-Caveat Lector-

Monday, 29 July, 2002, 10:11 GMT 11:11 UK
Does an MP's sexuality matter?

The shadow foreign affairs minister, Alan Duncan, has become the most senior
sitting Conservative MP to publicly declare that he is gay.
Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith has reportedly welcomed and supported Mr
Duncan's decision to reveal his sexuality.
In an interview with the Times, Mr Duncan said that he had never kept his
sexuality from friends and colleagues.
However, he now felt that as a politician it was important for him to be
honest with the public.
Some Labour MPs are openly gay but Tory MPs who have been outed in the past
have resigned or lost their seats.
Do you agree with Alan Duncan's decision? Will it encourage political
parties to become more inclusive and socially liberal?

The cynic in me thinks that the timing of Alan Duncan's revelation has more
to do with the struggle within the party

Jeff Monk, UK
As a gay male I feel it is important that we have some 'normalisation' of
being gay, having leading figures come out is one way of this being
achieved. I would hope this will also mean that the Tories review their
position with regards to Section 28 and same sex adoption to show they truly
are a modern thinking party. However the cynic in me thinks that the timing
of Alan Duncan's revelation has more to do with the struggle within the
party between the right wing and the modernisers.
Jeff Monk, UK
A man or woman's sexuality only becomes an issue when they attempt to gain
advantage as a result. If we wish to treat everyone with equal respect then
this must clearly also apply to homosexuality.
Ian Stannard, UK
It is very sad that some people cannot see beyond a "gay label". Mr Duncan
has achieved a huge amount for both his constituency and the Conservative
Party over the past fifteen years. To suggest now that he is being honest
with his electorate that he is unsuitable to be an MP is laughable. He
should be applauded not castigated.
Matthew Brown, Rutland, UK
His decision was his personal business - it wasn't necessary to announce it
though, as it makes no difference to his ability to serve his post. It's not
an issue - we're in the 21st century now, let's act like it.
Ryan, Oxford, UK
Our MPs are supposed to be representatives of all British citizens. A
sizable proportion of British citizens are gay so why the big deal that an
MP is? Good luck to him!
Janine Eden, Birmingham, UK

Well done to Mr Duncan

Mark
Brave move and well done to Mr Duncan. This should be a wake up call to the
Tories, that bigotry has no place in society these days and political
parties cannot be seen to support it.
Mark
I don't care what an MP's sexuality is, so long as they are honest and don't
lie and vote in the House hypocritically!!
Chris, England
These days I can't think why it matters what someone's sexuality is.
Personally, I don't walk around telling everyone I am heterosexual, so I
can't see why anyone needs to say they are homosexual. It should be a
private matter.
Jean, England
Congratulations to Mr Duncan for making his statement. No, of course it
doesn't matter whether an MP is gay or not - it's what they do in Parliament
that counts, not what they do in bed!
Linda, UK