-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.newsday.com/

}}}>Begin
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-nybres042731219jun04.column

COMMENTARY

FBI Slaps Helping Hand

Jimmy Breslin

June 4, 2002

Sometime last fall, the FBI ran ads asking for people who could speak Middle
Eastern languages. This was at least a scandal. We had just been attacked by Arabs
and were going to wage war on an Arab country and hardly anybody on our side
could speak Arabic or any other Middle Eastern language. Around the United Nations
in New York everybody says that this bin Laden has the best translators anywhere
and the United States is comical. When Rumsfeld announces that we have captured
bin Laden's hard drives, he can't give you the names of the people who can read
them. He can't because most of the time there isn't anybody.

Forever, the FBI was afraid of anybody not milk-white Catholic. Fear of the least
swarthiness was only normal. There was a day in 1960 when Robert F. Kennedy was
named attorney general and asked immediately how many agents of color the FBI
had, John Edgar Hoover came out of the building, looked at his black chauffeur and
said, "Report upstairs and get a special agent's badge. You're not driving anymore."

He then could inform the attorney general's office that the FBI had at least one black
agent in the home office.

This time, the lack of people who speak the languages of the Middle East was worse.
It got people killed.

The day the ad asking for translators ran, I saw a woman I know at the corner
newsstand and I told her about it. She was born in Iran, raised on the Farsi language
and attended the University of Tehran.

"I'll look at it," she said. "I want to do something."

I saw her a couple of days later and she said that she was thinking of going to the
FBI office and volunteering as a translator. I told her that I thought she'd be
terrific.
She had kids to worry about, but she thought that she and her husband could figure
that out.

That she had been raised in Farsi was a tremendous asset. Besides Iranians, people
in the north of Afghanistan speak Farsi. She arrived in the morning at the FBI offices,
ready to volunteer for her country. First, an agent escorted her to an office, where
they let her sit. She got up and right away an agent wanted to know what she
wanted. She said she wanted to go to the ladies' room. The agent escorted her
there, waited in the hallway and escorted her back to the room.

She was told that her background had to be checked. That was fine. She has been
married forever to a guy who is in government law enforcement. The background
check took a couple of months.

She was called down there one day over some form or other and while she was
there she said to the watchful agent:

"Can I get coffee?"

"No."

"Then could you get me a cup of coffee?"

"That's not going to happen."

Good FBI language.

It was a couple of months later when I saw her on the street and asked her how it
was going and she said that she hadn't heard from their background check yet. Her
husband is known in the law business and she wouldn't even tell me the building she
went to for appointments with the FBI. We were talking on St. Patrick's Day.

You go a couple of more months and then one day she told me that they had asked
her to come down to the FBI office and take a language test.

"Couldn't they just talk to you and find out? Or don't they have anybody who can talk
the language to give a test?"

The test turned out to be long and demanding, in that the language being used on
the examination paper was a half notch removed from any Farsi she had used
growing up and attending college. It was a test in Farsi put out by some professor in
a college who never had been one foot off the North American continent.

They told her that she had not passed. This was like failing a test on Queens if you're
born in Elmhurst. But then a note came that they still wanted her to come to work.

Her troubles with the FBI exam were similar to those of Geoff D. Porter, who teaches
Middle Eastern studies at New York University. He writes, "The Arabic language test
- copyrighted in 1994 by the Defense Language institute - was solely in Modern
Standard Arabic ... this is the form used for official speeches and in the news media
in Arab countries - but almost never in conversation. It differs substantially from the
spoken varieties of Arabic in vocabulary, syntax and idiom - enough so that a non-
native speaker who learned only Modern Standard Arabic would not be able to
understand Arabic speakers talking to one another."

Now, it is at least seven months since she volunteered to help her country. It has
taken so long because the FBI is lazy and inefficient and the more you see of them at
work, the more you wonder how you can reorganize them.

Finally, she was asked to come down for another test, and when she walked into the
office, she knew things were different. No agent escorted her as she walked to the
room. The test consisted of sitting around and talking with Americans and people
who spoke genuine Farsi and when she left, she felt that maybe, perhaps, she would
get a chance to do volunteer work for a country that badly needs her abilities.

Copyright © 2002, Newsday, Inc.
End<{{{

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forwarded as information only; no automatic endorsement
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway