-Caveat Lector-

http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/2002/06/06_Greg_Palast.html

BuzzFlash Interviews Greg Palast

June 6, 2002

A BUZZFLASH INTERVIEW WITH GREG PALAST, IN WHICH HE REVEALS THE LETTER HE
RECEIVED FROM KATHERINE HARRIS, CRUELLA HERSELF

Three times is the charm. This is BuzzFlash's third interview with Greg
Palast (see http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/archives.html for prior
BuzzFlash interviews.)

* * *

GREG PALAST: I just got a letter from Katherine Harris - Cruella herself.
Maybe she read my book right? I wonder if she read my entire book or simply
looked at the summary in Harper's, because I think she should read the
entire thing. I want to make sure we have all her titles correct. She's not
just the Secretary of State. Let's not forget that she was campaign
chairwoman for the Bush for President Campaign. She's never complained that
there might be a bit of bias in how she handled the purging of the Florida
voter registration rolls which she was in charge of. Katherine Harris wrote
that "Mr. Palast erroneously claims that my predecessor and I removed lawful
voters from the Florida registration rolls when in fact, the legislature
mandated that we remove these people." Well, yes, but Katherine Harris wrote
the law, and she implemented it.

The law says remove ex-felons. It doesn't say to remove a bunch of innocent
black people. Excuse me -- read the law again. It says ex-felons, not people
who are innocent, but may vote for Al Gore.

I mean, whether Katherine Harris likes it or not, it is not a felony to want
to vote for Al Gore. Being a Democrat or being an African-American is not,
by itself -- it puts one under suspicion, I grant -- but it's not the final
word in whether someone is, in fact, a criminal. If they vote for Al Gore
more than once, that's criminal.

Katherine Harris said that I have maniacally partisan conclusions, which
assumes that I voted for Al Gore, and I did not. Whereas, she is not
maniacally partisan. She's simply chairwoman of George Bush's campaign who
erased 57,000 voters who just happened to be African-Americans and others
who just happen to vote Democrat.

BUZZFLASH: That's hilarious.

GREG PALAST: Katherine keeps citing that bastion of truth, the Palm Beach
Post. According to the Palm Beach Post, there were felons that voted, and
the Post knows that felons voted, and Katherine "knows" that they voted for
Al Gore. I should note that, if this is true -- and she's Secretary of State
and has the name of someone who voted who shouldn't have voted -- then how
come she hasn't had them arrested? That's her job. Why not have the police
go have them arrested. They have committed a felony.

BUZZFLASH: It sounds like she needs a job description.

GREG PALAST: Finally, Katherine Harris responded to me. She hasn't in the
past. I'm not saying that she's a coward. I am saying that she's a candidate
for Congress.

Here is what she said, "a study conducted by the Palm Beach Post found that
quote 'thousands of felons voted in the presidential election. Almost
certainly in the election to favor former Vice President Gore.'" Now I've
been waiting for the Palm Beach Post to provide this list of felons that
voted. I've asked them, and they have failed to provide me this list. I
would like to find these guys, because I'd be more than happy to turn over
the list to the Attorney General. And I'll take my camera with me, and go to
people's homes, and have them arrested, because they've committed crimes.
They voted for Al Gore, and they're ex-felons who do not have a right to
vote. They've committed a crime. And if the Palm Beach Post has this
information, I think they ought to make it public. The Palm Beach Post is
claiming that felons voted for Al Gore, but I couldn't get them to name one.
And if there were thousands, I mean why can't they give me a name, an
address and a Social Security number of one person?

It was the Palm Beach Post that did this cover-up job for Katherine Harris.
They have not done journalism. They've done hack, cheap garbage crap because
it is completely inexcusable to say that someone has committed a crime when
they're only accusing people of crimes. I mean they have no evidence. They
did exactly what she did, which is to say the Palm Beach Post has yet to
name names or provide any evidence. They've not proven that criminals have
voted. And if they can prove it, let's go arrest that criminal. And if it's
not true, let's sue the Palm Beach Post for defamation.

It's no different than Joe McCarthy standing up and saying I have a list of
communists in the State Department than the Palm Beach Post saying I have a
list of voters, but we can't tell you who they are. Give me a break. That's
not journalism. That's garbage.

BUZZFLASH: On another subject, I came across a BBC news story that
"strangely enough" didn't get too much press here in the U.S. After the
Venezuelan coup was suppressed earlier this year and Mr. Hugo Chavez was put
back into power, Chavez claimed that there were, in fact, incursions into
his country's airspace by foreign vessels. Let me quote to you from the BBC
story from Tuesday, May 14th. "Mr. Chavez has said he has radar images
showing a foreign military vessel, a plane and a helicopter violating the
country's waters and airspace." Do you know anything about this? Chavez
seems to suggest that this, along with other evidence, that this shows the
Bush administration's involvement behind the coup to overthrow Chavez and
put in Pedro Carmona.

GREG PALAST: I certainly know about that accusation because President Chavez
told it to me in Caracas in his office. I was meeting with him after he was
returned by the kidnappers following the Keystone Cops coup d'etat against
him, which almost succeeded and almost killed him, by the way, so I don't
want to make too much light of it. Only in retrospect can we laugh about it.
But we do know what was not reported in the U.S. as usual.

In particular, there was a report straight out of the United States State
Department that Hugo Chavez, on April 12th, had resigned as President of
Venezuela. This is a complete fabrication, lie, garbage, nonsense. And the
New York Times, the Los Angeles Times -- every major paper in the United
States ran it. And by the way, PBS ran it as a stone-cold fact. And the
entire factoid -- the entire garbage nonsense of this was nothing better
than a false press release from the U.S. State Department. Pure propoganda.

There was no evidence of such a resignation. I went to the Venezuelan
embassy and spent hours on the phone on diplomatic lines so I could get to
members of Chavez' cabinet, members of the military, people inside, who said
he is not resigning. the New York Times ran an apology for having
editorialized in favor of the coup d'etat against an elected president.

I don't care if they have stupid, totalitarian tendencies at the New York
Times. They're allowed to be against democracy. My big beef with the New
York Times was that they didn't apologize for running an absolute stone-cold
piece of crap propaganda lie. And the lies were repeated on "60 Minutes."

"60 Minutes" ran a report basically saying Hugo Chavez is unpopular. He's a
dictator. He's a communist. And he's a nut. And therefore, the coup d'etat
was justified. The reason why there was this factoid about Chavez resigning
was it paved the way for the State Department to, in fact, enforce a coup
d'etat by saying, well, there's no president there. Therefore, we can come
out in favor of the guys who took over.

Venezuela is the example that says that the entire free market globalization
is garbage. Argentina is on its knees and all of Latin America is
economically busted except for one country -- Venezuela. And no matter how
much they try to scare away investors and spook them into this economy,
Venezuela has the strongest economy in Latin America because of Hugo Chavez.

Because what he did was he did the old John Kennedy-Franklin Roosevelt
program. He increased the minimum wage. He had a housing program for the
poor. He's given land away and created social programs in part funded by the
move to double the royalties paid by U.S. oil companies. And, you know,
Exxon Corporation is the number-one oil producer in Venezuela. Going after
Exxon, which, after Enron, is one of the biggest donors to George Bush's
political career, is not a good way to keep alive. So Chavez was given the
information that the coup was coming, and that's how he saved himself. His
first line of defense was just simply to surround the presidential palace
with tanks to keep out any attack on Mira Flores, the Venezuelan White House
if you will.

The tank commander who was supposed to protect him turned out to be a
traitor, so there were no tanks to protect him. So Chavez agreed to his
so-called arrest. He was kidnapped. And Chavez agreed, as long as they let
everyone else in his cabinet that was inside the palace with him go.

Well the citizenry and the poor marched on Mira Flores, and basically
flooded the streets. What I also found, which no one else had reported, was
that there were secret corridors and passageways into Mira Flores, and the
Chavistas - Chavez' supporters - had placed hundreds of loyal troops to
Chavez in those corridors. Then this toy president came in who was the head
of the Chamber of Commerce and declared himself President of Venezuela.

BUZZFLASH: Explain how Chavez survived the coup and later reclaimed his
presidency.

GREG PALAST: You should have seen this guy, Pedro Carmona, who led the coup.
I have pictures of it. He decked himself out in ribbons and braids, and
declared himself president in a fake inauguration. How do you name yourself
president?

He needed someone to sign his official inauguration papers. So then the head
of the bankers' association signed the document saying that he endorsed this
guy as president. It's only humorous, like I say, because, in the end,
Chavez returned alive. What the toy president didn't know is that there were
all these troops right under his bottom. And then Carmona got the call
saying you're surrounded outside by a million screaming poor people who'll
rip your head off, and we have F-14s who are ready to turn Mira Flores into
rubble. And third, you've got Chavez' troops a couple feet away from you,
who are ready to walk through the door and undo your inauguration. So the
toy president took off the braids and ribbons, and the costume party was
over, and surrendered.

BUZZFLASH: Almost as soon as it started. What's terrifying Greg is that not
only was the Bush Administration tied to the coup, but the American
corporate media complex was nothing more than a voice box for the Bush
administration.

GREG PALAST: As long as the New York Times will reprint the State Department
stuff as the truth, and not even say, you know, "according to the State
Department" or "the State Department believes Hugo Chavez resigned" or "the
State Department believes that . . ." I mean, it's amazing.

The media said Chavez is unpopular. Where'd they get this? In fact, not only
did they say he was unpopular, but they put out as a fact that his
popularity dropped to 30 percent. Where's the 30 percent figure? Who did you
get that from? You know what it was? It was the leaders of the coup. The
leaders of the coup owned the media, literally, in Venezuela. And they
issued these statements. Well, the truth is that there's only one poll that
counts. It's called a presidential election. I know that George Bush doesn't
have much faith in a presidential election, but Chavez won 58 percent of the
vote recently. And I got to tell you -- no one doubts that he won 58 percent
of the vote, because the opposition controls the electoral machinery.

Now there was a reporter who did bring that up to the White House: "How can
you say he's undemocratic when he was elected by a majority of the people?"
And the White House response is quite telling. The White House response was
just because someone wins a majority of the vote doesn't make their
government legitimate. Which is, of course, what George Bush would say. If
you have a majority of the rich, white people, that's what makes your
government legitimate.

Pedro Carmona, the guy who led the coup, was treated very kindly by Chavez.
Almost no one was arrested who aided in the coup. Let's not forget that
sixty people died in this takeover. The leader of the coup, Carmona was
simply placed under house arrest, so he had to stay, most of the time, in
his high-class apartment building. And he was even allowed, as a member of
the National Assembly, to come and vote. He'd just have to go back and forth
from his house.

BUZZFLASH: Is he still under house arrest?

GREG PALAST: He's still under house arrest, but, you know, he basically has
a nice little life. (Since the BuzzFlash interview with Palast, Pedro
Carmona has been granted asylum and is now in Columbia.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020529/ap_wo_en_ge/colom
bia_venezuelan_coup_leader_3 )

He just is not allowed to go to Miami like these guys do, and get their
instructions. So I asked this guy Carmona, "What makes you think you could
just name yourself president?"

He says, "I was asked to be president by civil society." And by the way,
this guy was an oil company executive. It seems to the rich of Venezuela,
and to the rich in the United States, civil society means the oil companies,
the banking association, and the U.S. Embassy, are the ones who should
choose a president.

Oh, and, by the way, the American Ambassador Shapiro ran down to Mira Flores
after the coup and had his picture taken with the coup leader, Mr. Pedro
Carmona himself. Then, the U.S. had the nerve to say we weren't endorsing
the coup. Since when does the United States ambassador go running off within
24 hours of a democratically-elected president's kidnapping, and has his
picture taken with the kidnappers? I mean, why didn't Shapiro just go off
and meet with the guys who killed Danny Pearl? It would have been about as
appropriate.

BUZZFLASH: Some American media claimed that Chavez was a communist.

GREG PALAST: Chavez happens to be very much an anti-marxist. Despite the
goofy reports I've seen in the U.S. press, he actually despises the
Columbian guerrillas. His programs are very reformist. If John Kennedy were
still president, he would be a Chavista, because Chavez is just for simple
things like land reform, a fair division of resources with the foreign
companies, supporting social services. But in today's world, that's
considered radical and does not meet the "60 Minutes" test of pleasing the
State Department.

BUZZFLASH: Let's go back to Mr. Chavez's claims of the foreign military
vessel?

GREG PALAST: It wasn't the Ugandan Navy there. I haven't seen the radar
images and I don't have the sophistication to decode the images. But we do
know that there was just violation of the airspace. And I have to say the
important thing is that we have gotten no denial of any of these charges
from the U.S. State Department.

We've gotten from Colin Powell this weird generalized statement that we
would never instigate nor support a coup d'etat against an elected
government. But he also didn't say the U.S. did not send in guys to help the
coup leaders. He didn't say we didn't send warships. And he certainly can't
deny the pictures of the U.S. ambassador with the coup leaders, because it's
a photograph. So then I asked the leader of the coup what are you doing with
the U.S. ambassador?

BUZZFLASH: What did he say?

GREG PALAST: He said, well, it was just an informational meeting. A U.S.
ambassador does not meet with the leaders of a coup d'etat while the real
president is being held captive for information purposes. Why didn't
Chavez's phone line work? Come on. The U.S. State Department effectively
endorsed the coup.

BUZZFLASH: Another thing that I wanted to ask you about was the Dan Rather
interview on the same news program you work for, BBC's Newsnight. (See:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/bush/story/0,7369,717097,00.html)

GREG PALAST: Mr. Rather was on the show, but I didn't interview him. I was
tempted to try to bite his hair -- I'm joking. The one thing that is
frightening is Dan Rather out of makeup, because he has really aged. But
then, of course, so have I.

BUZZFLASH: But this is what's interesting is that here's this very powerful
American journalist -- broadcaster who said in the interview, and I'm
quoting: "It is an obscene comparison -- you know, I'm not sure I like it --
but, you know, there was a time in South Africa that people would put
flaming tires around people's necks if they dissented."

And Dan Rather is referring to how stifling it was for anyone, including
him, to talk or criticize or ask tough questions about the Bush
administration after September 11th. What's your comment about that? It is
deeply strange that he is saying that not on American TV, but over in
England.

GREG PALAST: The producer of my program says, well, why don't we ask Dan
Rather to come on and talk about this kind of unbelievable influence of the
U.S. government on Hollywood. So he really started out with this stuff about
how Hollywood has been really changing all its films to go along with
whatever the Defense Department wants. Like "Black Hawk Down," for example.
The Defense Department changed something on every single page of the script
apparently.

The producers said we'd like to interview Dan Rather. And I said he'll never
agree to talk. But apparently he was in kind of a confessional mode here.
Maybe he knows about my stuff that you can say whatever the hell you want on
BBC Television and it will never get back to America. His comments somehow
never made it back across the Atlantic.

BUZZFLASH: It's almost like American actors who do commercials in Japan and
other places.

GREG PALAST: Right, right, because no one has to worry about it, because you
can say anything. So suddenly it was like this big confessional moment.

He's sitting there talking about being part of the propaganda arm of the
U.S. State Department. There's that line from Shakespeare in Hamlet --
"words without deeds never to heaven go." And my view is, okay, Dan, you've
just confessed. But, you know, you run a news program, Dan.

We can't say you're off the hook with three Hail Marys. What you have to do
now is go back to your network and say: no, I'm not going to read this crap
anymore. This guy just sits there and reads off a teleprompter. In Britain,
we don't call people like Dan Rather journalists, he's what people call a
news reader. That's all he is. He's an actor who reads off a teleprompter,
and that's what he's doing. Wouldn't it be refreshing if Dan Rather said
"They want me to say the following words. They want me to tell you that Hugo
Chavez is a dictator and he resigned. And I got to tell you -- I've checked
this out. This is complete baloney. This is complete nonsense baloney, and
I'm not gonna read this garbage to you. I'm gonna tell you the truth. I'm
switching over to Greg Palast's report on the BBC right now."

BUZZFLASH: This is getting to be a little bit of an old story of journalists
confessing they didn't do their job after the fact. I know several
journalists said that after the Gulf War, in retrospect, they didn't really
do a good job reporting on the war. They weren't critical enough. After the
war, journalists were shown the pictures of the Iraqi Army in retreat. And
the images show miles upon miles of cars and motorcycles and Volkswagen bugs
in retreat. And it makes you question whether it was even an army at all.

GREG PALAST: During the Gulf War, you had all these wonderful CNN pictures
because the Defense Department gives CNN these films from the cruise
missiles And we get to see tick, tick, tick, tick - kaboom. And it's all
these glorious pictures where we accurately pinpoint and blow up some ammo
dump or something, or some obvious military target. What you didn't get is
any pictures of carpet bombing of civilian centers. Or the images of the rag
tag army we were carpet bombing in retreat. Then the journalists said, gee,
we didn't cover it correctly. But then they do it again, because they want
those images. They want the tick, tick, tick, kaboom.

What happens is that American journalists who are critical get cut off. If
you give a real report, they'll never let you interview Colin Powell. And
Colin Powell's handlers will say Dan Rather made that statement about not
all the bombs were as smart as we said they were. Then Dan Rather doesn't
get an interview.

I got to tell you right now on BBC, the Prime Minister will not speak to me.
No member of the Cabinet will speak to me on camera. Now, if that happened
to me in the U.S.A., I would simply be fired. They'd say well, we can't use
this guy. At least the BBC says, well, we can't let the Prime Minister tell
us who to hire and fire, you know?

I don't want to make it glorious, because I get a lot of crap at the BBC. I
think they probably ask "What do we do with Greg?' He can't do an interview
with the Prime Minister or any of these Cabinet members."

BUZZFLASH: Let me give another Dan Rather quote from the interview. "It's
unpatriotic not to stand up, look them in the eye, and ask the questions
they don't want to hear -- they being those who have the ultimate
responsibility -- of sending our sons and daughters, our husbands, wives,
our blood to face death."

GREG PALAST: He saw the blinding light. This isn't just we could have done
it better. But it's as if his entire outlook of news coverage should change.
Well, it doesn't make him a good guy. It makes him an idiot. It makes him a
hypocrite in his job in where he is a fourth-rate actor pretending to be a
journalist

I mean, to me, that's pathetic and I give him no points for confessing on my
program simply because I know that he goes back the next day to read the
same junk -- so Dan Rather is feeling better about himself because he's
gotten this off his chest. But we're still getting the propaganda nonsense.
Why doesn't he stand up and say I won't do it?

BUZZFLASH: There's a story of a Russian journalist who was essentially a
news reader. And during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, the Soviet
reporter condemned the invasion on the air live. And the Soviet Union put
him in a mental institution and said, well, he was sick. The thought of an
American journalist being that openly critical would just be hard to
imagine.

GREG PALAST: Walter Cronkite knew he was retiring when he became very
critical of Vietnam. Pretty much he had said he was going to retire, but he
was still on the air. Cronkite got on television, and then began raising
doubts about the war in Vietnam, which was a very powerful thing. I'll never
forget this. But it's not just that we need their opinion. See, here's the
thing. I need more than Rather's opinion. I need him to report the news.
Don't tell me gee, we did it wrong, and then the next day, "60 Minutes," his
old program, you know, tells lies about the coup in Venezuela.

BUZZFLASH: Greg, thank you so much for your time.

GREG PALAST: You got it. I'm happy to clarify. You guys are the best. You're
very welcome.