indicate a pause, but
Dr Rice clealy understands the question that is being asked, hence her
reply.

This excerpt is at 31:20 in the audio. Here, it is clear that the journalist
asks "... at the time that ISI chief was in Washington".

ISI is the Pakistani intelligence service.

Its chief Lt-Gen Mahmud Ahmad

The question relates to this story, reported initially in the times of India

"India helped FBI trace ISI-terrorist links

by MANOJ JOSHI
'THE TIMES OF INDIA'

NEW DELHI: While the Pakistani Inter Services Public Relations claimed that
former ISI director-general Lt-Gen Mahmud Ahmad sought retirement after
being superseded on Monday, the truth is more shocking.

Top sources confirmed here on Tuesday, that the general lost his job because
of the "evidence" India produced to show his links to one of the suicide
bombers that wrecked the World Trade Centre. The US authorities sought his
removal after confirming the fact that $100,000 were wired to WTC hijacker
Mohammed Atta from Pakistan by Ahmad Umar Sheikh at the instance of Gen
Mahumd.

[continued at]

http://www.timesofindia.com/articleshow.asp?art_id=1454238160

The omission in the transcript is clearly intentional as the words "ISI
chief" are extremely audible, yet have been reported as simply dashes. Dr
Rice should certainly be aware of the allegations surrounding Mahmud Ahmad,
given her role as National Security Advisor, and her response simply serves
to brush off any further questions.

I find this omission very interesting. I believe that it warrants further
investigation which is why I am forwarding this for your attention.

***

<FONT COLOR="#000099">Take the Yahoo! Groups survey for a chance to win $1,000.
Your opinion is very important to us!
</FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/NOFBfD/uAJEAA/Ey.GAA/xYTolB/TM";><B>Click
Here!</B></A>