-Caveat Lector-

>>>Sounds as though all the Shrubbies have "devious" plans about one thing or another
<<<

From
http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/epaper/editions/saturday/news_d3e9a6ffa262d127
00c5.html

Bush foes target his 'devious plans'

By Jim Ash and Brian E. Crowley, Palm Beach Post Staff Writers
Saturday, October 5, 2002

TALLAHASSEE -- Democrats pounced on Gov. Jeb Bush Friday, taunting
the governor with his own tape-recorded words saying he has "devious plans" to ignore
voters if they approve a popular state amendment requiring smaller public school class
sizes.

It was a potentially devastating revelation in the final weeks of a close
gubernatorial race in
which improving education -- especially reducing class size -- has been the central
issue of
the campaign.

In other remarks, Bush said that he is ready to take some of the power to give teacher
raises away from school boards, despite a provision in the state constitution requiring
collective bargaining.

A clearly annoyed Bush at first did not want to answer questions about his statements
but
later Friday said he was being "sarcastic" when he discussed the "devious plans" and
did
not know a reporter was at the meeting.

"About two days ago or three days ago, I read in the paper that people were saying
that I
actually wanted the class-size initiative passed so that I would have an excuse to
raise
taxes," Bush said. "My sarcastic response to that was, you know, 'I have a devious
plan.'
That's the context in which this stuff is discussed."

Bill McBride, his Democratic opponent, wasn't buying the explanation.

"The incredulity level here is really, really high," the Tampa lawyer said.

He criticized Bush for "saying one thing in public and something else in private."

McBride said Bush "has to convince the people of Florida that what he says can be
trusted
and what in fact he says he is going to do he will do."

'He needs to own up'

Calling the "devious plans" comment "strong language," McBride said: "If he's got
devious
plans, he needs to own up to them. He needs to talk to the people of Florida about
them.
We're a little over four weeks from an election, and now he's telling closed groups
that he's
got some things he's going to do that he has not talked to the people of Florida
about. I
think that's wrong."

McBride's basting came on the heels of reports that Bush, in the same meeting where he
talked to five Panhandle lawmakers, also joked about "juicy details" regarding an
alleged
lesbian relationship between two former caregivers of missing Miami girl Rilya Wilson
who
were recently arrested.

McBride called the remark "totally inappropriate.... The governor of Florida has got
to be
the governor of everybody, not just people you like or who are like you. He should
retract
that, and if he was quoted correctly, he needs to apologize."

News of the Bush "juicy details" comments even reverberated in Washington. On Friday,
Rep. Peter Deutsch, D-Fort Lauderdale, released a statement criticizing Bush for his
remarks about Rilya Wilson's caretakers.

"This is a time to focus on the needs of Florida's children and the poor state of the
Department of Children and Family Services, not for schoolyard gossip," Deutsch said.

Earlier the state's largest gay and lesbian advocacy organization, Equality Florida,
criticized
Bush's comments as "locker room homophobia."

Bush's staff at first characterized his remarks as not meant to hurt anyone and said
that he
thought he was making the comments in private.

However, the meeting was publicly posted on Bush's daily schedule.

One of the first to pounce on Bush's statements about the class size amendment was Sen.
Kendrick Meek, a Miami Democrat who authored Amendment 9 and helped gather more
than 500,000 signatures to get it on the ballot.

"This is not something that should be taken lightly," Meek said. "It's disturbing not
only to
parents, but it's disturbing for democracy."

Recent polls show the initiative winning with as much as an 80 percent plurality. It
would
require, over a decade, that classrooms in kindergarten through third grade average no
more than 18 students; fourth through eighth, 22; and high school, 25.

Bush and other opponents warn that the cost eventually could skyrocket to $27 billion,
although other economic analysts say it could be closer to $10 billion.

On the tape, recorded by a Pensacola News-Journal reporter at the governor's meeting
and
later posted on the newspaper's Web site, Bush told Republican lawmakers of his plans
for
the class size amendment on the Nov. 5 ballot.

"So I've got a couple of devious plans if this thing passes," Bush says on the tape.
"Voters
will have the full ramifications, including which tax will go up and which programs
(to cut),
to give an alternative."

As for teachers' salaries, Bush said he would wait until after the election to roll
out that
change because he didn't want to appear hypocritical. He has stumped for more autonomy
for individual school districts.

'I want to be consistent'

"It's one of the things we're looking at doing, and I'm not sure we'll do this in the
campaign
because it's just kind of a philosophical reversal on my part, and I don't want to
spend my
time explaining a reversal, I want to be consistent," Bush said.

Maureen Dennin, president of the Florida Education Association, which is McBride's
principal
backer, said Bush's remarks -- coupled with his recently announced $2.8 billion
proposal to
reduce class size through bonding a communications tax -- represents an astonishing
turnaround.

"Three and a half years we've worked on class size and three and a half years we've
worked on teacher pay," Dennin said. "How come 35 days before an election, he's going
into it now? I guess tomorrow I'll wake up, and he'll stop calling me a union boss."

Damien Filer, a spokesman for the Coalition to Reduce Class Size, said Bush's
statements
also add more credence to charges that Bush has been willing to go beyond the bully
pulpit
of his office to fight the initiative.

Filer and other amendment supporters charged that high-level Bush appointees are
improperly using state computers to campaign against the amendment. Last week, Bush's
appointed Secretary of Education, Jim Horne, used the state e-mail system to deliver
"talking points" opposing the amendment to a host of lawmakers and more than 2,000
department employees.

At the Department of Elder Affairs, workers reported a briefing from Secretary Terry
White
warning that passage of the amendment would cost them steep cuts in their programs.

White claims he did not ask workers to vote one way or the other on the amendment.

Lt. Gov. Frank Brogan defended his boss Friday afternoon. "You know the governor has a
streak of satire in him, you all have felt that sword before," Brogan said. "Everybody
needs
to look inward and ask are there conversations at your own home that you wouldn't have
at
your neighborhood barbecue?"

That explanation left Meek more incensed.

"He was speaking his true mind at the meeting," Meek said. "He needs to go to some PTA
meetings and share that and see how they take it."

The Associated Press also contributed to this story.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]@pbpost.com

Breaking News Updated every 15 minutes
»Port Talks Break Off Indefinitely
»Bush Seeks to Answer Iraq Questions
»10 Palestinians Die in Gaza Raid
»Md. Shooting Spree Victim Buried
»Brazil Race Goes to Second Round
»Bosnia Nationalists Poised for Win
»Tokyo Shares Hit New 19-Year Low
»Twins Drop A's 5-4, Advance to ALCS
• More national/world news

Back to Top

Our Partner

 • PBC Civic Groups
 • Top Takeout Eateries
 • Adoptable Pet Photos
 • Fla. Lottery Numbers

Special Sections

• Best of the Palm Beaches

• KidsPost

• Peace Of Mind -

Estate Planning

• Football Preview

• Neighborhood Post

• Hurricane 2002

• Discover Florida

• Palm Beach Life

Dining Guide

• South
• North
• Treasure Coast

Out & About

• Treasure Coast

• Email this page to a friend

Copyright © 2002, The Palm Beach Post. All rights reserved.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway