-Caveat Lector- First, I appreciate your friendly response to what was my own "jumping the gun," assuming that you didn't have more things to say beyond your initial response. I think you would agree with me that at this point in time, a significant number of Jews have indeed got past the guardians at the gate and now walk the corridors of wealth and power. If this is true, and one also agrees that Jews do share a common culture to some extent--and also a rather unique and strong bond in light of past persecutions of Jews as a people--I would conclude that there is a de facto network of powerful and wealthy Jews.

As you say, it was generally only their overt Jewish-ness that individual Jews had to discard. This implies that there are other, more covert, aspects of Jewish-ness that they retained. I don't mean this to sound sinister; I am just trying to say that it would be a natural thing for such successful Jews to continue to feel a unique bond--and to share some common culturally- or religiously-based goals and beliefs--with their fellow Jews.

To that extent, I do feel that there is in fact a powerful network of Jews in America. To use less loaded terms, I believe that there are a number of wealthy and powerful Jews in our society who sometimes agree on and work towards common goals (and, of course, they also disagree on many issues, have conflicts and battles within their community, and ally with or oppose various non-Jewish groups at various times).

The key question is, What kinds of common goals do Jews pursue? I honestly don't know. While there are certainly Jews who are committed to Palestinian human rights and who oppose Israeli government policies, I think it's safe to say that a majority of American Jews would like to see a pro-Israeli foreign policy. Beyond that, I don't really know what if any commonalties exist.

I would suggest that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. In other words, I think Jewish power does exist and that it goes beyond, for example, the occasional Jewish business leader getting the child of a Jewish friends an internship, but that it falls far short of the comic-book-like scenario wherein all Jews provide robot-like obedience to the dictates of some central Jewish Command Center.

I think that Jews in America as a whole (if there really is such a thing) shared a culture of hard work and education – and were close enough to being white to be able to squeeze past the guardians at the gate. I also , in my inimitable manner, pointed out that I don't think there is a powerful good ol’ boys network of Jewish wealth. Quite the opposite – the corridors of wealth and power were so closed to Jews, that they had to divest themselves of overt Jewish-ness, so they could play the game with the big boys. Because to the big boys where you come from matters a little less than how big your wallet is.

To say you want to examine Jewish power like you would examine the CIA, the freemasons, or big oil, is to perpetuate the very myth that you claim to deny accepting – that being Jewish grants you entrance into some organized group that shares goals ideas methods business contacts and a plan of action – in other words a cabal or conspiracy. I donut think it exists.

Al Hidell
PARANOIA: The Conspiracy Reader
Box 1041
Providence, RI 02901-1041
http://www.paranoiamagazine.com
<A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>