-Caveat Lector-

From: Mike Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Some persons have mailed me saying that IODIZED SALT would properly
>>fill up the THYROID with IODINE and prevent the collection of RADIOACTIVE
>>IODINE 131.   Evidently this is not the case.

It is definitely not the case.  One would succumb to sodium poisoning if one tried to get enough iodine via table salt to be effective against radioactive iodine iosotopes

>>For some reason IODINE has been added to table salt for the last 50 years
>>probably relating to nuclear testing in the western states.

[sigh]

It would be nice if people would do a modicum of research before posting bullshit like this...

If one does not get enough iodine in one's diet the thyroid gland can become underactive, and one develops a goiter, an enlarged thyroid gland, which results from the remaining active portion of the thyroid gland -- a butterfly-shaped gland in the front of the neck -- trying to take up the slack of the inactive portion of the gland...

Most people get enough iodine via diet (sans iodized salt), *IF* they live in coastal areas; even if they don't eat fish, there is enough iodine in the sea that it is both vaporized in the air and is in the ground, so people both breath in trace amounts of iodine and gain iodine via eating crops grown in coastal areas...

The term 'coastal area' doesn't mean the area just immediate adjacent to saltwater, but for some hundreds of miles inland...

But people who lived in the middle of the continent, far away from any body of saltwater, tended to suffer from goiterism before the introduction of iodized salt.  If people living in the midwest and mountain states somehow were able to eat sea fish (say, canned sardines, canned tuna, canned shrimp, etc.), then they would have sufficient iodine in their diet to avoid goiterism...

But the common diet of American midwesterners and mountain-state residents of the early 20th century rarely included sufficient amounts of sea fish, even of the canned variety.  So it was decided that an easy way to avoid having children in those geographic areas developing goiterism was to introduce iodine into table salt.  Iodine was introduced into table salt in the late 30s and early 40s, long before nuclear bombs and radioactivity entered the picture.

And let me strongly reiterate -- one would die of sodium poisoning if one tried to get enough iodine to protect the thyroid gland via table salt alone...

>>But it doesnt
>>appear that table salt with IODINE would be sufficient to insulate the
>>THRYOID GLAND from RADIOACTIVE IODINE 131.

See my comment above; one would die of sodium poisoning if one tried to get enough iodine via table salt for this purpose...

June

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>