-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Shannon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 10:10 PM
Subject: [CTRL] Doctor arrested in Florida is a 'terrorist,' too

HREF="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/outlook/1552559";>http:
//www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/outlook/1552559</A>

> Aug. 28, 2002, 6:52PM
>
> Doctor arrested in Florida is a 'terrorist,' too
> By ARSALAN TARIQ IFTIKHAR
>
> ACCORDING to the FBI, a Florida doctor arrested after police found more
than
> 15 homemade explosive devices in his home allegedly drafted a detailed
plan
> to blow up an Islamic educational center. The search of Robert J.
Goldstein's
> residence also turned up a list of about 50 Islamic worship centers in the
> Tampa-St. Petersburg area and other locations in Florida. Attached to the
> criminal complaint against Goldstein was a three-page "mission template"
for
> an attack on an unidentified "Islam education center," which included a
map
> of the center showing where bombs would be placed.
>
> Referring to Webster's Dictionary, "terrorism" is defined as "the unlawful
> use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized
group
> against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing
> societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons."
> According to the damning evidence against the Florida podiatrist, there
> should be absolutely no hesitation in classifying Goldstein as a
"terrorist."

I agree. If his intent was to harm Muslims, he IS a terrorist and should be
charged as one.

J2

> Yet, in news coverage from The Associated Press to CNN, there was not one
> mention of the word "terrorist." However, if we change one facet of this
> scenario, we would have a completely different ballgame.
>
> Instead of Goldstein, let's say his name was Dr. Muhammad. Assume the same
> bomb materials were found in the same Florida home. Instead of blueprints
of
> Islamic centers and mosques, his house was littered with floor plans of
more
> than 50 synagogues and Jewish day schools. In addition to the blueprints
and
> the arsenal, there were scattered pages of his manifesto that claimed to
> eliminate all traces of Judaism from America. Surely, one would be hard
> pressed to find one person alive who would not consider the hypothetical
man
> above a "terrorist."
>
> So why the double standard? There was not one mention of Goldstein's
religion
> or political affiliation in any of the media outlets. It would follow a
> simple logical progression that his fiery hatred of Muslims was either
fueled
> by a dogmatic or political doctrine. Was Goldstein a Jewish extremist who
> wanted to rid this country of all "rags"? Was he a member of a militia
group
> aimed at targeting those affiliated with the terrorists of last September?
We
> don't know, because no one made his political or religious affiliation an
> issue.
>
> On the contrary, the media wasted no time in classifying as a possible
> "terrorist" Hesham Mohamed Hadayet, the man responsible for the shooting
at
> the El Al counter at Los Angeles International Airport in July.

Is it even POSSIBLE for an Arab/Muslim reporter to NOT LIE. Even when he
has a good case?

Hadayet was NOT charged as a terrorist or even called one.
As a matter of fact, it was downplayed by the authorities.
It was the
backlash by Jews and Israelis which made it an issue at all.

J2

> Hadayet, a
> disgruntled limousine driver from Egypt, was automatically categorized as
> possible "terrorist" because he was an Egyptian Muslim. In a rare flash of
> brilliance, the FBI cautioned the media against the classifcation. All
> evidence points to the fact that he was just a discontented limo driver
who
> unjustly took his frustration out on innocent civilians. There were no
AK-47s
> found in his home, no treatise on his hatred of a religious or ethnic
group.
> Yet, Hadayet was vilified as a possible terrorist, while the extent of
> Goldstein's vilification was that he was a "podiatrist from Tampa."
>
> Not all terrorists are Muslims, and not all Muslims are terrorists. I know
> it's hard to believe, but mass violence in the advancement of a personal,
> religious or political agenda is not something exclusive to the Islamic
> paradigm. Before Osama bin Laden became the most infamous terrorist known
> America, Timothy McVeigh used his perverted political agenda to slaughter
168
> innocents, including many children, who were playing at the day-care
center
> in the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building on that fateful day in 1995. Last
> year, Irv Rubin, chairman of the Jewish Defense League, plotted to blow up
> Los Angeles mosque and the office of a U.S. congressman. If these
dastardly
> men are not guilty of terrorism, then no one can be honestly deemed a
> terrorist.
>
> The incarceration of Goldstein shows quite vividly that terrorism knows no
> color or religion. If we want to be consistent with the Justice
Department's