-Caveat Lector-

War as a Con Game
(Radio Transcript)

Hello and welcome to Review of the News Online. I’m William Norman Grigg, Senior
Editor for The New American magazine ­ an affiliated publication of The John Birch
Society.

In early October, Representative Ron Paul of Texas offered Congress an opportunity to
carry out its constitutional duty regarding issues of war and peace. During a hearing
in the House International Relations committee, writes Rep. Paul, "I attempted to
force the committee to follow the Constitution and vote to declare war with Iraq." Not
a single member of the committee voted in favor of the proposed resolution ­ including
Paul, who proposed it as a way of calling his colleagues’ bluff.

"Congress would rather give up its most important authorized power to the President
and the UN than risk losing an election if the war goes badly," observed Paul. "So
members take half steps, supporting confusingly worded `authorizations’ that they can
back away from easily if necessary." The reaction to Paul’s proposed declaration of
war dispelled the dense rhetorical fog generated by the Bush administration and its
political allies: Apparently the purported threat from Iraq is not as grave as we are
being told.

Of the "use of force" resolution written with White House approval, Paul comments:
"It’s astonishing that the authorization passed by the committee mentions the United
Nations dozens of times, yet does not mention the Constitution once…. By transferring
its authority to declare war to the President and ultimately the UN, Congress not only
violates the Constitution, but also disenfranchises the American electorate."

Some conservative Republicans are willing and eager to alienate the war-declaring
power to President Bush. Among them is Utah Senator Robert Bennett, who has stated: "I
will be voting for the resolution not because I have figured out all of the
unknowables and imponderables relating to it, and not because I am absolutely sure
that the presidential power will be used in the right possible way in every possible
circumstance. I will be doing it because I trust George W. Bush’s instincts."

Why should we trust George W. Bush’s "instincts" regarding the exercise of our
government’s most formidable power ­ that of making war? What insight and wisdom has
he displayed that make him qualified to sort out what Bennett calls "the unknowables
and imponderables" involved in this decision? Or do Bennett and others of his ilk
subscribe to a doctrine that could be summarized thus: "When the President speaks, the
thinking has been done"?

Reciting what has become something of a Republican Party mantra, Bennett insists that
President Bush intends to "use his power to expand and defend liberty throughout the
world…. That should be the policy that we lay down and hold now for generations to
come…. It resonates with the decision of the Founding Fathers when the country was
created…. That is the kind of flag to which I can repair. That is the kind of flag I
can follow."

Bennett has it exactly wrong. None of the Founding Fathers subscribed to the idea that
our nation should embark on grand international crusades to "expand and defend liberty
throughout the world." In his Farewell Address, George Washington ­ the wisest and
noblest of the Founders ­ urged America to preserve our "detached and distant
situation [which] invites and enables us to pursue a different course" from quarreling
kingdoms abroad. By preserving our enlightened neutrality and refraining from
intervention in the affairs of other nations, Washington predicted, we would earn the
favor of honorable people and the respectful fear of potential adversaries. Most
importantly, by maintaining our neutrality we would preserve the liberty to "choose
peace or war, as our interest, guided by justice, shall counsel."

This precious independence is directly threatened by the Bush administration’s
insistence that we make war on Iraq in order to bolster the credibility of the United
Nations.

While the Bush administration is trying to wrap its war plans in the Stars and
Stripes, the flag we would follow into Baghdad would be the sickly pale blue banner of
the United Nations. Consider the following statements from the President’s October 7th
speech:

"America wants the UN to be an effective organization that helps keep the peace. And
that is why we are urging the Security Council to adopt a new resolution setting out
tough, immediate requirements." "America is challenging all nations to take the
resolutions of the UN Security Council seriously." "Saddam Hussein has chosen to build
and keep [chemical and biological] weapons, despite international sanctions, UN
demands and isolation from the civilized world." "I have asked Congress to authorize
the use of America’s military if it proves necessary to enforce UN Security Council
demands." "The resolution [to use force against Iraq] will tell the United Nations,
and all nations, that America speaks with one voice and it is determined to make the
demands of the civilized world mean something."

The last statement illustrates the cynical deception being perpetrated by the Bush
administration. Our nation does not, and cannot, "speak with one voice" in favor of an
aggressive war, particularly one waged to enforce UN resolutions. This is why the
President and his handlers insist on gilding their Iraq policy with sentimental
invocations of the September 11th atrocity. This is a despicable con game,
specifically a bait-and-switch.

In the swindle commonly called a "con game," the key to the swindler’s success is to
earn, and then betray, the confidence of his victims. Our Founding Fathers were
painfully aware of the fact that every government can degenerate into an immense con
game, with grave consequences for liberty and prosperity. In his 1798 Kentucky
Resolution, Thomas Jefferson warned:

"It would be a dangerous delusion were a confidence in the men of our choice to
silence our fears for the safety of our rights…. [C]onfidence is everywhere the parent
of despotism; free government is founded in jealousy and not in confidence; it is
jealousy, and not confidence which prescribes limited constitutions to bind down those
whom we are obliged to trust with power; that our Constitution has accordingly fixed
the limits to which, and no farther, our confidence may go.... In questions of power,
then, let no more be said of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the
chains of the Constitution."

With the help of willing accomplices in Congress, George W. Bush is prying apart the
few remaining links in those constitutional chains. Nothing is more dangerous than an
unchained government.

There is cause for optimism, however. In a September 10th San Francisco Chronicle
column, David R. Henderson, an instructor at the Naval Postgraduate School in
Monterey, California, described a recent encounter with White House counsel Alberto
Gonzalez. In his remarks to the young naval officers, Gonzalez "tried to justify not
just war without a congressional declaration, but also the government’s decision to
imprison U.S. citizens … without charging them with a crime or allowing them a
lawyer," recalled Henderson. Gonzalez also insisted that by acquiescing to the
president in a series of undeclared wars Congress has effectively given up its
war-declaring powers.

As Henderson observes, "Congress’ failure to defend its powers, and the courts’
unwillingness to enforce Congress’ powers, don’t change the words and meaning of the
Constitution. `We can get away with it’ is hardly a strong argument, whether used by
an aspiring Supreme Court justice [like Gonzalez] or by his boss, who took a sacred
oath to defend the Constitution." Henderson’s students agreed with this conclusion: Of
thirteen questions posed to Gonzalez, "12 were hardball questions that challenged
Gonzalez’s expansive claims for presidential power," Henderson reports.

Following the speech, Gonzalez tried to reassure Henderson regarding the purity of the
president’s motives: "Condi Rice and others and I are looking out for how the
president will play in history. We don’t want him to look like some monster who
destroyed our freedom. Trust us." Henderson’s reply was that of a true patriot: "The
Constitution is not based on trust, but on distrust."

This vital principle was understood by the capable young military officers in
Henderson’s class, who are willing to risk their lives to defend the Constitution that
George W. Bush and his minions neither understand nor respect.
-end-
-------------------
The New American Magazine
America's Conservative Magazine
http://www.thenewamerican.com/
"That Freedom Shall Not Perish"
------------------------
-iNFoWaRZ
The U.N. Wants Your Children, Bush Pulls Another Clinton.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/tna/2002/10-21-2002/insider/vo18no21_unesco.htm
Rejoining UNESCO (United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization) was
proposed by the Clinton State Department in 1993. But President Clinton did not have
the political capital to pull it off. Thus it was left to a "conservative" Republican
to do the job.

Hey Bubba.
Yeah, Billy Joe Bob?
Is Busha canservative?
Is yor Daddi a Martian, Billy Joe Bob?
Naw...what's Bush than?
He's a NitedNashuns Cominist Bootlicka, Billie Joe Bob.
Yeee-Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!!!!!!

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>