--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

Hello folks,

I am writing this from a Ruckus Society Tech Training gathering in
Northern California.  I thought I'd post some interesting information
have learned from various sessions here at camp.  Anyone who uses a
computer for email, (or for anything, really) will probably find
these
things very interesting...

Please read important #3 if that is all you have time for.

1. A very nice (sarcasm) company by the name of Booz-Allen is the # 9
company on the top 100 list of federal gov't contract recipients.
They
make most of their money from the defense department, like all the
top
ten gov't contract recipients.  Here's the important information:
They have developed a program named "carnivore" the gov't is
currently
using.  It is installed at major routing points in the net and at
major
Internet Service Providers computers. It "watc hes" all the
traffic in and out of a router or through an ISP.  In short, it
follows
people around the web and "records" where they go...especially if
they
go to certain "target" sites.  This is happening.  Files are being
created, all with the purpose of "fighting terrorism."

2.  Booz-Allen is engaged in the creation of a program called "Magic
Lantern." This program is designed to figure out people's passwords
so
the military can have access to *ALL* email accounts...for the
purpose
of fighting terrorism.  Magic Lantern insidiously will install
a "virus" on your computer so that when you next log in to your email
using a password, Magic Lantern sends a copy of the password to a
Military computer, and they can then access your email.  This is all
stuff I got to read in the Washington Technology (a magazine devoted
celebrating the newest technological contracts awarded on Capitol
Hill).
It was H IGHLY recomended to me that those of us that use our email
engage in social justice work be aware of these realities and change
our passwords VERY Frequently, making sure to include numbers in our
passwords.

******important*********

3. Yahoogroups recently cut off the service of several antiwar and
pro-
palestinian list servs in the interest of "national security."  All
the
archives, and especially ALL MEMBER INFORMATION for these groups was
transferred over to the FBI.  This is not a rumor or a joke.  Just
three weeks ago, yahoogroups also SOLD all of our emails to
spammers.
We should be getting list serv spam in the near future.  I was
advised
by the system administrator of riseup.net and resist.net and a system
administrator of tao.ca that we move our list serv over to an
activist
friendly server like theirs.  It is free, and they will always fight
any requests from the feds to access ou r membership list, or
archives.

I would like to very seriously suggest this.

I do not personally have a problem with the feds reading anything on
this list serv, but I do not like to think that we are using a
service
that has shut down other groups because of their anti-war content.

This camp has been highly informative about tech stuff.  It has also
opened
my eyes to how protected I am in the Midwest.  The bulk of
surveillance and federal harassment is happening on both coasts, in
San
Fran, Seattle and in DC and NY.  It shocked me to learn just how much
is happening, and
not only to the "biggies" in Direct Action like Ruckus.
I'd also like to suggest if anyone on the list has an email account
through a university, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. that you move it to a much
more secure location, like:

www.people-link.org
riseup.net
p rotest.net
tao.net
resist.net

I keep my university account open for crappy stuff, and use my people-
link account for all personal, "activist," or other private
communication.

For those of you who do not know who I am, I am NOT a conspiracy
theorist who looks for federal agents over my shoulder.  I am a
reclaiming witch and anti-corporate globalisation activist living
outside of chicago.  I got the above information from very reputable
sources who have personally experienced either being shut down or
surveilled by the feds.

Just thought I'd offer this info to our community.

    WHEN SPIDERS UNITE, THEY CAN TIE DOWN A LION  -- Ethiopian Proverb

Please note that this eMail, and the contents thereof, is subject to
the standard Sasol eMail disclaimer which may be found at:
http://www.sasol.com/disclaimer.htm

If you cannot access the disclaimer through the URL attached and
you wish to receive a copy thereof please send an eMail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] You will receive the disclaimer by return eMail.