-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.middleeast.org/launch/redirect.cgi?num=36
&location=http://www.forward.com/issues/2002/02.07.12/news7.html

JULY 12, 2002
| current issue | back issues | subscribe |

Chicago ZOA Chapter Honors Televangelist Robertson

By ALANA NEWHOUSE
FORWARD CORRESPONDENT

In another sign of the growing closeness between Jewish and Evangelical Christian
groups, a regional branch
of the Zionist Organization of America has decided to honor televangelist Pat
Robertson at its annual Salute
to Israel Dinner next week.

The Chicago chapter of the ZOA selected Robertson for its State of Israel Friendship
Award because of the
decidedly pro-Israel slant of his Christian Broadcasting Network and his television
show, "The 700 Club," as
well as Robertson's personal support for Israel at a time when the Jewish state has
been isolated in world
opinion.

"We wanted to give our thanks to one of our Christian friends," said the Chicago
chapter's executive
director, A. Yami Isaacs. "We chose Dr. Robertson, based primarily on 'The 700 Club'
and its presentation of
the situation in Israel, and on his benevolent work in Israel."

Board member Judi Duckler, who along with her husband Harold will also be honored at
the dinner July 14,
concurred. "Their motives are maybe not 100% like ours, but they want to help Israel,"
she said of
Robertson and his followers.

Although Robertson has received tributes from Christian-Jewish interfaith groups, as
well as from the State
of Israel, this may be the first award that the minister has received from an American
Jewish organization,
according to Christian Broadcasting Network spokeswoman Angell Watts. "He considers
this a great honor,"
she said.

ZOA representatives said they were undisturbed by the more controversial aspects of
Robertson's politics
and theology, which views the return of the Jews to Israel as a necessary precursor to
the resurrection of
Jesus — ushering in a messianic age that will also include the conversion of 144,000
Jews to Christianity.

Robertson ruffled Jewish feathers in 1991 with the publication of "The New World
Order," a book arguing
that a conspiracy exists to control the world, led by Jewish banking families such as
the Rothschilds and
Warburgs. In the mid-1990s, Jewish anti-missionary groups criticized Robertson for
featuring "Hebrew
Christian" missionaries and converts on his network, and broadcasting missionary
messages into Israel from a
station in southern Lebanon.

"There's a pragmatism and day-to-day living that we're more concerned with," Isaacs
said. "I would prefer to
look at the practical, and right now, we need to get support for Israel."

As examples of this support, Isaacs cited the network's treatment of the standoff last
spring at the Church of
the Nativity in Bethlehem — "he was one of the first to represent it as a hostage
situation," Isaacs said — as
well as the unceasing Christian tourism to Israel at a time when many Jewish groups
have canceled their
trips.

But some people disagreed with the Chicago group's decision.

"We wouldn't do it," said the national director of the Anti-Defamation League, Abraham
Foxman. "He's not
deserving, but I have no objections to other groups honoring him."

In April, Foxman sent Robertson a letter protesting the network's broadcast of an
Easter cartoon "saturated
with sinister caricatures of Jews reminiscent of the anti-Semitic stereotypes
promulgated only in the darkest
periods of Christianity." In a letter written in reply, Robertson described Foxman as
the Democratic Party's
"principal secret agent" whose "focus is not the defense of worldwide Jewry, but the
domestic political
agenda of the Democratic Party."

The assistant executive director of Americans for Peace Now, Lewis Roth, argued that
the evangelical
practice of targeting Jews for conversion to Christianity cannot be swept under the
rug.

"While it's all well and good to make common cause over Israel, Jewish groups have to
understand that their
motivations for being engaged in this issue are not the same as our community's — and,
in some cases, run
exactly opposite to ours," Roth said.

Curiously, the ZOA finds itself on the other end of the sort of critique that it
normally lobs at other
organizations. In 1996, it excoriated the ADL for honoring New York Times columnist
Thomas Friedman.

Isaacs thinks that was a different case entirely. "Tom Friedman presented a Saudi
peace plan which
threatened Israeli security," he said, citing a more recent example of Friedman's
writing than those cited by
ZOA six years ago. "The Armageddon, which will come in thousands of years, I don't
think will affect Israel
now. What Friedman proposed would."

The national president of the ZOA, Morton Klein, said that he was not personally aware
of Robertson's
missionary work, and had not read or heard about the controversial ideas in his book
"The New World Order."

"We are against missionary work," said Klein, adding that it was not reason enough to
deny Robertson an
award. "I love my wife and there are many issues on which we disagree. I like Pat
Robertson, but there are
many issues that we may not agree on," he said.

Klein disputed the notion that in exchange for their support of Israel, Jews would be
expected to support the
social agenda of the Evangelical Christian community.

"No Christian leader — and I talk to almost all of them — has ever asked me, 'If I
speak out in favor of Israel,
will you support me on this?'" Klein said. "Never."

"If a social issue comes up on which we don't agree with Robertson, we'll raise it
then," Isaacs said. "It's not a
joining of forces, we're not becoming blood brothers. For me, it's a very narrow line
here: Support for Israel,
which we need now."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; no automatic endorsement
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of information for
non-profit research and
educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway